Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is car insurance for 18+ drivers so expensive in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean I get quotes for £2000 a year and nothing else extremely annoyed

ReputationRep:
    because young male drivers in the UK have a habit of crashing.

ReputationRep:
    Choose a smaller engine'd car.

As an 18 year old driver with 1 years driving experience (tuition), and held my licence since I was 17 and 3 months, i got quoted £1300 for a 1.2L Petrol Corsa (2003).

I just renewed this year and got my insurance for £798 with 1 years NCD.

If you don't crash, or claim, it goes down. You've just got to go with it until it does.

ReputationRep:
    *18+ male drivers.

ReputationRep:
    id just like to point out that my insurance when i was 17, learning, no ncd, ect... was £260 TPO (annually)
    now, 18, full license, bigger engine, 1 year NCD, is £215 TPO (annually)

they are bikes though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fubaring)
    Choose a smaller engine'd car.

As an 18 year old driver with 1 years driving experience (tuition), and held my licence since I was 17 and 3 months, i got quoted £1300 for a 1.2L Petrol Corsa (2003).

I just renewed this year and got my insurance for £798 with 1 years NCD.

If you don't crash, or claim, it goes down. You've just got to go with it until it does.
    cool I am aware of the renewal stuff sounds like the only option but who are you insured with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentno1)
    cool I am aware of the renewal stuff sounds like the only option but who are you insured with?
    First insurer was Quinn, got a new quote and went with aviva for the second.

Quinn have gone into administration, and as a result wanted £1500 off me for my renewal with them. I told them to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Also check what Fully comp quotes are - when I was looking first time around, Third Party only, or third party, fire and theft, were more expensive than fully comp. Don't let it deceive you.

ReputationRep:
    Insurance sky high because of the "claim culture".
    With the slightest shunt " oooo i've got whiplash"
    hmmmm that must be worth 3 grand!
    Someone has to pay for all those bogus claims = 18+ drivers. simple

ReputationRep:
    Statisically, you are the biggest risk group and as the above poster says, underwriting costs have sky-rocketed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentno1)
    I mean I get quotes for £2000 a year and nothing else extremely annoyed
    Think yourself lucky, I got quoted £3,900 for a 0.9!

ReputationRep:
    you are in the same boat as me :/
    2 weeks i ago i checked my insurance on a 1 litre corsa .... around £2200 or £1600 with ikube ( restriction on driving from 11 pm to 5 am)

got paid today and was going to buy the car and double checked my quote ...it was £4200....apparently prices have gone up by nearly 50% today ...due to start of the winter!

:/ HEEEEEEEEEEEELP
    • TSR Support Team

Statistically young drivers cause more accidents

ReputationRep:
    Statistics don't mean anything to the individual. What about the 18 year old drivers who are perfectly safe, don't speed, don't have any accidents that are their fault, and STILL have to pay in excess of £2000?

I paid £1800 in my first year for a 1.4 Astra, now paying £1300 a year with a 1 years NCB. It's extortionate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Statistics don't mean anything to the individual. What about the 18 year old drivers who are perfectly safe, don't speed, don't have any accidents that are their fault, and STILL have to pay in excess of £2000?

I paid £1800 in my first year for a 1.4 Astra, now paying £1300 a year with a 1 years NCB. It's extortionate.
    Insurance companies are robbers just they provide a service you have to legally obide to. You are paying a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Because of yound drivers that think they are god's gift to driving and think that they know everything, when they have only been driving a year!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because ALL young drivers are like that :rolleyes:

I'm not claiming to be an amazing driver, I've had a few close calls but managed to avoid them all and I would only really blame myself for one, and it was not through dangerous driving or pulling emergency turns in a street!

At least, the 1 year no claim bonus should be much greater. If you were going to crash, you're going to crash in your first year of driving. After you've been driving for like 6 months +, the whole speed freak thing dies down and you end up being a more responsible driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnC2211)
    Yes, because ALL young drivers are like that :rolleyes:
    Yes in the eyes of the insurance company, you are a statistic, a numerical risk, you are not a person. You are in a group.

ReputationRep:
    who cares if a young driver dies it was his fault do not put his death into our shoulders who are safe drivers

ReputationRep:
    Mine was very expensive in my first year...in my second year my mum put me as a named driver for her which made it around £600 a year. If your parents are willing to do so then try and do that. The only problem is if you crash...it ruins their no claims, but my mum was happy to do it because she didn't have no claims anyway as she'd had a crash the year before.

(Original post by alixxxxxx1)
      Mine was very expensive in my first year...in my second year my mum put me as a named driver for her which made it around £600 a year. If your parents are willing to do so then try and do that. The only problem is if you crash...it ruins their no claims, but my mum was happy to do it because she didn't have no claims anyway as she'd had a crash the year before.
      And fronting is illegal, and you have no cover whatsoever when the insurance company realises you're the one driving the car most.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.