Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I dunno,lately I've felt so lost, as the title says. I have friends from work, college and outside school etc but I still feel kind of lonely...dunno, some days I feel fine have a laugh with mates etc, then there's those days where I go home and just feel so self destructive, I've taken up smoking and burnt myself with a cigarette the other day on purpose..I toy with the idea of suicide but when life is good, I do actually love it.
    I've been trying to do like proactive things with my life e.g I've been going to the gym minimum 3 times a week for the past month and studying more but it never feels enough.
    I just don't know how to make myself feel normal again...

ReputationRep:
    I get what you're saying - I feel like that now tbh.
    And I think it's linked to me being overweight (personally)

I feel as though I have no friends, when really i do and a lot of the time I spend time by myself :/

oh well... life goes on. It'll get better.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it might be because your life has sort of fallen into a routine, not much of it is in your control so you're craving just anything that's completely up to you?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same at the moment, I'm just trusting that it'll not be forever. We all have ups and downs, maybe it'll be useful in helping you figure out what you want to do with your life.

Feel better!

ReputationRep:
    it sounds like bipolar disorder but dont worry if it is because they have found an effect means of treatment - oddly enough, it's ketamine.

edit: seriouisly: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ketami...y.-a0241962214

ReputationRep:
    See a psychiatrist. Whether it's just for therapy or they diagnose something, it'll help. I've been feeling as you have, alternately, for months, and there's a point where it's impinged on everything from my uni work to friendships. I can't stress it enough, see somebody about it.

Have a chat with somebody in the meantime. I'd gladly PM but I'm going to sleep (weird timezone). But you're certainly not alone in feeling like this. I think with time and support and getting involved in varied activities you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jolteon)
    it sounds like bipolar disorder but dont worry if it is because they have found an effect means of treatment - oddly enough, it's ketamine.

edit: seriouisly: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ketami...y.-a0241962214
    So... you're implying that everyone that has highs and lows have bipolar disorder?
    I hope you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katyness)
    So... you're implying that everyone that has highs and lows have bipolar disorder?
    I hope you're joking.
    okay i might have simply wanted to share the news i found.but you are right, though, this is serious.

(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    Do you think it might be because your life has sort of fallen into a routine, not much of it is in your control so you're craving just anything that's completely up to you?
    This strikes a chord.

Thanks for the advice though everyone and I guess I just have to stick out the lows, waiting for the highs again.

ReputationRep:
    Try a sat navigator.

I've felt the same myself, for over two years. I self harmed etc and I really couldn't see a way out of it.
    Anyway a few months ago it got a whole lot worse and then suddenly a lot better. There are still times when I can feel that feeling taking over again but I'm a lot better now.

What changed? Everytime I felt like self harming I went running instead. This boosted my self esteem in several ways. Also I suppose I changed my routine a bit, I spoke to different people. It sounds odd but trying to get to know people who don't know you that well helps. You don't feel like you're stuck in a box, or quite so lonely. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    i feel for you......i feel like that alot too......i'm a bit of a dreamer and tend to dream of going places and seeing things because i feel a bit caged in most of the time and even if i have lots of people around me....i usually still feel on my own

i think my advice to you would be make a list of everything youlove about life and keep it near you at all times.....works for me sometimes

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I burnt myself with a few cigs for the lulz. They left massive blisters that pissed out pus the morning after when I poked them. Was very strange.

Delightful stories aside, everyone feels like that sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Could be bipolar disorder, but more likely to be just a tricky patch in life. Go to your GP

I'm experiencing something similar since starting uni. Sometimes i can walk into a lecture feeling like the hottest guy in the room.. when i get home and look at myself in the mirror i feel totally repulsive and all my insecurities (mainly my awkwardness) surface.

When with my uni mates i'm so so happy and content with life but in my room alone with my thoughts i just become demotivated, I lose all enthusiasm, lethargic and just have that sinking feeling constantly. I see my self as a total fuktard! But then again, in the morning when i get dressed etc i go out and show the world the thunder!

ReputationRep:
    All depression in the world is caused by not drinking enough tea. It's a fact.

ReputationRep:
    I slap myself, sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    depression affects something like 2/3 people in a lifetime, and you don't have to neccesarily be suicidal (at all) to have clinical depression. The best thing is check it out with your GP, trust me they are great with this stuff. It may well be SAD (seasonal affected depression).

Try and exercise, get out more and give yourself things to work towards. It will get better, promise

ReputationRep:
    Bipolar (II) disorder is characterised by periods of severe depression AND hypomanic stages where people are very highly functioning and chatty and excitable with racing thoughts and usually grandiose feelings and behaviour.
    Hack psychiatrists amuse me. Two seconds on Google would have told you that, SICK to death of the 'Oh it must be bipolar' people. Grrrr. Right, rant over, sorry.

OP,
    Get yourself down to your GP or even your A&E if you're feeling self destructive. If you go through your GP > Psychiatrist they will only tell you to go to your local A&E if you're feeling like doing something harmful to yourself, just a tip.
    Bear in mind though that your GP will probably tell you to wait it out a few weeks and then go back so they can monitor whether it's kind of transient or happening for long periods. So it's better to go sooner rather than later and get it sorted out, because it'll affect everything you do.
    I hope you feel better soon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.