Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...e_20090522.pdf

Question 4)B). I have worked out the horizontal and vertical reactions at the hinge correctly. Horizontal (to the left) as 44.1N, vertical (downwards) as 14.7N. Worked out the magnitude correctly. But I just can't work out the direction. I did arctan(14.7/44.1) = 18.4 degrees, that's the clockwise angle from the downwards vertical (AC). So I added 90, to make 108.4 degrees, and that's the clockwise angle from AB or AD. However, that's not the same as in the markscheme which has the following:

18.4 (0.322 radians) below the line of BA
    161.6 (2.82 radians) below the line of AB
    (108.4 or 1.89 radians to upward vertical)

Please tell me what I've done wrong ><.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Bumpety bump? :<

ReputationRep:
    You've got the horizontal reaction in the wrong direction. It's going to the right not the left. The wall AC will be pushing against the rod, if the reaction was to the left (as you say) it wouldn't be in equilibrium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    You've got the horizontal reaction in the wrong direction. It's going to the right not the left. The wall AC will be pushing against the rod, if the reaction was to the left (as you say) it wouldn't be in equilibrium.
    Hmm, just to make sure, the thrust on the diagonal line thing is going diagonally up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Hmm, just to make sure, the thrust on the diagonal line thing is going diagonally up?
    Yeah, because the rod is pushing down on it (weight).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Yeah, because the rod is pushing down on it (weight).
    That means it has a horizontal component ( --> direction). Meaning their must be something in the other direction (<--) for it to be in equilibrium. The hinge reaction at A is the only thing I could see?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.