Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indoor rock climbing (questions from a beginner) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a new sport to keep me in shape, because I'm getting bored of my usual gym routine.

Would four 1 hour sessions of indoor rock climbing a week be a good workout? I've only climbed a few times before, in the past. I'll still be working out at the gym, just less often.

Also... I've heard that having strong forearms is really important in rock climbing, due to grip. Do you know of any good and effective exercises that will help me build strength in my forearms?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Strong forearms are less important than endurable forearms. The biggest part which gets 'strengthened' is your fingers but thats not from muscle.

I assume you'll be doing some form of introduction course thing since you havent climbed before which typically last about 2-3 hours. It sounds alot more daunting than it is. Remember you have to climb, then come back down, tie off, your partner tie on, you belay them (hold the rope, its next to no effort on your part) whilst they climb then they come down and you climb again. Other than that I would say bouldering is a far better overall workout than climbing but Im a bit bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witchita)
    Strong forearms are less important than endurable forearms. The biggest part which gets 'strengthened' is your fingers but thats not from muscle.

I assume you'll be doing some form of introduction course thing since you havent climbed before which typically last about 2-3 hours. It sounds alot more daunting than it is. Remember you have to climb, then come back down, tie off, your partner tie on, you belay them (hold the rope, its next to no effort on your part) whilst they climb then they come down and you climb again. Other than that I would say bouldering is a far better overall workout than climbing but Im a bit bias
    Is bouldering with a rope + partner? What's the difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christine18)
    Bouldering is without a rope but only upto 5m with a mat under you. Climbing is with a rope and partner and much higher. Bouldering routes are more strength, balance and technique orientated than climbing in general

ReputationRep:
    It is great exercise but 1 hour a week will not be a huge amount. Likewise I agree with the above poster; you will end up working your fingers and wrists more than anything else.

By itself great, but I used to prefer to mix it up with running, weights and martial arts. Just for the change and the general fun. When I recover from a shoulder/spine injury I will be back!*

*more a shoulder injury thank god

ReputationRep:
    Rock Climbing is really good fun, but I don't know how useful it is in terms of a work out. It is good though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabriella)
    Rock Climbing is really good fun, but I don't know how useful it is in terms of a work out. It is good though.

1 Hour? Not so much.

3 Hours twice a week? There you go

ReputationRep:
    Do chin ups, pull ups, dips and hanging leg raises for climbing

If you wanna build forearms do deadlifts

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to do four 1 hour sessions of bouldering a week. Apparently there's a pretty good indoor bouldering gym near my home, so I'll give it a go

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a new sport to keep me in shape, because I'm getting bored of my usual gym routine.

Would four 1 hour sessions of indoor rock climbing a week be a good workout? I've only climbed a few times before, in the past. I'll still be working out at the gym, just less often.

Also... I've heard that having strong forearms is really important in rock climbing, due to grip. Do you know of any good and effective exercises that will help me build strength in my forearms?

Thanks!
    you should climb (or do any other sport), if you like it, and if you like climbing, hours fill fly. I go indoor rock climbing at least once a week and hours fly by without me noticing because i'm so engrossed with the sport and thoroughly enjoy it. Forearm strength is something that is developed over time. Like you start off weak and do easier problems but naturally you become better and you'll try harder problems and before you know it, in 6 months time or so you'll have stronger arms, abs, back, shoulders etc

I went to the gym once...it was so boring so never went back. Good choice on the climbing front.

ReputationRep:
    There are 3 types of climbing.

1) bouldering (when you climb without using a rope because the route is not very far from the ground)

2) Lead climbing (when you climb with a rope and partner, and the route has bolts and you place quickdraws and then clip rope into that) edit: route is much higher also...you can use rope for bouldering route if you like but it's kinda pointless cos you land on a mat from a low height so a lower risk of injury than leading without ropes!

3) Traditional climbing (when you have stuff like nuts, hexes, friends and other protection, and you place them into cracks in rock and climb up fresh rock face. It's like pure climbing/mountaineering cos you remove the protection as you move up the face.)

Any more questions just ask ...btw, what's your local wall? If you get a chance u should go to mile end wall in east london - best bouldering wall i've ever been to

ReputationRep:
    Its awesomee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    There are 3 types of climbing.

1) bouldering (when you climb without using a rope because the route is not very far from the ground)

2) Lead climbing (when you climb with a rope and partner, and the route has bolts and you place quickdraws and then clip rope into that) edit: route is much higher also...you can use rope for bouldering route if you like but it's kinda pointless cos you land on a mat from a low height so a lower risk of injury than leading without ropes!

3) Traditional climbing (when you have stuff like nuts, hexes, friends and other protection, and you place them into cracks in rock and climb up fresh rock face. It's like pure climbing/mountaineering cos you remove the protection as you move up the face.)

Any more questions just ask ...btw, what's your local wall? If you get a chance u should go to mile end wall in east london - best bouldering wall i've ever been to
    The only time I went climbing (I'm guessing it was bouldering because it was without a rope and partner) was in Nice, France. So I don't have a local wall... but a few of my friends used the walls at the "Climbing Wall" and "The Reach". I have no idea which is which, so I'm just going to tag along with them

ReputationRep:
    I go climbing a lot, usually 3-4 times a week for 4-5 hour sessions. I would say you can get a lot done in 1 hour but I would recommend bouldering as oppose to leading or top roping. If your doing either of those styles of climbing you'll only get a few routes done in an hour. Whenever I'm leading, I always feel as though I've done nothing in comparison to what I would do in a bouldering session.

Bouldering is a more intense workout, your biceps, fingers and forearms will be put under a lot more pressure. At the start the first thing you will notice is the skin coming off on all your hands. Don't be alarmed, this is normal and a requirement to build callouses and improve grip. This should mostly stop after about a month, although you will get the occasional callous tear, especially on dynos. It's unlikely your fingers will hurt too much because the holds you use at the start are quite big (jugs) and don't require a great deal of finger strength (which is lucky as you don't have it yet!).

Don't use any of the equipment for training, ie fingerboards and the like - you will injure yourself. The climbing itself is more than enough to workout your body.

Personally the most visible change for me (I haven't been climbing that long, perhaps 4 months) are my biceps - they've got a great deal bigger. Other than that my body looks basically the same as it did at the start. Climbing isn't much of a cardiovascular exercise but it does help build muscle strength - I can do a hell of a lot more chin ups now than I could before, indeed I can campus up the climbing wall now on easy routes.

I would suggest starting easy. Don't try anything too hard. You need to build up finger strength at the start, and your hands will hurt from the skin coming off. Buy tape, lots of it, and cover any areas of raw skin. Don't wear shoes which are too small for you. The shoes I have now hurt my feat a lot, and are very technical, but this can be a disaster for a beginner and completely put you off the sport. Wear shoes which fit well, but are comfortable.

Finally I think you should try go two hours a day four days a week as you will get more done. I find two hours is a good amount, after that you start getting tired anyway. If you go four days a week try and break it up. I go mon/weds/fri/sat, you should do the same or go tues/thurs/sat/sun etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Finally I think you should try go two hours a day four days a week as you will get more done. I find two hours is a good amount, after that you start getting tired anyway. If you go four days a week try and break it up. I go mon/weds/fri/sat, you should do the same or go tues/thurs/sat/sun etc
    I personally think that's too much. I go once/twice a week. I spend rest of the week having some sort of intellectual stimulation like reading a newspaper or book. I think a good balance between a mental and physical work out is the ultimate for a healthy lifestyle but each to their own i guess

ReputationRep:
    Not long been going the the big rock centre in Milton Keynes myself for bouldering. Its a great workout. 1-2 hours 3 or 4 times a week is plenty and you will see great improvements in your general climb.

Try to draw tips from more experienced climbers when your there for better technique.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that's too much. I go once/twice a week. I spend rest of the week having some sort of intellectual stimulation like reading a newspaper or book. I think a good balance between a mental and physical work out is the ultimate for a healthy lifestyle but each to their own i guess
    lol are you serious?

A mental workout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    lol are you serious?

A mental workout?
    yes i am. I read books and newspapers as well as climb.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a maths degree, suffice to say my life doesn't lack any mental stimulation.

Do what you want to do, personally I go climbing more because I enjoy it but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    yes i am. I read books and newspapers as well as climb.
    ok, just to let you know you sound like a pretentious tool

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.