The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Unless I convert to the religion of the ancient egyptians, I dont see any reason why someone shouldnt have my organs. I don't think I will need them when I'm dead.
Reply 21
No. I will never do it. And I would rather die than accept an organ or blood from someone else. And no, before anyone starts saying "but you will think differently if you were about to die" I will never change my opinion about this. If my body cannot function on it's own with the organs that it has then so be it. I can't think of anything worse than someone mutilating my body, taking out all my organs like from some old car. No, just no.
Reply 22
Yes, Im definately for it. I really dont understand people who are against it.

More people need to actually sign the register though - Im sure most people are for it, but never get round to signing up :smile:
I personally don't want my organs donated, as selfish as it sounds. But that's down to what I believe happens after death. I want my body left in peace.

I know I'm going to get some negative rep for this -.-
I'm for it. I carry a card and my family know I would like to donate everything (though my mother refuses to donate my corneas).

I'm also for the opt-out system rather than the opt-in system we have at the moment!
Reply 25
I'm on the register :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by CoffeeStinks
I became an organ donor around a month ago and seemed pretty indifferent about it. I told my rents and my dad shrugged it off but my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

I signed up because if I was unfortunate enough to need an organ I'd like it before I died, so why not be the donor?

Well anyway, I just want to hear your views on organ donation, are you against it, or do you embrace it?

Reasons please.

Yeah I signed up, no qualms about it....In my death hopefully I'll help save someone's life. Failing that I could be a good cadaver for some medic student to chop up :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Yes, I've put myself down as an organ doner, hopefully I won't have to use it! But still, if I'm dead why on earth would I need my organs?
I'd do it, but I wouldn't like to donate corneas or tissue etc - call me crazy but I'd quite like to be put in the coffin with my eyes and skin intact. All other major organs I'd be fine to donate though.
I'm a card-carrying donor, but it would be nice if we could somehow make sure they go to people who really deserve them.

Having heard what medics get up to with cadavers I'm inclined not to donate my body to science!
Donating all but my eyes!
Reply 31
I'm an organ donor. If I die, I'd rather make my life somewhat useful to someone else. My parents threw a bit of a fit, but that's because they are religious and I'm atheist.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Diminutive
BTW, any age can join the donor register, but if you're under 18 you need parental consent (they need to sign the forms). They would generally double check with an adult in the case of the death of a child.
There is always a lot of demand for organs for young children :frown:

You can sign up online at any age, I did at 16 (they didn't even ask for parental consent or anything)

I guess it's not the kind of think little kids randomly decide to do in an IT lesson...
(edited 13 years ago)
Of course. I work in organ transplantation and love everything about it. It's by far the coolest feat medical science has ever achieved.
I'm for it but it should be voluntary.
Original post by tinshed
No. I will never do it. And I would rather die than accept an organ or blood from someone else. And no, before anyone starts saying "but you will think differently if you were about to die" I will never change my opinion about this. If my body cannot function on it's own with the organs that it has then so be it. I can't think of anything worse than someone mutilating my body, taking out all my organs like from some old car. No, just no.

Why would you much rather die than have blood or an organ from somebody else?
Did you know some people have pigs organs? They seem fine with it.

Do you believe in the after life?
Original post by DivinityofReason

Did you know some people have pigs organs? They seem fine with it.

Xenotransplantation hasn't kicked off yet, it's almost entirely theoretical. Pigs have an extra blood group, so they reject quickly. The only things of pigs that are transplanted presently are heart valves because they're immunologically inert. Whole organs are way way off in the future, 20-50 years probably.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by tinshed

good, stupid people dying is no problem to me, speeds up our evolution as a species
I'm on the register, when you're dead you don't exactly need organs.
Reply 39
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Donating all but my eyes!

Is it because they are nice and green? lol :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending