Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering im a international student applying to harvard/yale and some others and i was just wondering is it true that the only academic things in your application are your undergraduate GPA and your LSAT score?
    so your Gcse's and a levels don't get taken into account?

thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trimmy)
    i was just wondering im a international student applying to harvard/yale and some others and i was just wondering is it true that the only academic things in your application are your undergraduate GPA and your LSAT score?
    so your Gcse's and a levels don't get taken into account?

thanks guys
    GPA and LSAT will be 99% of the admissions decision, with EC's being the other 1%. Good EC's will not makeup for poor GPA and LSAT. But good EC's with a 4.0 and 170+ will almost secure you a T14 law school.

Oh and they don't care about how you did in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    They get taken into account, particularly if you haven't gone to a top university for your undergraduate - a 1st from the likes of say Nottingham Trent, is not on par with a 1st from say Yale, Princeton, Harvard (or Cambridge/LSE in the UK )etc - and these are the level of top applicants you'll be competing against.

My sister has just started her law degree at Harvard, and she graduated SCL (highest honours) from her undergraduate class at Princeton and is an olympic level swimmer for the US - not saying you'll have to necessarily be that good, but this is the level of competition you're facing (particularly as an international applicant). Also as far as I am aware, they also don't offer scholarships for graduate schools on a wide basis, so expect to be paying a lot for the pleasure of studying in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    But good EC's with a 4.0 and 170+ will almost secure you a T14 law school.1.
    University reputation shall also matter, particularly given the high calibre level of people applying. In other words, a 1st from a Top 30+ university does not equal a first from a Top 10 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    They get taken into account, particularly if you haven't gone to a top university for your undergraduate - a 1st from the likes of say Nottingham Trent, is not on par with a 1st from say Yale, Princeton, Harvard (or Cambridge/LSE in the UK )etc - and these are the level of top applicants you'll be competing against.

My sister has just started her law degree at Harvard, and she graduated SCL (highest honours) from her undergraduate class at Princeton and is an olympic level swimmer for the US - not saying you'll have to necessarily be that good, but this is the level of competition you're facing (particularly as an international applicant). Also as far as I am aware, they also don't offer scholarships for graduate schools on a wide basis, so expect to be paying a lot for the pleasure of studying in the US.
    That was a good example. It's really not even that extreme of one either.

One of my tutors did his undergrad at Georgia Tech (top US engineering uni) with a 4.0, did a masters there as well. Got a 177 on the LSAT, and didn't make it in to Harvard. Ended up doing the JD at Georgetown.

ReputationRep:
    University reputation shall also matter, particularly given the high calibre level of people applying. In other words, a 1st from a Top 30+ university does not equal a first from a Top 10 etc.
    Agreed. That's why I said a T14 law school as opposed to HYS. I personally don't think a first from Nottingham Trent w/ a good LSAT score would get him into HYS. But I do think it would give him a shot at a T14.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    One of my tutors did his undergrad at Georgia Tech (top US engineering uni) with a 4.0, did a masters there as well. Got a 177 on the LSAT, and didn't make it in to Harvard. Ended up doing the JD at Georgetown.
    Holy Jebus!

A 177! and still didn't get into Harvard?! Wow - I remember my sister sitting the LSAT and saying pretty much everyday, how it was one of the hardest tests she had studied for (i.e. with the aim of getting high marks etc).

ReputationRep:
    How much would it matter if someone did their undergrad at a top uni with an overall excellent international reputation, but with a weaker reputation for their subject specifically?

Also how important are alevels/gcses they if the rest of the application is Strong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valh)
    How much would it matter if someone did their undergrad at a top uni with an overall excellent international reputation, but with a weaker reputation for their subject specifically?

Also how important are alevels/gcses they if the rest of the application is Strong?
    International reputation of the university matters and they'll likely consider this in context of the subject your doing - its the same method used here in the US.

Some schools who are not in the Ivy league (and thus don't have that reputation they do), still nonetheless have top subject-specific schools in the US. The likes of say MIT/Caltech etc being prominent examples. So, they'll definitely consider your university reputation, but in the context of how good it is for your subject too.

If you go to a top school, have very good EC's and a excellent LSAT score, GCSE's and A-levels shall have a negligible effect on your outcome, if any - its something you studied well over 4/5 years ago now, so its bears little relevance to things now considering your BA is the latest stage of your educational attainment.

ReputationRep:
    International reputation of the university matters and they'll likely consider this in context of the subject your doing - its the same method used here in the US.

Some schools who are not in the Ivy league (and thus don't have that reputation they do), still nonetheless have top subject-specific schools in the US. The likes of say MIT/Caltech etc being prominent examples. So, they'll definitely consider your university reputation, but in the context of how good it is for your subject too.

If you go to a top school, have very good EC's and a excellent LSAT score, GCSE's and A-levels shall have a negligible effect on your outcome, if any - its something you studied well over 4/5 years ago now, so its bears little relevance to things now considering your BA is the latest stage of your educational attainment.
    i didn't think you put down your GCSE's or a levels? it thought it was all down to the lsat and undergrad?

ReputationRep:
    They'll ask for what high school (basically your secondary and sixth form schools) you went to on your application form and as a result, provide you with space where you list the examinations (name, date and grades attained) whilst at that school(s).

It was the same case with my sister - she had to ring them up and ask for her certificates etc. Whether it played a huge or significant part in her application, I wouldn't say so, b/c she was in the process of attaining an undergraduate degree from Princeton (which trumps what you did almost 4/5 years ago now, through common sense).

ReputationRep:
    They'll ask for what high school (basically your secondary and sixth form schools) you went to on your application form and as a result, provide you with space where you list the examinations (name, date and grades attained) whilst at that school(s).

It was the same case with my sister - she had to ring them up and ask for her certificates etc. Whether it played a huge or significant part in her application, I wouldn't say so, b/c she was in the process of attaining an undergraduate degree from Princeton (which trumps what you did almost 4/5 years ago now, through common sense).
    What your sister applied to Harvard Law school, and so they do take GCSE's and A levels into account, could you not just simply list the subjects you studied?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.