Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I got a space frame problem involving rigidly jointed 3d space frame with beam members.

Im confused as to how to go about doing this question , ie. what the first few steps are. I found this Q on the net and it is similar to a question in some past exam papers I am looking at.

'The space frame shown consists of three mutually perpendicular beam members, rigidly connected at node 1 with fully fixed supports at nodes 2 3 4. Members are identical and have lengths of 2m and a hollow circular crosssection.

Using the finite element approach, assembe overall stiffnes matrix of the complete structure and construct load vector with reference to gobal coordinate system XYZ.

I just want to know what the typical method would be for a 3d beam space frame like this, I am not clear as to what needs to be done in what order. Also, is there some sort of method which is only used when you have mutually perpendicular members like in this Q?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give on how to approach a Q like this,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.