Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of switching from computing to physics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there im thinking of switching from computing to physics. I dont really enjoy computing and I've grown a passion to hate it. I have however, looked at some physics textbooks and they look very interesting, and, it looks like a mathsy-type of subject that I would enjoy.

Is it wise to change now?

What do you guys think?

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Bump (urgent)!

ReputationRep:
    do it
    physics is the best
    are you wearing any nike right now? look at the logo, it should say 'just do it'.

ReputationRep:
    Physics at alevel is newtonian mechanics. You will learn number of formulas. And you will be able to tackle vast range of problems.
    I say do it. It is actually straight forward if you have normal imagination. =D

ReputationRep:
    Hah thanks guys.

I'm worried that I will be quite far back- but the longer I leave it the further I will be behind. So I'll need to make a decision today.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Personally - I wouldn't change this late into the course. I think you need to figure out WHY you are hating computing at the minute - is it just this part of the course, or is the whole subject? Things could get better.

If you dont think they WILL get better, then perhaps you should talk to someone from the Physics department to see what they think.

ReputationRep:
    From boring to more boring. I joke, I kid.

If everyone else on your course is enjoying it then there's a sign that it's just not right for you. Make sure you aren't feeling like this cos of something else like stress, deadlines, a particular module etc. It's a lot of money you're investing into it and it channels your future career choices so best going for the one you're more passionate about.
    Is this interest in Physics a recent thing? You don't want to make such a big decision based on a phase...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephRedfern)
    Personally - I wouldn't change this late into the course. I think you need to figure out WHY you are hating computing at the minute - is it just this part of the course, or is the whole subject? Things could get better.

If you dont think they WILL get better, then perhaps you should talk to someone from the Physics department to see what they think.
    Well I thought we'd be doing alot more programming, but its just an endless amount of theory work- very boring and annoying. And I'm more into the programming side of things than the theoritical stuff behind it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Easykill)
    From boring to more boring. I joke, I kid.

If everyone else on your course is enjoying it then there's a sign that it's just not right for you. Make sure you aren't feeling like this cos of something else like stress, deadlines, a particular module etc. It's a lot of money you're investing into it and it channels your future career choices so best going for the one you're more passionate about.
    Is this interest in Physics a recent thing? You don't want to make such a big decision based on a phase...
    I wouldnt say its a recent thing, I've been thinking about doing it for over a month now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.