Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So....who should pay for uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And by saying government you are admitting to a belief in their bottomless leprechaun pot of gold

Just wondering who you actually think should pay, is all

ReputationRep:
    your mum

and dad

ReputationRep:
    The government should subsidise some of the cost, where do they think we're going to get the money from to pay for uni?

The end result will be less and less people going to uni and instead going straight into jobs/volunteer work.. which will inevitably lead to many becoming unemployed due to the high demand for jobs and the government will then have to pay for their benefits. job done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    The government should subsidise some of the cost, where do they think we're going to get the money from to pay for uni?

The end result will be less and less people going to uni and instead going straight into jobs/volunteer work.. which will inevitably lead to many becoming unemployed due to the high demand for jobs and the government will then have to pay for their benefits. job done.
    *The taxpayer

or do you believe in the pot of gold

ReputationRep:
    Football players.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder who paid for David Cameron's education?

Mummy and Daddy, I guess.

rich *******s.

ReputationRep:
    I think Orwell would have despaired at how influential doublespeak is

Government=Taxpayer

Taxpayer=Worker

"The worker should pay for my uni education" doesn't ring the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charcharchar)
    I wonder who paid for David Cameron's education?

Mummy and Daddy, I guess.

rich *******s.
    Not his university education. He got a government grant.

ReputationRep:
    The individual should pay, why should the worker have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    Who will benefit the most from this education?

Students should pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    And by saying government you are admitting to a belief in their bottomless leprechaun pot of gold
    Is that where they're getting £8bn from to get some new trains?

Fair enough, the railways need modernising. However, the timing of the announcement just seems wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You should pay for it yourself. Maybe with a full loan, it might get people to think more seriously about what they do, put more thought into what they'll do after and whether they might do better not going to uni. Obviously there'd be a lot of problems with that, it's not exactly a solution but..! It's obviously pretty much impossible to have much money saved straight after college for uni though.

ReputationRep:
    If students want to study at uni then they have to pay what the governments put forward. If you can't afford it then tough, blame your parents for not studying hard enough and getting proper jobs. Stop moaning you pathetic ****!

ReputationRep:
    I think the student should be made to pay for their own debt, no one else's and all of their own.

ReputationRep:
    Im the one going to uni, im the one getting a degree, im the one that should pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattwhite)

Fair enough, the railways need modernising. However, the timing of the announcement just seems wrong.
    No, they're getting that from raising ticket prices.

ReputationRep:
    Graduates bring money into the economy, especially in a knowledge-based economy such as the UK. Everyone in society benefits from a high quality education system.

People who haven't been to university themselves seem to think that their tax money is being spent by students. Perhaps they should consider the money that graduates are putting in everybody's pockets by bringing wealth into society.

To those who believe that HE is a luxury, I wonder if they feel the same way about other publicly-funded institutions. For example, would they feel happy to pay for medical care for non-fatal conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    Football players.
    I completely agree!! I think those idiots that kick a ball around a field for more money in 1 week than the majority earn in a year should contribute massively. 1 weeks wages would pay for loads of students to go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattwhite)

They raised ticket prices for this. If you look at current infrastructure, railways in the UK are in a fairly poor condition and have needed upgrading for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ungeziefer)
    Graduates bring money into the economy, especially in a knowledge-based economy such as the UK. Everyone in society benefits from a high quality education system.

People who haven't been to university themselves seem to think that their tax money is being spent by students. Perhaps they should consider the money that graduates are putting in everybody's pockets by bringing wealth into society.

To those who believe that HE is a luxury, I wonder if they feel the same way about other publicly-funded institutions. For example, would they feel happy to pay for medical care for non-fatal conditions?
    I have been to university; I just graduated with about £28000 of student debt. The repayments will be small; under the new system they would be smaller. I don't have to pay anything back until I'm earning £15,000; under the new system this would be £21,000. The effect on my credit rating is positive. I had to find no money up front.

I say this to make the point that the student loan system is not onerous for students, and nor is it about to become onerous; students will pay for their education with some help from the state, which loans them the money and ensures the repayments are not too burdensome. This seems to me to accord very well with the impact of education: it is beneficial to the country but it is most beneficial to the person receiving it, who will have improved earning potential and employment opportunities.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.