Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm applying for English. Lit at Uni and have my statement and A2's all pretty much sorted out. However, I only have three Uni choices at the moment; Nottingham (AAB), Loughbrough (AAB), Manchester (AAA/AAB). As I'm currently on AAC grades this is obviously a bit of a problem!

If anyone can suggest any strong Universities either at ABB/BBB grades which are northern/central England then that would be fantastic. Bit of a dead end at the moment, any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Would you be unwilling to consider Scotland or Wales?

ReputationRep:
    Kent is quite good in the English uni rankings and it only asks for ABC (if you translate the ucas tarriffs).
    My friend's studying there and she really likes it

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely consider it if the course was excellent and the grades/location ideal for me, but would prefer to stay in England and within 2 hours of Leeds if at all possible! Where did you have in mind?

EDIT: Only ABC? Fantastic, heard good things about it but never really looked in as assumed it would be AAA as for other humanities subjects, thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    essex, oxford brookes, teeside, UWE- Bristol, suffolk, UEA, not sure on the grade requirements for english, but do a ucas course search, Essex accept general studies if you take it though and they give their offers in points usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turpin)
    I'd definitely consider it if the course was excellent and the grades/location ideal for me, but would prefer to stay in England and within 2 hours of Leeds if at all possible! Where did you have in mind?

EDIT: Only ABC? Fantastic, heard good things about it but never really looked in as assumed it would be AAA as for other humanities subjects, thanks a lot!
    I was thinking Aberdeen (although no one tell RamocitoMorales I'd give it credit as a strong uni :ninja:) which is BBB. Would also suggest East Anglia at AAB/ABB, but possibly too far south - based in Norwich.

At a predicted AAC, have you also got an insurance to allow for that C?

ReputationRep:
    Not quite your preferred area but Swansea is well-regarded in Wales and asks for ABB-BBB. A friend of mine studied Geography at Reading and speaks very highly of it; I believe the university asks for ABB for English. Perhaps you could have a look at Surrey as well if it's not too far south for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    essex, oxford brookes, teeside, UWE- Bristol, suffolk, UEA, not sure on the grade requirements for english, but do a ucas course search, Essex accept general studies if you take it though and they give their offers in points usually.
    I'm also applying to do english lit and used essex as a backup as they were for BB in 2 Alevels and there course seemed very interesting and challenging for such low entry requirements!

I also applied to Durham, Warwick, UEA and Kent, as they all seem to have pretty strong english lit departments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I was thinking Aberdeen (although no one tell RamocitoMorales I'd give it credit as a strong uni :ninja:) which is BBB. Would also suggest East Anglia at AAB/ABB, but possibly too far south - based in Norwich.

At a predicted AAC, have you also got an insurance to allow for that C?
    I considered Aberdeen too as it seemed to be quite an underated uni, but travelling form London to Scotland would have been too stressful!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, thanks you all so much for the help and recommendations! I've had a good look at all the suggestions on UCAS, uni websites and The Times Guide now and feel much further forward with my thinking. At last I have some good Uni's at AAB/BBB level in case I miss my target of AAB!

So right now I'm thinking, in order of preference;

Nottingham - English. Lit - AAB
    Loughbrough - English - AAB

U.E.A - English. Lit - AAB/ABB (both my parents went and sounds fantastic, assumed grades would be AAA*. etc as it's so well respected and the whole reputation with the library and lecturers, thanks so much for nudging me in this direction!)
    Reading - English. Lit - ABB/BBB
    Aberdeen - English - BBB (just for something a bit different as back-up!)

So what do you think of that as a selection? Baring in mind I'm on AAC but am re-sitting part of AS History (C subject) and expect it to end up on a B... is this range too narrow still and in need of a really low backup at BBC/BCC? Thanks again for all the help, feeling much happier about it all after tonight!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, thanks you all so much for the help and recommendations! I've had a good look at all the suggestions on UCAS, uni websites and The Times Guide now and feel much further forward with my thinking. At last I have some good Uni's at AAB/BBB level in case I miss my target of AAB!

So right now I'm thinking, in order of preference;

Nottingham - English. Lit - AAB
    Loughbrough - English - AAB

U.E.A - English. Lit - AAB/ABB (both my parents went and sounds fantastic, assumed grades would be AAA*. etc as it's so well respected and the whole reputation with the library and lecturers, thanks so much for nudging me in this direction!)
    Reading - English. Lit - ABB/BBB
    Aberdeen - English - BBB (just for something a bit different as back-up!)

So what do you think of that as a selection? Baring in mind I'm on AAC but am re-sitting part of AS History (C subject) and expect it to end up on a B... is this range too narrow still and in need of a really low backup at BBC/BCC? Thanks again for all the help, feeling much happier about it all after tonight!
    Are you predicted AAC, or are they the grades you have from AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Are you predicted AAC, or are they the grades you have from AS?
    I'm predicted AAB overall for final A2 result, got AAC with a very high C at AS level and re-sitting one side of the course in January. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted AAB overall for final A2 result, got AAC with a very high C at AS level and re-sitting one side of the course in January. Cheers!
    In that case, if you're confident about getting the B in history, I'd say that selection is good - covers the range from appropriate to a couple of safer choices.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.