Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What should I do with the money. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've managed to gather £500. Im very aware that inflation makes this less valuable every day, so I need somewhere where I can put this money and get a rate above inflation (I'd prefer around 5%). Im happy to give up my money for 2 years. I've thought about Premium bonds, ISAs, investing in gold, etc etc. Can people give their opinions on it, and point out any flaws in my thinking please?

ReputationRep:
    Just put it in an ISA, it's not an incredibly large amount of money tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Google Halifax ISA Direct Reward.

It's about the best rate you'll get on savings at the moment (instant access). At your current balance you'll get about £14 per year from them. (Ok, it's not much, but it's better than zero!).

ReputationRep:
    Lol, investing in gold and premium bonds? Mate it's £500. Buy an iPhone :lol:

ReputationRep:
    £500. Watch out Lord Sugar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazy smurf)
    £500. Watch out Lord Sugar!

+1 for the wit and the sexy chick.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an official stocks and shares or investing way of doing things. But i find the quickest wat of turning money into more money is by buying goods for cheap and selling them on at a higher price.
    For example, I might take £100 and go into a clothes sale, buy 10 dresses at a tenner each that I think I can sell for more than this, perhaps £20 each, stick them on Ebay and I double my money within a month or so.
    You just need to have good knowledge of what will sell for more than you bought it for. I'm very into clothes so I can tell what clothes are good value and can therefore up the price. You might be able to do this with something else you know alot about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    It's not an official stocks and shares or investing way of doing things. But i find the quickest wat of turning money into more money is by buying goods for cheap and selling them on at a higher price.
    For example, I might take £100 and go into a clothes sale, buy 10 dresses at a tenner each that I think I can sell for more than this, perhaps £20 each, stick them on Ebay and I double my money within a month or so.
    You just need to have good knowledge of what will sell for more than you bought it for. I'm very into clothes so I can tell what clothes are good value and can therefore up the price. You might be able to do this with something else you know alot about.
    Excellent post +1

ReputationRep:
    I do a similar thing but with cameras. If you are quite knowledgeable about a certain subject see how you can make money off of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TravelGuru)
    Just put it in an ISA, it's not an incredibly large amount of money tbh.
    Yeah, id do this.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a couple of festival weekend tickets early on the pre-release, the price will go up nearer the time plus the added VAT and you know they will sell out. You cant loose.

on an unrelated subject entirely, is anyone interested in Reading weekend tickets...

ReputationRep:
    wooooorrrrrr do it quick that inflation is eating away at it every day!!!

Next week it'll be be worth £187 or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'tom')
    Buy a couple of festival weekend tickets early on the pre-release, the price will go up nearer the time plus the added VAT and you know they will sell out. You cant loose.

on an unrelated subject entirely, is anyone interested in Reading weekend tickets...
    People like you ruin festivals.

If you don't want to go, don't buy a ticket. Pushing the price up for the rest of us is just **** behaviour tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    People like you ruin festivals.

If you don't want to go, don't buy a ticket. Pushing the price up for the rest of us is just **** behaviour tbh.
    Its people who buy from touts who push up the price not the touts themselves.

If people didn't buy from them they wouldn't buy up the tickets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Its people who buy from touts who push up the price not the touts themselves.

If people didn't buy from them they wouldn't buy up the tickets.
    Don't really think people should have to miss out on experiences just because of some greedy idiots but hey, whatever.

Gonna stop hijacking this poor dude's thread now.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this 100%!!
    £14 a year at best??, U can spent that sort of money on a trip to Nandos chicken! So i agree with above. Ive had money sitting in ISA's for years. and made money that i cant even notice!

And dont tell me there isnt anything u know about that u could look around and sell for more, I mean come on, the girl above applied this rule to clothes! maybe her area of expertise!!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe invest in a buisness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.