Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Organ donation-Yay or nay? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I became an organ donor around a month ago and seemed pretty indifferent about it. I told my rents and my dad shrugged it off but my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

I signed up because if I was unfortunate enough to need an organ I'd like it before I died, so why not be the donor?

Well anyway, I just want to hear your views on organ donation, are you against it, or do you embrace it?

Reasons please.

ReputationRep:
    Yes clearly, because there's no reason not to

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Why the hell not?

ReputationRep:
    yes!
    when im dead i wont need my organs
    so if im saving lives when im dead ill be pretty happy (even though i wont know lol)

ReputationRep:
    Yes. When I'm dead, I'm not going to need my organs; why not give them to someone who needs them?

That said, I doubt mine will be wanted. I don't take very good care of my body. They'll probably take one look at them and shove them back in.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of a single reason why not. Letting them rot underground or burn in a crematorium is simply a waste.

ReputationRep:
    Yes; I value the lives of others greater than mine.
    Do you need to be 18 to be registered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Yes clearly, because there's no reason not to
    I can see why people might not want to but personally i don't see a problem with it

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Someone else may as well have my organs. I wont be needing them anymore if I'm dead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resentment.)
    Yes; I value the lives of others greater than mine.
    Do you need to be 18 to be registered?
    I think so, but check the website to be sure.

Edit: Diminutive proved me wrong. You can if you're under 18 with parental permission.

ReputationRep:
    yes absolutely.
    letting good, healthy organs rot in the ground or be turnt into ash when there are lots of people dying whilst waiting for those same organs.. i definatly want to donate.

ReputationRep:
    The only possible remotely logical opinion I've ever heard is that someone felt that medics might be less inclined go full out to save their life, if they thought their organs would save another one of their patients. Especially as they would already have a relationship with that person... so if you died, your death is eased by them saving a patient they've got to know type thing. Though, they don't even properly find out if your a donor or not till you die... so it's a rubbish excuse.

Personally I think that people not on the donor list should be at the very bottom of the waiting lists for any organs they might need. If you aren't willing to donate, why should you receive a donation.... and why should you receive a donation above someone who is/was willing to donate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know tbh...maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's absolutely fine.

I havent done it, but that's because I've donated my body to science once I die. (don't want to lumber those close to me with costs for disposing of dead meat). these are the only 2 worthwhile things to do with your body, burying or burning something so useful for saving lives and research is just spiteful.

ReputationRep:
    I only asked that they let me keep my eyes other than that they're welcome to 'em

ReputationRep:
    BTW, any age can join the donor register, but if you're under 18 you need parental consent (they need to sign the forms). They would generally double check with an adult in the case of the death of a child.
    There is always a lot of demand for organs for young children
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    They can harvest me for whatever they can get. If I die I hope I can at least help somebody else live a little longer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    I think so, but check the website to be sure.
    nope you can sign up to be a donar when you apply for your provisional lisence at 17.

i am an organ donar, i won't need my organs when i die.

ReputationRep:
    of course, I was actually thinking of becoming one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    you dont need them when youre dead so why shouldnt someone else have them?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.