Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to ask girl out but friend had his eyes on her first... Watch

I first met this girl in July at a hospital when we both happened to visit my friend at the same time who'd just come out of surgery. She subsequently attracted his attention and I have since been encouraging him to make a move and ask her out! I'd met her a few times after that, having considered her nothing more than a friend. However we all went to a party last night and noticed my friend's hints weren't really working on her, and she seemed to spend a lot of time by my side as well, laughing at nearly everything I said. It all resulted in us exchanging numbers and we've been texting ever since.

In short, my friend has been after this girl for months now, whereas I've only really discovered my feelings for her over the past 48 hours. I'd love to ask her out but I don't want to wreck my friendship with my friend either. Any advice out there?

Sorry for a random post, but this took a while for it to be accepted by the moderator and subsequently moved down the list!

ReputationRep:
    What are you, 12?

Talk to him about it, and see what he thinks.

Ultimately, you're free to do what you want, but just be open, be honest and follow your moral compass.

ReputationRep:
    If he called dibs then sorry bro ..dont break the dibs rule!

ReputationRep:
    It depends if your friend is your equal in the friendship or if you have a mentor/protege relationship, like where you're self-assured and he's the shy one (your post comes across as the second because you've been "encouraging him to ask her out").

If it's the first one, you have to chat to him and agree a good-natured "every man for himself", which is a lot of fun even if you don't get the girl. If it's the second, you have to chat to him and tell him he has to make a move right now. If he doesn't tell him you like her as well and if he's not going to take the plunge he'll have to take one for the team.

ReputationRep:
    Man up. Sounds like something Gareth Keenan would say.

ReputationRep:
    just see what he says.........

i dont think i could go through with it. bro's before hoes and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Ah the classic love triangle. Er...or is it an arrow?

Thanks for the replys so far I dunno, maybe I should wait a bit to see if anything changes? This is one of my best friends by the way lol so I don't wanna wreck our friendship over her.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.