Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm seriously torn on this; I have a Manchester offer and have been told I'm going to get a Sheffield offer, but having seen them both I honestly can't decide which I prefer...which is meant to be better for maths? I think I prefer the city of Manchester but sheffield seemed to have nicer facilities (mainly the library :P)...

This also depends on my other offers, hoping for one from Bristol and York (rejected from Oxford ) so I'm hoping I'll get Bristol as my first, but not sure where York would be...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you get offers from your remaining choices then academically this is the rough order of the quality of your universities; Bristol, Manchester, York, Sheffield.

Manchester>Sheffield. Plus the maths dept is huge

(Original post by alexs2602)
      If you get offers from your remaining choices then academically this is the rough order of the quality of your universities; Bristol, Manchester, York, Sheffield.
      Sheffield's better than York.

ReputationRep:
      Manchester is NOT 'a country mile' better than Sheffield, both institutions are highly respected and there is very little to choese between them. In addition, why is having a huge depatment a good thing? Chances are you'll be just another face in the department and struggle to get to know the staff well.

(Original post by TheFoxBlip)
        Manchester is NOT 'a country mile' better than Sheffield, both institutions are highly respected and there is very little to choese between them. In addition, why is having a huge depatment a good thing? Chances are you'll be just another face in the department and struggle to get to know the staff well.
        Exactly. You go to the open day and you choose the department which suits you. Too many people are hung up on league tables...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TheFoxBlip)
        That really isn't true. If you just go up to them after the lecturer most will talk to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What time of year is the worst for students?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.