Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hope this is the right section.

My sister is staying with her boyfriend's mum over xmas, she wants to get the mum something but doesn't know what. She asked me but I haven't got a clue. Originally my sister wanted to bake something but now she's found out that the mum has a weird diet so wouldn't eat anything so that idea is out. What other possible gifts could she give?

I know this sounds like a small issue but my sister's a bit weird with people and is quite desperate to be liked so doesn't want to muck this up. I'm no help as I'm bad with people too, but I really want to help her. The boyfriend's mum is quite posh as well which makes things harder.

Any ideas?

tldr: my sister is staying with a posh woman, wants to give her a gift doesn't know what.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps some bath stuff? women always respond well to that

ReputationRep:
    I would go into BHS and they usually have those little gifts.

ReputationRep:
    punch in the face.

:boxing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    perhaps some bath stuff? women always respond well to that
    I've yet to find anyone who enjoys receiving bath stuff as a gift, even if they buy it for other people. It's a bad gift.

ReputationRep:
    A nice house plant... I gave my girlfriends mum a plant when i first met her... went down a treat!!

ReputationRep:
    Get him an xbox so you both can play.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe class it as a Christmas present, not a visiting present?

A box of chocolates? Bottle of wine? Go to a large marks and spencers, they usually have a nice selection of Xmas gifts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I've yet to find anyone who enjoys receiving bath stuff as a gift, even if they buy it for other people. It's a bad gift.
    but its a SAFE gift they're not going to be like eww bath stuff, are they? because they can use it

ReputationRep:
    but its a SAFE gift they're not going to be like eww bath stuff, are they? because they can use it
    aye and if someone went to Lush and bought me a load of bath bombs I'd be like "THANK YOU SO MUCH!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullyTragic)
    Maybe class it as a Christmas present, not a visiting present?

A box of chocolates? Bottle of wine? Go to a large marks and spencers, they usually have a nice selection of Xmas gifts
    My sister stayed with her a couple of years ago and gave her a bottle of mulled wine, so probably not a good idea to repeat the same thing I should have mentioned that before sorry. But marks and spencers is a good idea, I'll direct her there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    aye and if someone went to Lush and bought me a load of bath bombs I'd be like "THANK YOU SO MUCH!!"
    Haha! Is this sarcasm? Because I would actually be quite happy with lush bath bombs they're so nice

ReputationRep:
    A massive ribbed dildo and a sly wink.

Alternatively chocolates (risky though since could be on a diet or something), wine (probably red), or bath stuff as people have said.

EDIT: Just read about mulled wine, I vote bath stuff

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Is this sarcasm? Because I would actually be quite happy with lush bath bombs they're so nice

it wasn't sarcasm, they are amazing, Lush is amazing. I love how you can smell the shops so strongly before you even enter. I don't like all the flavours obviously but most are great, only issue is some tend to stain the bath a time or ones which contain flower petals and such leave a bit of a mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    it wasn't sarcasm, they are amazing, Lush is amazing. I love how you can smell the shops so strongly before you even enter. I don't like all the flavours obviously but most are great, only issue is some tend to stain the bath a time or ones which contain flower petals and such leave a bit of a mess.
    Haha, wow! That's a first, never come across a guy liking lush before.. But yeah agreed, there are some ones which are too sweet for me.. and I love how you come out and smell of it for like the whole rest of the day :P

ReputationRep:
    Haha, wow! That's a first, never come across a guy liking lush before.. But yeah agreed, there are some ones which are too sweet for me.. and I love how you come out and smell of it for like the whole rest of the day :P
    I don't mind sweet ones at all, it's strong flavours like mint, or spicy ones, which I don't like. Sweet and/or fruity is the best.

ANYWAY OP I just had a revelation. Why can't she ask her boyfriend what sort of thing his mum likes, then he can help her buy something?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.