Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, you hear all these 'stereotypes of different unis (Newcastle heavily 'rah' populated, The London unis full of internationals...) I was wondering what the student body of UEA is like? It's more out of curiosity, then it having a huge part in my decision, but it's nice to know the type of people you'll be living with for the next 3 years...

ReputationRep:
    We're OK I guess...

I've been to two universities (UEA and Nottingham) so I might be able to give you some kind of comparison.

I've found UEA has a lot more students who are a bit quirky or offbeat than Nottingham did. I got this vibe from the open day as well as from living here. There are far fewer Jack Wills types here than there were at Nottingham, if you get me. There are more international students than I expected there to be (mainly from Chinese backgrounds), but obviously a bit of diversity's not a bad thing.

If you have any other questions, let me know. My brain's not working on its own this evening, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I find with UEA there isn't really a prevailing stereotype at all :dontknow: It's a good thing though, it's got a great mix of people.

ReputationRep:
    I see quite a lot of oriental people, but I think thats the same at any uni. So far everyone seems the type to throw on whatever they have thats clean, then go out and laugh at themselves. No-one seems to take themselves seriously here which is a great thing

ReputationRep:
    i think there's quite a few indie people :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'm British but my parents are Chinese. I can already tell there are going to be people approaching me and saying "YOU WANT ME TAKE PHOTO?"

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are as many international students as people are making out. To be honest there is a diverse range of nationalities here but it's absolutely nothing compared to London unis. Generally agree with everyone else - there aren't that many rahs here, most people just are what they are and everyone is fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like quite a good mix of people. I'm almost certain I'll be firming UEA now, it seems like an all round good place to be.

i'm pretty badass for what it's worth

ReputationRep:
      I'm gay, not the big stereotypical type that runs about dancing to Lady Gaga in the middle of the street though.

Just want to know your view of the uni with that kinda thing. Will I fit in? Is there much trouble up there? Are people respecting/comfortable?

Just a bit worried, don't wanna end up at a university full of homophobes!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by reeces101)
      I'm gay, not the big stereotypical type that runs about dancing to Lady Gaga in the middle of the street though.

Just want to know your view of the uni with that kinda thing. Will I fit in? Is there much trouble up there? Are people respecting/comfortable?

Just a bit worried, don't wanna end up at a university full of homophobes!
      I can see from a few of your previous posts you are quite worried about people not accepting you at UEA. Not being a homosexual male I can't directly comment on that but I can tell you that from the people I have met at UEA in the last 2 and a half years everyone is really friendly and layed back so I am sure you will have no trouble at all.

ReputationRep:
      Hi guys i am thinking of applying to UEA and i was wondering if anyone could fill me in on how multicultural the uni is like races etc

ReputationRep:
      There is quite a mix, not many "rah's" tho which is good.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the feedback, and you're right it's definitely something which has been playing on my head.

Thankyou everyone!

Merry Christmas!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.