Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tips for getting over your ex? Watch

Anyone have any tips for getting over their ex-partners? My girlfriend of 3+ years has recently finished with me and I just can't get over it or her.

My house mates have been awesome, friends amazing and even to my surprise my parents have been so caring and helpful, but I'm still struggling an immense amount

I have read the break up article on here and its actually been pretty useful

Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Or should I just try and try to win her back? Would she like this? Would it work? or do I just have to move on?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anyone have any tips for getting over their ex-partners? My girlfriend of 3+ years has recently finished with me and I just can't get over it or her.

My house mates have been awesome, friends amazing and even to my surprise my parents have been so caring and helpful, but I'm still struggling an immense amount

Any advice would be greatly appreciated . Or should I just try and try to win her back? Would she like this? Would it work? or do I just have to move on?

Thank you
    The passage of time.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing you can do. Let time do it's thing and just stay away from her.

ReputationRep:
    Sleep with lots of girls.

ReputationRep:
    If you want her back then try, because even if you fail (which is probably likely, it always is - otherwise she wouldn't have ended things in the first place) you will be able to look back with the satisfaction that you did everything you could.

After this stage you need to take her off that pedestal. The best way to get over love is to turn it into hate. If you fail to win her back you have nothing to lose by hating her, so do it - it will help you.

Block and delete her from Facebook, otherwise you'll only keep checking up on her, but don't do this until you are ready. After a while you'll only be doing this out of habit and out of curiosity - this is when you block and delete, then you will be able to get on with your life.

Don't expect to be over her quickly though - they say it takes the same length of time you were with someone to get over them.

The above worked for me anyway lol

Thanks for your replies. Time is the answer given by most, but wont I just be forgetting than I love her rather than not loving her? Is this the only way if so?

ReputationRep:
    Don't sleep with lots of girls! However do go out and have fun. Flirt and have a laugh. It's good to know other girls besides your ex appreciate you. Plus it means you're showing your ex you're not sitting at home moping.

(Original post by Barden)
    If you want her back then try, because even if you fail (which is probably likely, it always is - otherwise she wouldn't have ended things in the first place) you will be able to look back with the satisfaction that you did everything you could.

After this stage you need to take her off that pedestal. The best way to get over love is to turn it into hate. If you fail to win her back you have nothing to lose by hating her, so do it - it will help you.

Block and delete her from Facebook, otherwise you'll only keep checking up on her, but don't do this until you are ready. After a while you'll only be doing this out of habit and out of curiosity - this is when you block and delete, then you will be able to get on with your life.

Don't expect to be over her quickly though - they say it takes the same length of time you were with someone to get over them.

The above worked for me anyway lol

Thanks. You're so right about the facebook checking, she doesn't use it anywhere near the amount as me but I still live on her profile. Thanks again, opinion noted

I know it sounds harsh but cutting all contact from your ex helps.

Me and my girlfriend were extremely close friends for 3.5years and we always said that we would try and be friends afterwards. The problem was that it was ****ing hard! I couldnt even phone her without breaking down..

I even deleted her off my facebook.

I know it sounds harsh but cutting all contact from your ex helps.

Me and my girlfriend were extremely close friends for 3.5years and we always said that we would try and be friends afterwards. The problem was that it was ****ing hard! I couldnt even phone her without breaking down..

I even deleted her off my facebook.
    I can understand. Hearing her voice the next day crushed me and made me shake like I never had before. Thanks, will probably have to take the facebook advice.

ReputationRep:
    Bang any chick which is hotter than your ex. Simple.

Thank you
      Remove anything which reminds you of her from your life. Photos, emails, cards - everything really. Out of sight, out of mind - don't give yourself something to hold onto when you have nothing to gain from doing so.

Once you've done that - take it one day at a time and avoid checking up on her. It's a hard and long road, but you will get to a stage when you accept that it's done and dusted. That's when you know you've moved on.

Darren

ReputationRep:
      Pole vault

(Original post by JessyAnn)
      Don't sleep with lots of girls! However do go out and have fun. Flirt and have a laugh. It's good to know other girls besides your ex appreciate you. Plus it means you're showing your ex you're not sitting at home moping.
      Thanks, moping is so easy right now! Shall try and follow your advice as I know it's the best answer instead of moping

ReputationRep:
      Have sex with some sluts.

(Original post by DPLSK)
      Remove anything which reminds you of her from your life. Photos, emails, cards - everything really. Out of sight, out of mind - don't give yourself something to hold onto when you have nothing to gain from doing so.

Once you've done that - take it one day at a time and avoid checking up on her. It's a hard and long road, but you will get to a stage when you accept that it's done and dusted. That's when you know you've moved on.

Darren
      Thanks Darren, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
      It say's you've quoted me but I can't see it

JessyAnn, just said thanks and I shall try and take your advice as I know its right, but moping is so easy right now!

ReputationRep:
      music.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeRkm...eature=related

ReputationRep:
      Trannies

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.