The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by a_t
good, stupid people dying is no problem to me, speeds up our evolution as a species

Harsh.

I'm undecided really
Reply 41
I support because obviously I won't be using my organs when I'm dead.
Although I HATE the fact that your family can just completely ignore your decision after you've died ¬¬
I'm just glad my parents support my decision.
Original post by killa78
Is it because they are nice and green? lol :biggrin:

They are nice and green, but they are have major astigmatism and are long sighted and one of them is lazy...and I know that is still better than being blind, but it would also creep me out if someone else was walking around with my eyes as that is a visible part of me :s-smilie:
Yea but people of certain religions who dont donate themselves would be ineligible to receive mine.

If thats not an option, then society wil further suffer due to their beliefs
Yay. I signed up as an organ donor when I registered with my GP at Uni. No reason not to.
Reply 45
I'm actually writing an essay for my medical law module (LLB Law) on this very topic. Basically, I have to assess whether the current law is satisfactory or whether reform to an opt out system and a market in organs is advisable.

I am all for organ donation -it can save the lives of those who would otherwise die. Once we're dead, we don't have any need for our organs (I believe) -there is even an argument by a guy named Harris that there should be no choice in the matter. After all, he argues, our bodies can be cut open by a coroner if there is any question of fowl play or if we die of an infectious disease/unknown reasons etc. We don't "own" our own bodies in law -because you can't own yourself!

However, the problem many people (viz. academics) have with cadaver organ donation is the definition of death. Your heart can be removed whilst it is still beating. This comes down to the legal definition of death -which is brain stem death. it is thus perfectly possible for a person to be on a ventilator but actually be dead for the purposes of the law. Obviously, organs degrade quickly, so there is every need to act quickly. But things have been tried. For instance, one pilot programme in the 90s saw the NHS undertake "elective ventilation". This is fundamentally where a person who is an organ donor who is dying will be moved from the ward to ITU, put onto a ventilator and allowed to lapse into a coma. Then when brain stem death occurs, their organs would be removed. The problem with this was that people's last moments were being needlessly spent on ITU and not on the ward with their family/invasive treatment etc.

There is also the argument that we should take organs from those in PVS -after all, those who have been in it for more than one year have a very slim-to zero chance of even regaining consciousness....so it's the good old slippery slope argument.

There is also the argument that people should be able to buy and sell organs (the argument goes that the NHS should administer this to avoid the rich queue jumping). Arguments against this include exploitation and risk. But proponents point out that we can do risky jobs (i.e. many people in LDCs work in dangerous jobs. The mortality rate for live kidney donations is less than 1:3,000. Apparently, if one of your kidneys is damaged the other one is also often damaged, so to argue that you might need your other one seems a bit redundant. Also, the argument goes that you can do a "dual good" -i.e. help someone get out of poverty and also save a life/cut waiting lists (given the cost of dialysis on the NHS, the NHS could potentially actually afford to do this)!

So lots to think about!
Reply 46
Yes im for it, when I'm dead I won't have the need for organs so if someone else can survive and lead a happy life then it's all good.

I also think of it as you living on and not just rotting away in a box.
Sure. If I receive a transplant or an organ I would expect to sign up.
Reply 48
Original post by adam0311
I'm an organ donor. If I die, I'd rather make my life somewhat useful to someone else. My parents threw a bit of a fit, but that's because they are religious and I'm atheist.

I don't know about the US, but over here relatives can override the decision :frown: Make sure your parents are really clear that you won't let them do that!! Although when you're dead you can;t do anything to stop them :s-smilie:

OP, yes I am on the register :smile: I don't get why people on this thread are so squeamish about eyes either? Anybody care to explain?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by greeneyedgirl
They are nice and green, but they are have major astigmatism and are long sighted and one of them is lazy...and I know that is still better than being blind, but it would also creep me out if someone else was walking around with my eyes as that is a visible part of me :s-smilie:

Aha
No worries :smile:
You don't have to justify yourself to me! :biggrin:

I personally don't believe in organ donating due to religious reasons, so you are a better person then me regarding this :smile:
I give blood, but would never become an organ donor...

Your body can produce more blood, but and organ is a part of you in a different way.

I just wouldn't be comfortable with it; but would encourage anyone who is to do sign up if they were comfortable as it really can make a difference.
Original post by killa78
Aha
No worries :smile:
You don't have to justify yourself to me! :biggrin:

I personally don't believe in organ donating due to religious reasons, so you are a better person then me regarding this :smile:

What religious reasons if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by ily_em
I don't know about the US, but over here relatives can override the decision :frown: Make sure your parents are really clear that you won't let them do that!! Although when you're dead you can;t do anything to stop them :s-smilie:

OP, yes I am on the register :smile: I don't get why people on this thread are so squeamish about eyes either? Anybody care to explain?

I find it creepy to think of people walking around with a visible part of me. Imagine meeting someone and recognising their eyes :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Also, i have astigmatism, am long sighted, have a lazy eye etc. so they aren't great eyes to start with :P
Yep, been on the register ever since I realised you could be before you were 18. Tell your mum that it's your choice not her's and that she should respect your decision when the doctors ask her if they can use your organs.

My mum's told me that she'll haunt me if I let the doctors leave her organs in her :s-smilie:
Reply 54
I find it creepy to think of people walking around with a visible part of me. Imagine meeting someone and recognising their eyes :s-smilie: :s-smilie:

Also, i have astigmatism, am long sighted, have a lazy eye etc. so they aren't great eyes to start with :P

Mine aren't great either but I'm not a doctor so don't know if they'll be able to find a use for them; I'll leave it to the docs to decide! I guess it's creepy in a way but I figure I'll be dead so have no idea what's going on :wink:
Original post by ily_em
Mine aren't great either but I'm not a doctor so don't know if they'll be able to find a use for them; I'll leave it to the docs to decide! I guess it's creepy in a way but I figure I'll be dead so have no idea what's going on :wink:

I know I won't have an idea, but for the other people in my life, I'd rather they didn't have to see my eyes lol! At the end of the day, I think the other organs are more important to donate too, as they are life threatening.
Reply 56
What religious reasons if you don't mind me asking?

I do mind you asking....

Nahhhh!

Umm, Personally I'm not too sure about this, so someone on here may probably have a go at me if I get it wrong :confused:

But,
I'm muslim, so I believe in life after death.
We believe that anything that your dead body goes through will be felt in the afterlife as a very painful experience.

Thats why, we (muslims) should be buried as soon as possible and are against Post mortems.

I think this is the case, I've heard this reasoning before lol
Hope this helped! :biggrin:
Original post by killa78
I do mind you asking....

Nahhhh!

Umm, Personally I'm not too sure about this, so someone on here may probably have a go at me if I get it wrong :confused:

But,
I'm muslim, so I believe in life after death.
We believe that anything that your dead body goes through will be felt in the afterlife as a very painful experience.

Thats why, we (muslims) should be buried as soon as possible and are against Post mortems.

I think this is the case, I've heard this reasoning before lol
Hope this helped! :biggrin:

Ah okay :smile: Fair enough. As a Christian, nothing that happens to me will affect my life after death so I'm good to donate my organs =D
Reply 58
Ah okay :smile: Fair enough. As a Christian, nothing that happens to me will affect my life after death so I'm good to donate my organs =D

Coollll :smile:
i would if I could! lol
I'm on the organ donor, they can take anything apart from my eyes.. I don't know why but I feel really weird about having my eyes messed with when I'm dead.. I'd rather them stay (even though I know they're no use once I'm dead!)

I think all people should donate, if I can save just one life when mine ends then I'd be very happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending