Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unplanned gap year :/ Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I started at uni in September but had to take leave of absence due to illness. So now I am taking a gap year which I was totally unprepared for. I was just wondering if there was anybody else in a similar situation or have any ideas what I can do (other than work) until September now I am better.
    Nat

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm in the situation that I might need to have a gap year due to an illness... I started my studies in September and I'll have to see after December exams what I am going to do. The whole idea is really depressing but I guess I just need to accept it. How are you coping?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar position a few years ago. The best advice I can give is to see it as an opportunity to do things you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Think about what you would like to do, and what you are capable of doing. In my case I was signed off sick for some of the year, but there are still things I could have done, and I regret not making the most of that year now.

You could look at part-time courses at college, distance learning, voluntary work, clubs/groups, or even just reading some books you haven't had time for before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northman090)
    Hello!

I'm in the situation that I might need to have a gap year due to an illness... I started my studies in September and I'll have to see after December exams what I am going to do. The whole idea is really depressing but I guess I just need to accept it. How are you coping?
    It wasn't easy to start with I felt so down when I came home but I'm doing ok now. I'm better but would be so behind on everything if I went back, its best just to leave it until September. I have a part time job but its the most boring thing ever. I'm trying to find things to do but its quite hard when all my friends are spread around the country :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .:Nat:.)
    Hi all,
    I started at uni in September but had to take leave of absence due to illness. So now I am taking a gap year which I was totally unprepared for. I was just wondering if there was anybody else in a similar situation or have any ideas what I can do (other than work) until September now I am better.
    Nat
    I had to do the same thing a couple of year ago. I wasn't planning on taking a gap year but I wasn't happy with the offers that I got so I rejected all of my university offers and took a gap year.

I recommend just using the year to do things that you have wanted to do but havn't had the chance too yet, however, I'd also say that you do need to try and find a job for the second half of it, purely because otherwise you will get bored and you do feel a bit smug if you turn up to University with some decent savings :P

Personally when I took my gap year I decided to travel a bit, I found a group of people on couchsurfing.org, basically a community for travellers/backpackers who all wanted to go skiing and 20 of us rented a chalet in Andorra for a month to ski. Was brilliant, 20 random people, from all over the world, and while at the start none of us knew anybody there (well, had never met, we all chatted on the website a bit but that was it) we are all now good mates. Since then I've had about half a dozen trips to various parts of the world, and each time I've just rung up one of these guys and asked if I can steal their spare room for a week! Other than that I did what I had always wanted to and bought my first motorbike, and then a couple of months later decided to start job hunting so I could spend 7 months saving up for Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    I had to do the same thing a couple of year ago. I wasn't planning on taking a gap year but I wasn't happy with the offers that I got so I rejected all of my university offers and took a gap year.

I recommend just using the year to do things that you have wanted to do but havn't had the chance too yet, however, I'd also say that you do need to try and find a job for the second half of it, purely because otherwise you will get bored and you do feel a bit smug if you turn up to University with some decent savings :P

Personally when I took my gap year I decided to travel a bit, I found a group of people on couchsurfing.org, basically a community for travellers/backpackers who all wanted to go skiing and 20 of us rented a chalet in Andorra for a month to ski. Was brilliant, 20 random people, from all over the world, and while at the start none of us knew anybody there (well, had never met, we all chatted on the website a bit but that was it) we are all now good mates. Since then I've had about half a dozen trips to various parts of the world, and each time I've just rung up one of these guys and asked if I can steal their spare room for a week! Other than that I did what I had always wanted to and bought my first motorbike, and then a couple of months later decided to start job hunting so I could spend 7 months saving up for Uni.
    Excellent thank you Im going to the Dominican Republic for a couple of weeks then hopefully will be able to save save save on my return! *crosses fingers*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)

cool! im pretty much in the same situation of job hunting too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Nat
    Ideas on what you can do? Are you being serious? TBH there is absolutely NOTHING you can do. How intelligent is that? Ever considered getting a job or volunteer somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent thank you Im going to the Dominican Republic for a couple of weeks then hopefully will be able to save save save on my return! *crosses fingers*
    i just got back from south africa, planning on saving up now and getting ready for the next trip.
    #
    wat u gona do in dominican rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    Ideas on what you can do? Are you being serious? TBH there is absolutely NOTHING you can do. How intelligent is that? Ever considered getting a job or volunteer somewhere?
    I do have a job I just hate it but there aren't many jobs out there to be had. Also doing some volunteering. Just need something else to do in my spare time.

(Original post by bestofyou)
    i just got back from south africa, planning on saving up now and getting ready for the next trip.
    #
    wat u gona do in dominican rep.
    I'm visiting a friend who is teaching out there and being her teaching assistant. Will also be spending time on the beach drinking rum!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.