The Student Room Group

what do guys think of women that don't ever want children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by missygeorgia
Of course it isn't the 'same difference'. There isn't a problem of population shrinkage. If the workforce is shrinking that can only be a good thing, since there aren't enough jobs for our workforce as it is. Since when do we need to INCREASE the workforce? Especially with the influx of immigrants (don't you read the DM?).

The fact that he phrased that bit pretty wrongly is kinda irrelevant to the macroeconomic effects (on an economy or on society) of an increasing dependancy ratio.

A shrinking workforce has bad implications for many reasons... please don't negate them so easily by simply stating they are good because there aren't enough jobs. Not having enough jobs to supply the workforce isn't good either.

I agree that we probably don't need to actively seek to increase the workforce however there could still be some benefits of this.

As for immigrants... Well, they are still trying to limit those for some reason. Dx
Reply 141
If I was in a relationship with someone who said they didn't want kids, I would feel like the relationship wasn't going anywhere if I am perfectly honest.
Original post by Ammelia
I'm surprised at the men's reactions. I didn't realise they enjoyed the idea of screeching monsters, stinky nappies, arguments and puke. Maybe they should do the "mothering" instead! :tongue: I personally have never wanted kids. I have helped out with looking after them since I was 7 and that's bad enough. Besides, I want a career. Personally I wouldn't mind helping out with friends/ relatives' kids. But my own? Hell no. I'd be the worst mother ever. And from someone who's actually in the situation (I'm fostered) it sucks when parent's don't want you, so no way would I have kids for a guy.
Not intending to offend anyone, but my honest opinion is that kids that need help should be taken care of first before introducing more kids into this world.

I totally 100% agree with you!! :biggrin:
Original post by Nalced
Nope, if I get serious with a girl I wanna have kids in future with her, and if she can't love a kid- how can she love me? :frown:

she's not incapable of loving someone, she just doesn't want kids. why would that mean she can't love you?

anyway, my boyfriend can't stand kids even more than I can't so my relationship works out. Long-term too. I'll be the first to say I don't want kids because I don't like them. My friends are all starting to have families and they're around my age, give or take one or two years older/younger, and instead of making me want kids, they make me want kids even less.

I get along with kids fine, I just don't want my own.

and I agree with
Ammelia
x
Original post by Anonymous
just curious

do you find that sort of mentality attractive? or crude? or indifferent?
and could you explain why?

thanks

Closet Lesbians
Funny, if it's that important to guys why is it so many guys run away from responsibility, their responsibility?? Maybe it's because guys wouldn't have the responsibility of another living being for the life of that living being because of it, no, he'd just have that one 'enjoyable' night then he can get on with life, no strings attached - if he divorces his wife/leaves his partner he isnt generally the one left with sole charge of any kids involved, he only has them on the weekend, after which time he can hand them back and get on with his own life :rolleyes:
Another interesting point that comes from this thread is most guys expect their partners to have kids, yet would they give up work to bring up kids?? Would they be willing to wreck their bodies or go through the pain etc etc - I'd go for no if we're talking about the majority :tongue:
It isn't wrong for women not to want kids, especially @ such a young age, as after all, we dont need anymore unwanted children in the world, when there are so many who are desperate for loving homes :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 146
Just a shot in the dark here, but I would imagine that guys who also don't ever want children would consider it to be a good thing in a partner, whereas guys who definitely do want children would consider it to be a bad thing, and guys who are indifferent about having children would be indifferent.
Yes, it was a joke.

Also a quick google search shows that the population is actually increasing. HMMMMM.
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?ID=950
Not sure where you got your 'shrinking population' theory from.

Working population

It is perfectly possibly for the total population to rise, whilst the working population decreases. Also, in the mid-late 2000's we had an increased set of incentives to have children coupled with a larger proportion of fertile UK women - now we have neither.

Also we see on those graphs that we appear to be at a turning point as well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bazoinkers
Same old story of "Oh don't worry you'll want them in the future". Yep, we'll see who's right on that. Still, you are male (not knocking you for it) so I'm not really sure how you can factually comment on a woman's biological clock and know a woman's feeligns. This may be the case for some women, but let's not bring everyone under that umbrella shall we?

