The Student Room Group

Organ donation-Yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinshed
No. I will never do it. And I would rather die than accept an organ or blood from someone else. And no, before anyone starts saying "but you will think differently if you were about to die" I will never change my opinion about this. If my body cannot function on it's own with the organs that it has then so be it. I can't think of anything worse than someone mutilating my body, taking out all my organs like from some old car. No, just no.

Just curious, would you feel the same if a loved one needed an organ and/or blood?
Reply 61
Original post by killa78
I do mind you asking....

Nahhhh!

Umm, Personally I'm not too sure about this, so someone on here may probably have a go at me if I get it wrong :confused:

But,
I'm muslim, so I believe in life after death.
We believe that anything that your dead body goes through will be felt in the afterlife as a very painful experience.

Thats why, we (muslims) should be buried as soon as possible and are against Post mortems.

I think this is the case, I've heard this reasoning before lol
Hope this helped! :biggrin:

I'm not a Muslim, so not qualified to comment, BUT it was my understanding that generally now, the Religion sees it as acceptable to donate organs provided certain conditions are met. See for instance:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543788

Obviously, it's still your choice. You can choose not to donate organs or any reason, or no reason at all -but do find out that it's definitely prohibited by your Religion first. Sorry if I'm missing something -I'm not trying to say your views or beliefs are incorrect, just pointing the above out -no offence intended :smile:
I am an organ donor. I mean what the **** do I want them for? At least I can make help someone live when I die
Reply 63
Original post by iamorgan
I'm not a Muslim, so not qualified to comment, BUT it was my understanding that generally now, the Religion sees it as acceptable to donate organs provided certain conditions are met. See for instance:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503543788

Obviously, it's still your choice. You can choose not to donate organs or any reason, or no reason at all -but do find out that it's definitely prohibited by your Religion first. Sorry if I'm missing something -I'm not trying to say your views or beliefs are incorrect, just pointing the above out -no offence intended :smile:

Lol
Yehhh
I was waiting for that! :biggrin:
I'm not sure myself tbh.

And dw!
You don't have to be so careful with what you say :smile:
I'm not one of those easily offended people lol
I would sign up but when I told my mum I was thinking about it she said she'd respect my choice but she'd rather bury me whole.

She's my mum and I think if I die she'll have enough on her plate without having to allow the doctors to remove my organs when it'd make her even more upset.

I know it's slightly odd but I wouldn't like to donate aything visible (skin, eyes, hair...) or my heart for some strange reason. I'd be perfectly happy with anything else though.
Reply 65
Original post by killa78
Lol
Yehhh
I was waiting for that! :biggrin:
I'm not sure myself tbh.

And dw!
You don't have to be so careful with what you say :smile:
I'm not one of those easily offended people lol

In the context of religion, how are you able to comfortably be a muslim and not understand what it is you actually believe?

I mean that would be the same as not believing it, wouldn't it?
I understand that you were probably raised a muslim and so obviously there is a family and cultural thing going on, but, as someone who has had to do a lot of research to confirm my own beliefs, I just find this bizzare.

If you don't mind taking a moment to talk about it I'd love to hear
Original post by helpineedsomebody
Yea but people of certain religions who dont donate themselves would be ineligible to receive mine.

If thats not an option, then society wil further suffer due to their beliefs

It's not an option. Your family wouldn't be able to verify who it went to due to confidentiality anyway, but no. 27 on here http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/how_to_become_a_donor/questions/questions.jspsays that your organs must be freely donated. This is probably because otherwise there would be a lot more 'I'm not giving my organs to a black/gay/muslim etc. person'.

Original post by Diminutive
The only possible remotely logical opinion I've ever heard is that someone felt that medics might be less inclined go full out to save their life, if they thought their organs would save another one of their patients.

I understand where this opinion comes from, but if you look at no. 9 on the link it should answer the question. Obviously even if it was the case they wouldn't admit it, but the dr. who is treating you most likely isn't also the dr. of the patient who would receive your organs, so that shouldn't really be a factor for them.

