Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Students in Favour Of Tuition Fee Reform Discussion Watch

ReputationRep:
    Came across this today on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Studen...2913221?v=wall

It has relatively small members at the moment but I think it was only made this morning. Have you seen similar groups/pages on facebook?

Can you counter the argument put forward in the page info? And will you be joining it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I have thought how much damage has been done by buzz words like debt and such in the context the NUS uses it.

Hmm it would seem more accurate to call it a tax in many respects. It is a much better system than Labour's alternative. Extra tax for 30 years or extra tax for the rest of your life?

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested to hear more views?

ReputationRep:
    Hi i just want to ask is there any financial support such as student loan available for Non-EU/UK students wanting to study in UK, USA, or Australia?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I support the fee rises but I'm not going to join any Facebook groups.

(Original post by jiperis)
    Hi i just want to ask is there any financial support such as student loan available for Non-EU/UK students wanting to study in UK, USA, or Australia?

Thanks.
    From your own country, maybe. From the UK government, no.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azimuth)
    I support the fee rises but I'm not going to join any Facebook groups.

From your own country, maybe. From the UK government, no.
    Why is that? Do you fear backlash if you publicly announce your views on facebook where a lot of students are likely to see them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    Why is that? Do you fear backlash if you publicly announce your views on facebook where a lot of students are likely to see them?
    No, I just tend not to join Facebook groups. My views aren't a secret at all.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    bump
    Hey ho, I'm the one who made that group this morning. Mostly because I was interested in who agreed with the new reforms (I wrote the long thing but now it's just a link to my site rather than a tl;dr on the FB page) in contrast with the huge groups put together by the NUS and suchlike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliceStory)
    Hey ho, I'm the one who made that group this morning. Mostly because I was interested in who agreed with the new reforms (I wrote the long thing but now it's just a link to my site rather than a tl;dr on the FB page) in contrast with the huge groups put together by the NUS and suchlike.
    Good stuff, I personally think it is fantastic that there is a growing lobby of students that are rational and don't believe the hype thrust upon on them by the media and NUS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I created the site tuitionvoice.com on the weekend as a platform for students to raise their concerns about the fee rises and the education cuts.

I am a rational and reasonably well educated human being and I understand that in the current climate cuts need to be made, however, I disagree whole heartedly that the deficit created by the previous generations should be levvied on the youth and the future of this country which is exactly what the reforms would do.

However, I am not a closed minded person and I would welcome constructive disagreements here and on the forums of my site as I believe that both sides have valid arguments and that this is more of a grey area than a black and white one.

Regards,

Dan

tuitionvoice.com

ReputationRep:
    Im also for the fee rise, but I wont be joining the group. No reason why, I just dont really tend to join groups on FB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuitionvoice)
    Hi guys,
    I created the site tuitionvoice.com on the weekend as a platform for students to raise their concerns about the fee rises and the education cuts.

I am a rational and reasonably well educated human being and I understand that in the current climate cuts need to be made, however, I disagree whole heartedly that the deficit created by the previous generations should be levvied on the youth and the future of this country which is exactly what the reforms would do.

However, I am not a closed minded person and I would welcome constructive disagreements here and on the forums of my site as I believe that both sides have valid arguments and that this is more of a grey area than a black and white one.

Regards,

Dan

tuitionvoice.com
    Hi Dan,

You say you're against the deficit created by the previous generations being levied on the youth and the future of this country, but I have two issues with this:

1- If you agree cuts need to be made, surely you agree with the mindset that the state needs to be rolled back, what better way to implement and encourage this behavior than on the young generation? They are more likely to grow up and be more responsible in the future.

2- If these cuts are not made, then in the long run the deficit will continue to grow and grow and grow. Surely for future generations cutting the deficit now will brighten their prospects and horizons rather than letting it build up to a catastrophic scale.

Look forward to your reply.

