The Student Room Group

Punishing your children......

Scroll to see replies

Just watched it on youtube, and watched all the reactions of the mums in the audience......poor kid, that is not only physical abuse but it's torture in a way, because a smack lasts a second and this kid is being made to actually endure pain.
Reply 81
I got a huge urge to punch that woman...
Original post by scotttb
well if you turned out fine then that will definetly work for everybody

And your sarcastic and rude manner indicates to me that you were abused as a child. Poor kid.
OMFG I would ****ing beat some sense into that vile women. I agree with maybe a smack if something major happens but that's ****ing disgusting. Feel so sorry for the kid :frown:
Reply 84
This is awful! That women needs a B**** slap!
I found that really hard to watch as well, I think it was way overboard.
I do agree with discipline but more to do with sanctions and explaining and reasoning with the kid as to what they have done wrong so as they understand why they are not allowed to watch TV or something. But I do not agree with this, this is abuse and nothing less.
Original post by NaturalDisaster

Original post by NaturalDisaster
The video is seriously disturbing. You should hear the kid, that's not just crying because he's being punished, he's in actual pain. It's sick.

Well that's the point, for him to be in pain. You don't cry because you are being punished but because of the actual punishment. In relation to your comment before, that mum was very much in self control. She was talking clearly and coherently. She din't lose it. Or would you think it was better she punished him whilst having a smiley face :smile:.
At first I thought this was really bad but thinking about it, I have done those things voluntarily (drunk hot sauce and had cold showers) even when I was very young so it's probably the kid's reaction more than anything which makes it seem so bad. Considering the child is adopted you wouldn't think the mother would be that strict but far more forgiving as a stereotypical foster mother who adopted out of the kindness of her heart but clearly not. Anyway, I think this punishment is too harsh but I wouldn't go as far as to say she should lose custody of the child forever because of one incident like this despite it being uncomfortable to watch.
omg pooor child :frown: I want to go and give that bitch a fcking cold shower and extra extra extra hot sauce for being a fckin bitch..i would never do that to my child or anyone else's..i thought my parents were fcked :s-smilie: but after seeing this omg
Reply 88
I personally think that is horrendous, its not a punishment its torture and humiliation.

I think a quick tap on the hand is ok depending on what the child has done (it certainly didn't harm me when I was younger) but that is cruel, obviously no child is going to like their punishment but this seems to traumatise the poor child.
Reply 89
Discipline is extremely important, but I do not agree with this woman's methods at all. Discipline should make you regret what you have done. It does not need to make you scream in terror.

The boy didn't even seem to understand half the questions she was asking him. They were far too long for such a young child to understand.

She made him say, repeatedly, that he was a liar and was going to be in big trouble. That's just humiliating and unnecessary.

That boy may grow up very well-behaved. He's also going to grow up afraid of his mother.
(edited 13 years ago)
Absolutly disgusting I recently read one of those child abuse novels, where someone relives their experience through a book.

Both of those methods were ones that she mentioned in the book!! Hot sauce and cold showers, she can no longer take showers. It child abuse and they shouldnt have shown it on tv, they should be calling child protection.

I bet they do other things that I read in the book too, like making them stand at the top of the stairs for hours during the night!

Shes sick!
what i dont like about it, is it appears to be trying to condition and brainwash the child.....
Reply 93
That poor little boy. :frown:
He will probably end up hating his mother, wearing her clothes or his wifes clothes, perhaps torturing small animals or as a serial murderer. Iam exaggerating there,probably,but to me that kind of behaviour is so damaging.It far worse, in my opinion than a good old fashioned belting from your dad when you told your mum to F off, and no I never swore at my mother again after that.In fact within hours me and my Dad were mates again.

Where is the father? I do wonder if she has trouble coping with a male child perhaps and feels wrongly,that this is what she must do? A little known fact that while most sexual abuse to children within families, reported anyway is carried out by men, when physical abuse is concerned ,it is the women mainly.

And what was this all for? ,being naughty at school... You can see how upset he is,as he knows what is coming and she makes sure he knows. Thats why I find upsetting ,more in fact than what she did, and that is what is in my view damaging. Plus placing a young boy in a cold shower,when his immune system is not at it's peak ,with all those bugs flying about at school, she could end up in the dock for manslaughter. And how hot was the sauce?

Just remember that if the Police did this,to even a hardened criminal ,they would be in serious trouble. So why is it acceptable to do it to a little boy?

Iam all for discipline in peoples homes, I think boys especially need a father, and also need to not be fearful but to respect their father, and know they are not the man of the house, I even think a belting for serious trangressions , isn't harmful and probably is helpful in realising there is line that musn't be crossed.This is very important for boys. But, what she did ,for such a minor thing, and it was a minor thing, that warranted at most a *******ing and being sent to his room, isn't helpful in anyway.

The cold calm way she does this,makes me think she has a screw loose, funnily enough if she showed more anger I would view it as frustration.But she seems to have a 'system' of punishment, which isn't normal.She probably needs medication, and a spell in a mental ward. Perhaps she is sexually frustrated no idea, but the psychiatrists need to meet her I think. And he needs to be removed from her clutches before he becomes a basket case as an adult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending