Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does it make sense to say: "ich nehme ihr Angebot an, das Steak statt dem Fisch zu essen" or should it be "des" in front of fisch instead?? If someone with a good knowledge of german could answer I would really appreciate it. Isn't statt or anstatt a genitive preposition which would make it des?

ReputationRep:
    what you have written, is fine........... after all i study german, and i'm pretty sure that des does not exist :/

(Original post by GeographyEllie)
      what you have written, is fine........... after all i study german, and i'm pretty sure that des does not exist :/
      Des is nein gut! Ya?

ReputationRep:
      Fair enough, i made a mistake, sorry but what you put OP in the frist place is the best

Fair enough, i made a mistake, sorry but what you put OP in the frist place is the best
        I was only amplifying your point, 'des' is not a word.

My sentence should have been 'Das ist...'.

ReputationRep:
        OH!! Sorry, I thought you were telling me I was wrong what a douche! I should try opening my eyes! thanks I thought it wasn't a word!

ReputationRep:
        So des has nothing to do with the genitive then? Statt is technically a genitive preposition, but as far as I know what you've said is correct.

ReputationRep:
        Des does exist, but you're right not to use it in this sentence...it's used in the genitive case

ReputationRep:
        Des is a genitive article. Your sentence seems fine though.

ReputationRep:
        OH!! Sorry, I thought you were telling me I was wrong what a douche! I should try opening my eyes! thanks I thought it wasn't a word!
        which level do you study at?:rolleyes: "des" is an article/word...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by supernova92)
        which level do you study at?:rolleyes: "des" is an article/word...
        Level 2 GCSE :/
        it may be that I've personally never used it
        damn, i fell really dumb know :/

ReputationRep:
        Actually, technically speaking it should be "des Fisches", because (an)statt is a genitive preposition. However, as we all know, der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod, and colloquially speaking you can get away with "dem".

(Incidentally, are you aiming for "I accept your offer" or "I accept her offer"? If 'your', then it needs to be Ihr with a capital I)

ReputationRep:
        Thanks katalystic, i didn't know whether I should use des Fishes or dem but as long as dem isn't wrong I'll use that. I meant to put a capital I on Ihr to say your offer but I sometimes forget capitals when typing!

ReputationRep:
        'des' does exist. e.g. Der Hut des Mannes. The hat of the man.

"ich nehme ihr Angebot an, das Steak statt dem Fisch zu essen" is fine at a higher level, i.e. A-Level or IB, where they like colloquialism. However, if you're studying for GCSE, you risk being penalised because it is technically inaccurate German, and GCSE focuses more on technical accuracy rather than colloquialisms. Therefore, it is safer to say "ich nehme Ihr Angebot an, das Steak statt des Fisches zu essen".

If you are studing at A-Level or IB, use colloquialisms where possible, but only if you are confident in using them. Sometimes they can go horribly wrong and that's where you'd be penalised!

ReputationRep:
        Hey,

I´m German. The correct sentence would be:"Ich nehme Ihr Angebot an, das Steak statt des Fisches zu essen."
        Ihr with capital i. And don´t forget that german quotation marks before the sentence are on the downside!

You could also say "dem Fisch", it´s not correct, but acceptable. A lot of Germans hardly use the genitive anymore.

Is this a sentence from a book or did you write it yourself? It´s not a sentence anyone would use in a restaurant, it sounds funny when you say it like this!
        Its too formal and "too correct" or very oldfashioned.
        Just checking

Take care
        Teresa

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.