Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pakistani communities in Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    Had a discussion during lunch with some Pakistanis and it came around to different Pakistani communities across Britain. One guy had the view that wherever there was a commmunity which was majority Pakistani, then the living and social conditions were somewhat worse for wear. Examples such as litter on the footpaths, people spitting everywhere, no order on the roads (people cutting over, stopping in the middle of traffic to greet friends in nearby cars etc; essentially creating a traffic system similar to that in Karachi; well perhaps not as bad!)

Another thing was knowing how to form an orderly queue and waiting ones turn for service (ie. in a bank)....

there are other such examples...... Now I don't necessarily agree with this but can see where the guy was coming from)

Not having a go at pakistanis, but would like to hear from any Pakistanis who agree with such a generalisation (especially from those who live in areas of high pakistani numbers; up north etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    Had a discussion during lunch with some Pakistanis and it came around to different Pakistani communities across Britain. One guy had the view that wherever there was a commmunity which was majority Pakistani, then the living and social conditions were somewhat worse for wear. Examples such as litter on the footpaths, people spitting everywhere, no order on the roads (people cutting over, stopping in the middle of traffic to greet friends in nearby cars etc; essentially creating a traffic system similar to that in Karachi; well perhaps not as bad!)

Another thing was knowing how to form an orderly queue and waiting ones turn for service (ie. in a bank)....

there are other such examples...... Now I don't necessarily agree with this but can see where the guy was coming from)

Not having a go at pakistanis, but would like to hear from any Pakistanis who agree with such a generalisation (especially from those who live in areas of high pakistani numbers; up north etc
    its just for all asians..i think they dont leave their dirty background back specially the indians

ReputationRep:
    Hmm reminds me of Oxford Street personally.

ReputationRep:
    No, I disagree. There are just as many rude people in poor white areas.

Poverty leads to ignorance. The ignorance in this case is basic social standards. The only reason why it is more prominent in some Pakistani communities is because they are poor. I have friends in well off, affluent Pakistani communities, and I can assure you, they keep their community cleaner than any white people I know, as well as maintaining social standards and generally the state of the community. I have less well off friends, who live in a poorer area, but its not a ****hole as described. There is more litter, but its not an exclusively Pakistani area, more like an exclusively poor area. I think you are probably middle class, and your friend middle class too, and that he's just a spoilt boy who has to visit his poorer relatives sometimes, and is just a bit upset that his chauffeur driven Cadillac wasn't allowed to bulldoze its way through the road as usual...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Hmm reminds me of Oxford Street personally.
    do you know of any specifically pakistani areas which are like this?

How can you compare oxford street to a pakistani community in britian?
    Go to a bank and the queues will be orderly and people wil be waiting to be served.

ReputationRep:
    Whitechapel springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    No, I disagree. There are just as many rude people in poor white areas.

Poverty leads to ignorance. The ignorance in this case is basic social standards. The only reason why it is more prominent in some Pakistani communities is because they are poor. I have friends in well off, affluent Pakistani communities, and I can assure you, they keep their community cleaner than any white people I know, as well as maintaining social standards and generally the state of the community. I have less well off friends, who live in a poorer area, but its not a ****hole as described. There is more litter, but its not an exclusively Pakistani area, more like an exclusively poor area. I think you are probably middle class, and your friend middle class too, and that he's just a spoilt boy who has to visit his poorer relatives sometimes, and is just a bit upset that his chauffeur driven Cadillac wasn't allowed to bulldoze its way through the road as usual...
    I agree with the issue of poverty and social standards.

They "guys" who I was having this discussion with are grown men with kids (I believe they've lived in such areas).

Things like not knownig how to queue and wait patiently for service I believe due to the cultural difference. Apparently they don't have this concept in pakistan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Whitechapel springs to mind.
    yeh, thats majority bangladeshi. you study close to there?

ReputationRep:
    yeh, thats majority bangladeshi. you study close to there?
    Yes but there's not a great deal of difference between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, after all they were both considered Pakistanis at one time and if you go further back they were both just Muslim Indians. Pakistan/India/Bangladesh are arbitary national constructs based around religion rather than culture (sans the religious cultural aspects).

Also yeah I study at QMUL up the road, parts of QMUL's medical campus is in Whitechapel aswell. I pity the medical students having to visit that craphole every day. It's so odd aswell because you walk ten minutes down the street you're in the City of London, the financial capital of the world where the streets are like paved with gold.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the issue of poverty and social standards.

They "guys" who I was having this discussion with are grown men with kids (I believe they've lived in such areas).

Things like not knownig how to queue and wait patiently for service I believe due to the cultural difference. Apparently they don't have this concept in pakistan!
    Well those guys arent true Pakistanis then. True, more people try and cut in the queues there, but in Pakistan, generally, people are strong enough to stop them cutting or just cut straight back. Its much less of a problem than it was, say, 10 years ago. I'm only 17, but last time I went to Pakistan (last summer), there was very little. Pakistan is slowly modernising, and people are accepting that generally (in eastern Pakistan).