I didn't 'bring everyone under the same umbrella' I am merely stating an observation. How do I know about a woman's biological clock and feelings - because I don't live in a monastery, that's how. Do you really think men are incapable of having any insight into the feelings and motivations of women?

About the age debate, I think saying this is somewhat silly since I was reading up on this same topic on the BBC News website and most people who comment on there are what 30-40 more or less. Most comments were for the idea of choosing to be childless, and most were women 30 - 40.

Comments on a BBC article hardly constitute a rigorous statistically significant survey.
Nothing like a patronising male comment on distinctly female issues. We'll probably all want to be housewives in the end too, right?

Nothing like letting the sexism card getting in the way of reality or biology in this case.

To be honest, the fact that you associate child-bearing with the female role in classical partriarchy says much more about your prejudices than mine.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't think it should be considered as big a deal as it is. It's only a preference after all.

Some people just aren't as maternally/paternally instinctive as others.
Hmm I'm not sure. My girlfriend and I are presently both always saying we don't want kids and at least not ANY time soon (i'm 19, shes 20) but I have a feeling we will both mature and our priorities will change and one day kids might become an option...(whether we are together or not, just as individuals). And it wouldnt really put me off a girl at this stage who says she doesnt want kids, in fact its quite refreshing really cos I feel the same way. And everything can change. So I guess you'd just have to go with your feelings on the girl overall and not based on this one thing.
Reply 152
'lol what is she good for?'
So I have a question- out of all you heroes who are like 'no I want kids' or 'no she must be an unnatural witch', how many of you are willing to be stay at home dads, at least til your kids go to school? Or work part time until your kids are grown up?

Yeah, thought so.

Yeah I would providing my partner would work and bring home the much needed money. Which is what i'd do if the roles were reversed.
Reply 154
Original post by HumanNature1992
And when it grows up the hardwork is done and think about when you're retired and bored and lonely - they'll be there for you, to look after you and to surround you with love!

Sadly my parents wouldn't agree - since my brother and his wife had kids my mum and dad have been steadily pushed out of the family and are devastated. They are definitely not 'surrounded by love'.

I have never felt the desire to have children. I have said the same as long as I can remember, and am now 32 and haven't changed my mind! I enjoy my life, and I don't long for kids to fulfil me. Luckily my partner doesn't have a burning urge either and we're perfectly happy as a childless twosome :smile:
Original post by Panthea
Sadly my parents wouldn't agree - since my brother and his wife had kids my mum and dad have been steadily pushed out of the family and are devastated. They are definitely not 'surrounded by love'.

I have never felt the desire to have children. I have said the same as long as I can remember, and am now 32 and haven't changed my mind! I enjoy my life, and I don't long for kids to fulfil me. Luckily my partner doesn't have a burning urge either and we're perfectly happy as a childless twosome :smile:

Hmm, well I guess I can only resort to my experience and how close of a family we are! My grandma had 5 girls and 5 boys (2 of which have sadly passed) but the rest all look after her, take her out & pay her nice visits at her home. I think this is really something she appreciates considering she has really bad health problems and her husband (my grandad) is slowly dying from Alzheimers - so I think without the support of her children, her life would be awful - living with an Alzheimer's patient is possibly the most terrifying thing and on top of that having your own health problems.

I'm not trying to force what I want to do in my life unto other people that was never my intention and I wasnt saying that you had to have children in order to be happy! :smile:
Original post by HumanNature1992
Yeah I would providing my partner would work and bring home the much needed money. Which is what i'd do if the roles were reversed.

And, of course, providing you got the same levels of statutary leave entitlement as well.

And the same social acceptability for exercising your statutary rights in the workplace.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 157
its pretty selfish if we;re being honest but most guys like the idea, but ones seed does need to be propagated and that will be the consideration of many men in the long term.
Original post by ChemistBoy
And, of course, providing you got the same levels of statutary leave entitlement as well.

Yep :smile:
LOL is this thread still going on:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest