Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is very basic so apologies in advance.

Reading this page on the Durham University website, I conclude that this year abroad to Canada or the USA won't cost me any extra (apart from the general cost of living abroad). Is this true?

Usually a year abroad will cost £10,000 extra so I was curious to find this as it seems too good to be true. Can anyone offer clarification on this?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/sgia/teaching/programmes/abroad/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    This is very basic so apologies in advance.

Reading this page on the Durham University website, I conclude that this year abroad to Canada or the USA won't cost me any extra (apart from the general cost of living abroad). Is this true?

Usually a year abroad will cost £10,000 extra so I was curious to find this as it seems too good to be true. Can anyone offer clarification on this?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/sgia/teaching/programmes/abroad/
    for mine in Swansea I have to pay half the UK Swansea tuition fees but nothing to the American university as it is an exchange. Also don't forget you have to pay for insurance, visa, SEVIS fee etc which can add up to be very pricey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshLily)
    for mine in Swansea I have to pay half the UK Swansea tuition fees but nothing to the American university as it is an exchange. Also don't forget you have to pay for insurance, visa, SEVIS fee etc which can add up to be very pricey.
    So if at your course at Swansea you pay £3,200 PA, you pay £1,600 to Swansea for the year abroad?

How much are we talking for insurance, visa, SEVIS fee?

WTF IS SEVIS???? :O

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    So if at your course at Swansea you pay £3,200 PA, you pay £1,600 to Swansea for the year abroad?

How much are we talking for insurance, visa, SEVIS fee?

WTF IS SEVIS???? :O

Thanks
    Yep that's right. Insurance varies depending on the state. There's about 15 universities on my list to choose from and they vary from as high as £1515 (Massachusetts) and £1272 (Colorado) to £262 (Illionois). Some don't need you to purchase it (Utah and New Mexico).

The visa fee is £84 and SEVIS is £114. sevis is basically you paying for the government to track you whilst you're over there, a bit creepy but you have to get it.

Don't forget as well some universities require you to get a meal plan if you decide to live on campus and they can be very pricey! normally around £1500-£2500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshLily)
    Yep that's right. Insurance varies depending on the state. There's about 15 universities on my list to choose from and they vary from as high as £1515 (Massachusetts) and £1272 (Colorado) to £262 (Illionois). Some don't need you to purchase it (Utah and New Mexico).

The visa fee is £84 and SEVIS is £114. sevis is basically you paying for the government to track you whilst you're over there, a bit creepy but you have to get it.

Don't forget as well some universities require you to get a meal plan if you decide to live on campus and they can be very pricey! normally around £1500-£2500.
    Ok so one of the universities in the states i was looking at was Boston College (Massachusetts). Since the tuition is free I can effectively replace the £6,000 feeswith £1500 of insurance, £200 of sevis+visa and £2000 of food = £3,700. plus travelling fees back home say £1,500. I'm looking at £5,200 in total?

sound about right?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your course I'd say after reading other reply.

I know Law on ERASMUS, you pay no tuition fee's that year, just cover your own maintainance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.