ReputationRep:
    Joined yesterday and shared the Link with all my peers on Facebook who have been easily hyped up by media and the NUS! Might make them think a bit more for themselves rather than just listen to that bol*** been spread around in the past weeks
    I absolutely support those changes in the system!

ReputationRep:
    Nice group but I tend to not join political groups on facebook.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Regards,

Dan

tuitionvoice.com
    What do you mean when you say that the deficit created by the previous generations will be levied on the youth? That makes it sound like a charge is being imposed on young people in order to pay for the profligacy of the older generation; in fact it is the young people who will be getting the rewards of the education that they pay for. What's more, the payments they make will be lower per-month than the repayments made by graduates of the current system.

The new system is still an excellent deal for students; perhaps not as good as it was when education was paid for only by the taxpayer, but still an excellent deal. The biggest harm, I think, is being done by students' unions and politicians who are using it as an excuse to score partisan political points by claiming that it will make it impossible for poor students to go to university. It's an argument that is based entirely on peoples' fear of big numbers - in fact there is no reason to worry about even a large student debt (and I speak as someone with £28,000 of student debt) - and ultimately it is this endless repetition of the claim that university is now impossible for the disadvantaged that will convince those disadvantaged people that they cannot afford it. If this were really about helping the less well off the opposition would do better to simply say yes, you will be in a lot of debt when you graduate, but the repayments will be extremely manageable and will depend only on your personal income, so there's no reason to worry that your parents don't have the income to pay them off for you. That would be both accurate and encouraging, unlike the scaremongering which is politically expedient but both disingenuous and damaging.

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that cuts should come and that a lower deficit will benefit the youth, however, I do not believe that cuts to the educaiton and the tripling of tuition fees is the answer to reducing the deficit on a moral level or a strategic one. Morally - I believe that it will still be an unfair system- even with the introduction of a graduate tax - it is still a fact that the less you earn the slower you will repay off the debt - and you can bet your life when interests rates go back up, the councils will lick there lips and it will be the lower earning out of uni bracket who will be the ones suffering trying to manage their massive loan repayments.

Strategically - surely cuts to defence, decentralisation and a restructured progressive tax system should come before cuts to higher education? I could maybe see why after a couple of years of squeezing all they can out of restructuring, Cameron turning around and saying, "sorry we tried, but we just cant carry on without taking money out of the higher education pot" - but I lament the fact it is the first thing on the agenda - which is why I and a lot of other people voted for Lib Dem!

ReputationRep:
    We now have over 700 members

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Studen...2913221?v=info

Fantastic effort, shows there are still rational students around.

ReputationRep:
    I do believe that cuts should come and that a lower deficit will benefit the youth, however, I do not believe that cuts to the educaiton and the tripling of tuition fees is the answer to reducing the deficit on a moral level or a strategic one. Morally - I believe that it will still be an unfair system- even with the introduction of a graduate tax - it is still a fact that the less you earn the slower you will repay off the debt - and you can bet your life when interests rates go back up, the councils will lick there lips and it will be the lower earning out of uni bracket who will be the ones suffering trying to manage their massive loan repayments.

Strategically - surely cuts to defence, decentralisation and a restructured progressive tax system should come before cuts to higher education? I could maybe see why after a couple of years of squeezing all they can out of restructuring, Cameron turning around and saying, "sorry we tried, but we just cant carry on without taking money out of the higher education pot" - but I lament the fact it is the first thing on the agenda - which is why I and a lot of other people voted for Lib Dem!
    I'm not certain that this is true (though it probably is), due to the fact that the payable interest also rises with earnings. However, this is like saying that it's unfair that rich people can buy Ferraris, and poor people can't. Yeah, it is, but that's just an inherent fact of life - there are people with more money than other people, and those people have easier lives. If you're charging people money for something, people who already have more money will have an easier time. I don't think that that's a valid criticism of the proposals.

Additionally, every government department has had its budget cut (except health and international development), higher education wasn't "first on the adgenda".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.