Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am thinking of jpining the army after university.....however there are a few things i want to ask......want to join as a nurse in either RAF or Army

Do you think i could get rejected on any of the following?

• Dyslexia
    • Having a heart Murmur (spelt wrong think) when i was born ....18 years ago
    • Occasional Headaches.......tesnsion near enough migrane

Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

The heart murmur rules you out immediately, I'm pretty sure.

ReputationRep:
    Dyslexia doesn't rule you out, but you'll recieve a medical referral for the heart murmour and that's when it'll be decided.

You won't know unless you go down and try it.

ReputationRep:
    You can do courses at the army rather then at uni, just fyi.
    I think the heart murmur is the only thing that could rule you out, but you never know until you try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    You can do courses at the army rather then at uni, just fyi.I think the heart murmur is the only thing that could rule you out, but you never know until you try.
    Yeah did think about doing it via the army/raf......long story basically i would have to wait a year before i actuallly start traning ..... wanted to train as a nurse first ...confusing you probs!!!!....well i think i know what i mean!!!!!!...Thanks anyway!
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Yep.

The heart murmur rules you out immediately, I'm pretty sure.

(Original post by Shortarse1)
    Dyslexia doesn't rule you out, but you'll recieve a medical referral for the heart murmour and that's when it'll be decided.

You won't know unless you go down and try it.
    It would be really annoying if i did get rejected on this seeing as i had it when i was born....nothing since keep myself healthy , pleanty of exercise in order to keep my heart healthy ...never smoked.But can see why they would though they can't risk it seeing what the job involves ....will contact them just wanted to make sure it didn't come across as a stupid question
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAPSTER)
    It would be really annoying if i did get rejected on this seeing as i had it when i was born....nothing since keep myself healthy , pleanty of exercise in order to keep my heart healthy ...never smoked.But can see why they would though they can't risk it seeing what the job involves ....will contact them just wanted to make sure it didn't come across as a stupid question
    Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that Just because something isn't your fault it can stop you doing stuff. I have epilepsy - I didn't have any choice on that really! It's stopped me doing a lot of things. Just gotta take it in your stride and choose a different path. Sorry

But yeah, do contact them, if only to confirm it

ReputationRep:
    Dyslexia won't affect you, the heart condition may though! My advice is contact the division you are interested in joining. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who was medically deferred because of a heart mumur; not a straight out no but it put him off continuing his application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAPSTER)
    Yeah did think about doing it via the army/raf......long story basically i would have to wait a year before i actuallly start traning ..... wanted to train as a nurse first ...confusing you probs!!!!....well i think i know what i mean!!!!!!...Thanks anyway!

About a decade ago it was certainly possible to serve with a heart murmur - things may have changed slightly due to the numbers applying to join right now.

My advice would be to apply as usual, but make sure you mention your heart murmur on medical forms/at your medical. You should be referred to an Army cardiologist who will make the decision based on his investigation.

There is no issue about service with a heart murmur unless it impacts on your fitness. The main worry for the Army is that you might need a valve replaced in the future, which would then lead to medical discharge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.