Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is it, you may ask?

Well, by encouraging the young to go to university, and then, making them spend the rest of their youth in debt and working like slaves - is it not possible to see a sort of covert imposition of slavery?

Sex workers end up in the save position-brought to a "better" country but ending up with lots of debt, then forced to work to just pay back the money they have amassed.

People think slavery is gone or almost gone in the 21st century, but far from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my_username_was_taken)
    How is it, you may ask?

Well, by encouraging the young to go to university, and then, making them spend the rest of their youth in debt and working like slaves - is it not possible to see a sort of covert imposition of slavery?

Sex workers end up in the save position-brought to a "better" country but ending up with lots of debt, then forced to work to just pay back the money they have amassed.

People think slavery is gone or almost gone in the 21st century, but far from it.
    So you think people should be your slaves instead? Because by getting a free uni education you are enslaving all the people who do already work, their pay is funding yours...

ReputationRep:
    What is this I don't even...

ReputationRep:
    How is it, you may ask?

So much fail...

No one forces you to go to university and no one forces you to work after. If you don't work the debt is written off.

ReputationRep:

In Soviet Russia, university spends YOU!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mac_manutd)
    So much fail...

No one forces you to go to university and no one forces you to work after. If you don't work the debt is written off.
    this
    also, those sex workers evidently decided that being in the new and improved country was worth the cost of being a sex worker
    same for uni fees. they're worth it for your degree.
    in fact, you pay slightly less to go to uni than the actual cost of your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mac_manutd)
    So much fail...

Society forces people. The most intelligent are basically forced by teachers, parents etc under the belief the only way to make something of themselves is through higher education. Even people less intelligent are forced to go as they feel to make something and/or better themselves they need to.

And yes you are kind of forced to work after by the debt, and if you don't yes you would get JSA but with the new plans you will be FORCED to take a job after a period of time if it becomes available, so yes you are forced to work.

ReputationRep:
    It's insulting to the millions of people across the world who really are enslaved and to whom slavery is a very real and miserable concept, that you would even make this comparison.

(Why was I negged for this?)

ReputationRep:
    If we don't post our tutorial minutes each week we get the cat o' nine tails or shipped off to another uni

ReputationRep:
    Society forces people. The most intelligent are basically forced by teachers, parents etc under the belief the only way to make something of themselves is through higher education. Even people less intelligent are forced to go as they feel to make something and/or better themselves they need to.

And yes you are kind of forced to work after by the debt, and if you don't yes you would get JSA but with the new plans you will be FORCED to take a job after a period of time if it becomes available, so yes you are forced to work.
    No society doesn't force people, I think you need to learn what forced means. The idea of comparing sex slavery to universities is laughable and an insult to anyone who has ever endured real slavery, stop being so melodramatic.

ReputationRep:
    How is it, you may ask?

This thread currently sounds stupid, but I suspect it's because of your vocabulary. Replace slavery with usury.

But then again, people choose to go to university.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    How is it, you may ask?

Literally the most insulting thread I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:

Surely the JSA is the same for everybody, not just graduates?

And no you're no forced to work because of the debt :facepalm: In fact you could even argue that there is more incentive to get an easy, low paying job (well, below £21k) so you don't have to pay any debt back.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting responses so far, thanks

ReputationRep:
    How is it, you may ask?

er, I'm pretty sure you can leave anytime, just ask your head lecturer or your employer, see if they care :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How is it, you may ask?

With respect, this is completely wrong. Student debt is not like private debt; the repayments vary according to your income, so no-one will ever be forced to work because of the debt - if they aren't earning they don't have to make any repayments. Repayments are currently 9% of net income above £15,000; under the proposed new scheme they will be 9% of net income above £21,000. They do not vary with the size of the debt and they are not set at a particularly onerous level.

This sort of misunderstanding is why I would love the opponents of fee reform to shut up. Their claims about students in debt lead young people to think that going to university is comparable to getting a mortgage or a large bank loan. It isn't, and it is dishonest of the protesters and the politicians to imply that it is in order to score cheap points.

ReputationRep:
    This is still terrible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.