Original post by CoffeeStinks
my mum was like 'Okay, but I can over ride that decision.'

Congrats on becoming a donor, unfortunately your mum is right, noone is going to force a grieving mother to donate her child's organs, but apparently most of the time the last thing people want to do is go against the wishes of their dead relative, even if they were against them in life. Happy days :smile:
Yeah. It's not like I'm going to need them.

Quick question: I registered to be an organ donor online, so presumably I am on the list, but they never sent me a donor card. I thought they would so that they can know more quickly that I am a donor, they can just look in my wallet. Is it normal to not get sent a card these days? Anyone know?
Reply 68
Original post by Buran
In the context of religion, how are you able to comfortably be a muslim and not understand what it is you actually believe?

I mean that would be the same as not believing it, wouldn't it?
I understand that you were probably raised a muslim and so obviously there is a family and cultural thing going on, but, as someone who has had to do a lot of research to confirm my own beliefs, I just find this bizzare.

If you don't mind taking a moment to talk about it I'd love to hear

It's not really something I've ever thought about and have opinions about.
It's never occured to me because I've never considered being an organ donor.

Therefore I wouldn't reaally have to know every single rule would I?
Reply 69
Original post by killa78

I suppose, although subscribing to a set of rules I didn't know would bug me a bit. Then on encountering the problem having to be like "well I think I believe this" is a bit strange for me - surely you believe what you believe? I mean you can weigh up the pros and cons in light of your religion but I dunno, having to say "I don't know what I believe unless I look at my rulebook" seems a bit odd.

Anyway, thanks for your time x
Reply 70
Take it, take it all. When I am dead I will not "own" my body. Seems terrible not to let others use it. I find it really odd how many people are against their eyes being taken. You won't know the difference! And anyone who has parts of your eye is not going to have people going, "OMG YOU HAVE X'S EYE, I RECOGNISE IT!"

When I was a kid there was an assembly at my school about this eleven year-old boy who had died but his organs/blood/etc. had been used to treat/save literally hundreds of people. I was really affected by that, and told my parents straight away that I wanted to donate anything and everything should anything ever happen to me.
Yes.
Reply 72
It's a brilliant idea. People have no excuse not too,
I think if anyone is willing to give their organs to someone
who needs them, then they are true heroes. You don't
need them when you're dead, so why shouldn't you?
Original post by killa78

just to let you know, islam does allow organ donation.
Reply 74
Original post by Buran
I suppose, although subscribing to a set of rules I didn't know would bug me a bit. Then on encountering the problem having to be like "well I think I believe this" is a bit strange for me - surely you believe what you believe? I mean you can weigh up the pros and cons in light of your religion but I dunno, having to say "I don't know what I believe unless I look at my rulebook" seems a bit odd.

Anyway, thanks for your time x

No problem :smile:

Hope I helped in some way or another :biggrin:
Reply 75
Original post by Cravez
just to let you know, islam does allow organ donation.

Yeahhhh
Just read about it lol
Reply 76
Original post by ily_em
I don't know about the US, but over here relatives can override the decision :frown: Make sure your parents are really clear that you won't let them do that!! Although when you're dead you can;t do anything to stop them :s-smilie:

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Are they allowed to override even after 18?

Here in the US it's the decision of the individual and no one can do anything to override. My parents are fine with it now, as they've grown to understand my religious outlook compared to two years ago when I had to make the decision to be a donor.
Your mum's clearly an idiot.
Reply 78
Original post by Diminutive
Personally I think that people not on the donor list should be at the very bottom of the waiting lists for any organs they might need. If you aren't willing to donate, why should you receive a donation.... and why should you receive a donation above someone who is/was willing to donate.

Some people would have had diseased organs from birth and thus would not be allowed to join the register...
Reply 79
Organ donation should be opt out not opt in, you don't agree with then you're anti-life and morally up yourself. Truth of the matter is you don't need them when you're dead, why deny a life to someone in desperate need of something you don't have any use for any more?
Anyone who disagrees is ****, religion or no religion (in fact, using religion as an excuse not to is even more ridiculous).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending