Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are we supposed to do with our stuff during term break? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Probably should have figured this all out before I came, but I just realised I don't actually know whether we're allowed to leave our things here over the Christmas break or we have to bring it all home and then back again at the beginning of next term. Do they rent our rooms out or are we allowed to leave most of it behind?

Kinda hoping I can leave it as I brought quite a lot and my family don't have a car... it was a nightmare getting it here!

Dunno if it differs from uni to uni, but if it does I'm at Sussex.

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You need to check with your halls people.

I could leave my stuff over the Christmas and Easter holidays, but I know people from other universities couldn't.

Seems more common to be able to though - check your contract (the amount of weeks you pay for should give you an idea).

ReputationRep:
    At the very least you could have put this in the Sussex forum.
    Or just phone/email and ask.

ReputationRep:
    It would probably depend whether you've got your room for the whole year or whether you just have it during term time (i.e. it gets used by other people during the hols). Even if you have to move your stuff out you might well be able to leave some stuff in a cupboard or somewhere.

But definitely check with your accom people - or tbh just ask your next-door neighbour, they'll probably know!

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be mainly Oxford and Cambridge that don't let you keep your stuff in your room; Sussex should be ok, but it won't hurt to ring or email the accommodation people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    It seems to be mainly Oxford and Cambridge that don't let you keep your stuff in your room; Sussex should be ok, but it won't hurt to ring or email the accommodation people!
    liverpool don't over easter and have rules for christmas, nottingham don't any time and neither do edinbugh so really does depend

ReputationRep:
    At RHUL I had to move my things out of my room at Christmas/Easter, and people had been living in it during the holidays because when I got back all my furniture had been completely moved around, and it was a lot cleaner than how I had left it haha. I think I had the option of paying some money to keep my room over the holidays, but I remember it being quite expensive.

In my room at Kent I was allowed to keep my things in my room over the holidays and as far as I'm aware, no one went into the room at all.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to move out at Sussex - leave all your stuff you don't need at home in your room until January.

ReputationRep:
    I think that is ridiculous that some universities don't let you keep your things in halls over Christmas. If you are really stuck I would suggest one of the big self storage companies. I believe there is one with a name similar to a popular colour!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emit.)
    I think that is ridiculous that some universities don't let you keep your things in halls over Christmas. If you are really stuck I would suggest one of the big self storage companies. I believe there is one with a name similar to a popular colour!!
    :confused::emo:

ReputationRep:
    Big YELLOW self storage!

ReputationRep:
    I used big yellow over Xmas and it was great. Very affordable as well which I was shocked by when it comes to summer I'm gonna stick it back in there. Saves having to drag it all home coz like you my family don't have a car

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.