Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fox Hunting Watch

• View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on fox hunting?
    I am FOR fox hunting
    24.32%
    I am AGAINST fox hunting
    66.22%
    Undecided/Inbetween/Other
    9.46%

ReputationRep:
    Okay, no arguments, just a poll for vet students/wannabees.
    I'm intruiged.

ReputationRep:
    I think the poll options are a little too closed, like I'm for' fox hunting' but only support drag hunting, not the original version...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilacTweet)
    I think the poll options are a little too closed, like I'm for' fox hunting' but only support drag hunting, not the original version...
    I dont think thats fox hunting in the way he means it. ie no actual foxes die by being ripped apart.

ReputationRep:
    Completely against it.
    And I am not a snobby city girl who has no idea what it's like in the "country"...
    I grew up on a farm and we had chickens and ducks which were all at risk of being attacked by foxes- so we just took the sensible precautions! Ensured their enclosure was totally secure and didn't give foxes the oppotunity to kill any of them.
    The number of times I went to feed the birds to see a couple of foxes sat outside the chicken enclosure looking hungry. They never got a single one though.

I just think fox hunting is barbaric and I couldn't care less if it's 'traditional'.
    Some traditions are meant to be left behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilacTweet)
    Well I wouldn't class that as fox hunting in any way. It is not a bloodsport and no animals are hunted.

ReputationRep:
    ahh okay sorry, i didn't realise that

ReputationRep:
    I'm very strongly against. This is an interesting poll.

ReputationRep:
    I'm against it as a sport but I can see why people are for when it concerns the safety of their animals - when your main livelihood could be threatened by a fox killing all your chickens I'm pretty sure it changes the way you think about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccy99)
    I'm against it as a sport but I can see why people are for when it concerns the safety of their animals - when your main livelihood could be threatened by a fox killing all your chickens I'm pretty sure it changes the way you think about them.
    Fox hunting isn't the only or the most human way of culling foxes. Many farms using marksmen.

ReputationRep:
    against! i don't see why it's necersary at all! fair enough it's tradition and what not but theirs nothing wrong with drag hunting!

ReputationRep:
    It's outdated, cruel and a pretty shameful 'tradition'. Against.

ReputationRep:
    The only benefit I see of fox hunting is that - in a way - it is probably the most humane way of culling foxes. A poor shot can mean that their death is long and drawn out, as does trapping them or poisoning, whereas if they're caught by the hounds, ir's over quite quickly.

However, I would never partake in it myself because killing animals in the name of sport doesn't appeal to me! Much prefer drag hunting, and it's safer for everyone taking part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .sarah)
    The only benefit I see of fox hunting is that - in a way - it is probably the most humane way of culling foxes. A poor shot can mean that their death is long and drawn out, as does trapping them or poisoning, whereas if they're caught by the hounds, ir's over quite quickly.
    All methods can be influenced by poor application - foxhunting is no exception. Personally I would view a fatal shot by a trained marksman far more humane than being chased until exhaustion and then ripped apart.

As for gassing and poisoning these days some of the agents used are odourless, tasteless and non aversive so in the welfare stakes they're relatively humane.

ReputationRep:
    For, its hell of fun

Although I don’t do it members of my family do and have done for generations, I have never seen a credible argument against it. Its not cruel, barbaric or outdated

ReputationRep:
    WTF is going on here, how is a fox being bitten to death in anyway humane...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    All methods can be influenced by poor application - foxhunting is no exception. Personally I would view a fatal shot by a trained marksman far more humane than being chased until exhaustion and then ripped apart.

As for gassing and poisoning these days some of the agents used are odourless, tasteless and non aversive so in the welfare stakes they're relatively humane.
    But how often is a trained marksman actually used? That's my point. An accurate shot that would kill the animal quickly would be the most humane thing to do, but a poor shot is a far more likely occurance, leaving the animal to suffer until it either bleeds, starves or freezes to death. I wouldn't trust any of the MFHs I've met to be able to shoot an animal properly, even at close range, to be honest.

The poisioning/gassing, fair enough if it's CO poisoning, like with badger setts, but I was thinking more along poisoned food laid out as bait. Should've said so in my previous post but I forgot... Either way though, I still don't agree with hunting, but those are just my opinions on why it could be viewed as more humane.

ReputationRep:
    See my sig

ReputationRep:
    against. i can see why people would find it fun but then i don't see why people can't just drag hunt

ReputationRep:
    Completely against this vile activity.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of whether it is right or wrong, or whether it will be properly banned or not, it will still go on regardless.

At least, that's what happened around where I live. Tons of people were told they weren't allowed to do it, but carried on anyway. Vast amounts of private land is impossible to monitor all the time, especially when those supposedly enforcing the bans would rather be joining in anyway. Rich farmers will always be rich farmers too...

Anyway, I'm not particularly for it, but certainly not against it. There are more important and pressing issues to be worrying about in the modern world - you know, billions without proper sanitation etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.