Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

get yourselves to TRAFALGAR SQUARE for 12:00 this tuesday Watch

ReputationRep:
    march against the cuts! fight for your future!

see you there

Duncan

ReputationRep:
    no?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be there, comrade! No ifs, no buts, no education cuts!!!1111one1!1

ReputationRep:
    I would but I have a phobia of being trampled to death by stampeding policeman on horses

ReputationRep:
    Desperate times, desparate measures...
    It's alright for the students who have ponies in their gardens but this is the real world and it's our duty to see to our rights.

Will all this protesting have an effect on the whole fee thing though? . . :dontknow: . .

No, stop polluting the streets.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by DancinBallerina)
        Will all this protesting have an effect on the whole fee thing though? . . :dontknow: . .
        its really hard to tell, seeing as all these students are acting immaturely on these protests destroying buildings, causing havoc. But, can't blame them, some of them really feel this is the only way they can express there feelings towards it.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by DancinBallerina)

sitting back and doing nothing will certainly have no effect

(Original post by mir3a)
          its really hard to tell, seeing as all these students are acting immaturely on these protests destroying buildings, causing havoc. But, can't blame them, some of them really feel this is the only way they can express there feelings towards it.
          Yea, the proposed fee increase I don't agree with. But with all these protests and etc, I really can't see it having a significant effect on the fee increase. :dontknow:. I could be wrong, and I'd like to think I am but I honestly can't see it changing.

Ah well, we shall see what becomes of it all . . .

(Original post by Duncan Idaho)
          sitting back and doing nothing will certainly have no effect
          But how do you know that destroying various things around Central London will make a difference?? . . I'd like to think it would, but honestly can't see it doing a thing.

ReputationRep:
          I just don't agree with the violence. Acting like animals will make people believe that you are therefore not taking you seriously.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Low Profile)
          Desperate times, desparate measures...
          It's alright for the students who have ponies in their gardens but this is the real world and it's our duty to see to our rights.
          you know that because of the proposed changes to the loans systems, low-earning graduates actually end up paying less than they did before?
          the main burden is taken on my the top 40% of earners, who actually end up paying all of their debt

given the above info, i'd say -
          if you really want to go to uni, you'll do it, regardless
          if not, there are literally thousands of equally bright people who would jump at the chance

ReputationRep:
          I suspect that these will become a fortnightly event... Teens have the time and the motivation to cause a ruckus, especially when it gains so much official backing and coverage!

ReputationRep:
          long story short, violence will eventually ensue, and everybody at the protest will be kept in place all day like sheep by the police. Make sure the wrap up warm and bring some soup.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by theths)
          you know that because of the proposed changes to the loans systems, low-earning graduates actually end up paying less than they did before?
          the main burden is taken on my the top 40% of earners, who actually end up paying all of their debt
          But have you realised that there's going to be £11bn in welfare cuts? no EMA? things for you to think about before you believe the political rhetoric that comes out of Cameron's mouth.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Low Profile)
          But have you realised that there's going to be £11bn in welfare cuts? no EMA? things for you to think about before you believe the political rhetoric that comes out of Cameron's mouth.
          that is completely unrelated to education cuts
          in fact, if there were no education cuts, there would probably be higher welfare cuts to make up for it

the money has to come from somewhere, and there are several good reasons for it coming from raising the cap on uni fees

and no, i'm not a tory. it just scares me that a massive proportion of the protesters don't actually know what they're on about

ReputationRep:
          Why should the hard-working plumber take more tax cuts to fund your education?

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't... just wondering if you could give me a reason. A lot of the time we tend to think in our best interests, not what's best for society as a whole

ReputationRep:
          I'd love to be there but some of us have lectures

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by dorian gray)
          I suspect that these will become a fortnightly event... Teens have the time and the motivation to cause a ruckus, especially when it gains so much official backing and coverage!

Good muisc taste, Sir!
          • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
          As soon as they or the unions manage to propose a well thought out cuts package and plan as to how uni funding can be fully subsidised as well as bringing in a number of cuts to deal with the deficit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.