I'm familiar with the kind of people you are talking about, and without trashtalking someone I don't know, I would say that they are probably just disillusioned Pakistanis, ditching their country in its time of need, or English-born-Pakistani-parents, in which case, they likely aren't Pakistani in any case, and would be destroyed by the pace of life in Pakistan. Everyone is a whole lot more desperate over there (understandably, with all the sh*t thats happened in the last 6-7 years), so there are people slightly more desperate. Usually, when someone is cutting in, I find it to be a middle-aged, middle class woman, who simply thinks she is better than everyone and too good for queues. Thats not being stereotypical, thats just the way I see it...

ReputationRep:
    Bradford

ReputationRep:
    Is your argument really:
    Not forming orderly queues in a bank?
    Lmao

ReputationRep:
    Yes but there's not a great deal of difference

between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis, after all they were both considered Pakistanis at one time and if you go further back they were both just Muslim Indians. Pakistan/India/Bangladesh are arbitary national constructs based around religion rather than culture (sans the religious cultural aspects).

Also yeah I study at QMUL up the road, parts of QMUL's medical campus is in Whitechapel aswell. I pity the medical students having to visit that craphole every day. It's so odd aswell because you walk ten minutes down the street you're in the City of London, the financial capital of the world where the streets are like paved with gold.
    should have gotten into imperial... wouldn't have been doing your traingin in places like chelseas and westminster hospital on the wealthy middle class white patients

I wouldn't tell the local bangleshis that you think they're just like pakistanis....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenforce)
    its just for all asians..i think they dont leave their dirty background back specially the indians
    OI you :mad:

And to the OP I somewhat agree aswell, big generalisation though as some of my friends dislike these sort of Paksitanis, being part Pakistani myself I do admit that places with high poplulation of Pakistani, Bangladeshis and generally South Asians are quite messy.

ReputationRep:
    should have gotten into imperial... wouldn't have been doing your traingin in places like chelseas and westminster hospital on the wealthy middle class white patients

I wouldn't tell the local bangleshis that you think they're just like pakistanis....
    I'm not a medical student anyways so it doesn't affect me, I go to the nice modern campus isolated from the craphole that is Mile End or mini-Whitechapel.

Also I know the Bangladeshis fought an independence war from West Pakistan and speak different languages but culturally they're not all that different. Just like most continental Western Europeans share a good deal of cultural traits and norms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonFahad)
    Well those guys arent true Pakistanis then. True, more people try and cut in the queues there, but in Pakistan, generally, people are strong enough to stop them cutting or just cut straight back. Its much less of a problem than it was, say, 10 years ago. I'm only 17, but last time I went to Pakistan (last summer), there was very little. Pakistan is slowly modernising, and people are accepting that generally (in eastern Pakistan).

I'm familiar with the kind of people you are talking about, and without trashtalking someone I don't know, I would say that they are probably just disillusioned Pakistanis, ditching their country in its time of need, or English-born-Pakistani-parents, in which case, they likely aren't Pakistani in any case, and would be destroyed by the pace of life in Pakistan. Everyone is a whole lot more desperate over there (understandably, with all the sh*t thats happened in the last 6-7 years), so there are people slightly more desperate. Usually, when someone is cutting in, I find it to be a middle-aged, middle class woman, who simply thinks she is better than everyone and too good for queues. Thats not being stereotypical, thats just the way I see it...
    you've made the point exactly! The people in pakistan are used to such practices so they know that in order to be served they have to push and shove, so its a cultural thing. When people use this kind of behaviour here, it doesn't fit in and things like this causes problem....

I wouldnt' say they are 'disillusioned pakistanis' but rather pointing out certian bad aspects of their pakistani community in a frank discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenforce)
    Damn, my derkhead radar has gone crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a medical student anyways so it doesn't affect me, I go to the nice modern campus isolated from the craphole that is Mile End or mini-Whitechapel.

Also I know the Bangladeshis fought an independence war from West Pakistan and speak different languages but culturally they're not all that different. Just like most continental Western Europeans share a good deal of cultural traits and norms.
    didn't know that. Well apart from both being muslims and all that comes with that.
    suppose they have similar cuisine but apart from that what other similarities are there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killa78)
    Is your argument really:
    Not forming orderly queues in a bank?
    Lmao
    this was just an observation noted from a discussion with three pakistani guys. We know we have a big thing for forming an orderly queue in britain and from what I've seen/heard that its the opposite in pakistan (the aim there is to get served the fastest by any means possible - makes sense i suppose!

not having a go at your people/country...

ReputationRep:
    this was just an observation noted from a discussion with three pakistani guys. We know we have a big thing for forming an orderly queue in britain and from what I've seen/heard that its the opposite in pakistan (the aim there is to get served the fastest by any means possible - makes sense i suppose!

not having a go at your people/country...
    Lol
    Fair enough
    I was just thinking this is one of the worst hate threads ever and TSR was losing its touch lol

And yeppp
    Its not soo much everyone.
    The people that think they're better then the rest will push in/ do whatever they want and
    the rest have to take it tbh
    :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.