Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello it is nice to meet everyone, I was wondering if anyone had a clue on what I should do since I am a little stuck. I want to get into dentistry but it's really competitive right now I am in my first year of college and have all the GCSE grades that I need for both of them.

If anyone could tell me the salary after graduating as a dentist or dental hygienist that would be really wonderful. If I were to become a dental hygienist would it be hard to earn £30 an hour and how long would that take?

Currently taking = Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Psychology and Sociology. ( Predicted grades as of November 23 AABBA = this was from a parents evening )

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about how competitive Dentistry is. I am 13, and I want to be a Dentist. You need to tell yourself that you are smart and that you are capable. Dental Hygien is also a great field, but you should do the one that you want to do. I'm sure you probably already have a good understanding of Dental school so I won't rant on about that. So Dental Hygienist school is usually 2 years. It is way cheaper than Dental school, if that's what you're going for. (I'm assuming that you're not to concerned about the prices.) Dental Hygienists start out at about $40,000-$50,000 their first few years. After a few years the salary will mostly likely progress to $65,000. That is very great pay for the amount of school and the amount of days most Dental Hygienist work a week. (Most Hygienists work 4 days a week, or maybe even more of less depending on if they are full-time or part-time.)
    Dental school is usually 8 years. You will need to complete four years of science based clases, take the DAT, (Score at least a 20 or higher to be a good applicant) have a high GPA and have four recommendations. (2 from dentists, 2 from professors.) The average applicant applies to 7 Dental schools, so you can apply to a lot to aggrandize your chance of being accepted. Dental school is most often 4 years long. The first 2 years are "in the lab" studies, and the last two years are clinical studies. After you graduate you will receive either a DDS (Doctor of dental surgery) or an equivalent degree DMD. (Doctor of dental medicine.) Dental school is expensive. Most cost around $200,000. After you have been licensed in the state in which you wish to practice you can then begin to practice Dentistry. The average starting out Dentist makes around $80,000-110,000 the first few years. However this amount increases drastically. After a few years Dentist average on approximately $120,000-150,000. Dentists working in private practice can make much more than this. It is true that 3 out of every 4 dentists is self-employed, which is why Dentistry is such a good field to go into!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.