Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggest a PSU Under £60 For The Following Specs? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Need some help with a PSU for the following specs: (not my machine)

CPU: E7400 [2.8Ghz 45nm] Overclocked to around 3.2Ghz+
    RAM: 4GB RAM 2 x 2GB DDR2 800Mhz
    MoB: MSI P7N-SLI 7380
    GPU: 9800GT
    HDD: 2 x 250GB Sata 7,200

A few things to note before suggesting... The owner MAY upgrade to the following specs:

CPU: Q6600 Overclocked 3.2Ghz
    GPU: Second 9800GT for SLI.

What PSU would you guys suggest for no more then £60 (including PnP) for both the specs above?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Corsair Builder series, Antec Basiq Power, Antec Earthwatts or Silverpower Sp-SS400(made by seasonic)

ReputationRep:
    I like my OCZ 600w stealthxstream has been great and is about £55.

ReputationRep:
    The Corsair TX 650W is probably the best you'll get for £60, and easily capable of handling two GPUs and an overclocked quad core.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrfantastic)
    Corsair Builder series, Antec Basiq Power, Antec Earthwatts or Silverpower Sp-SS400(made by seasonic)

(Original post by theronkinator)

(Original post by somebody else)
    The Corsair TX 650W is probably the best you'll get for £60, and easily capable of handling two GPUs and an overclocked quad core.
    Hmm, they all sound really good. The Corsair TX 650W sounds the sweetest to me. Any objections? Any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    What about something from this page (to the same standard of the TX)

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?page=4&...ehigh&limit=20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Yep got the same one, first psrt of my build but the rest never materialised sadly. Great PSU, my HDD's are louder than it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Can't go much wrong with a Corsair.

ReputationRep:
    I had the corsair 650W, upgraded to 750W for my new rig. It's still in my old rig at the moment though, haven't had any problems yet.

ReputationRep:
    I dont need to say it, but corsair is defiantly the way to go.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/i...viewId=3228373
    http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=916
    http://computers.toptenreviews.com/h...00-review.html
    http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-33964709.html
    http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/product...86nbc/33964709

ReputationRep:
    Just one warning with the corsairs, I have the 950W TX model and none of the TX series have modular cables. It'll be less of a problem with the 650W version but wire management is a nightmare in my PC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KissMyArtichoke)
    I had the corsair 650W, upgraded to 750W for my new rig. It's still in my old rig at the moment though, haven't had any problems yet.
    What are the specs of your old rig? Very important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marviee)
    What are the specs of your old rig? Very important
    intel core 2 quad
    3 GB RAM
    2x7500rpm HDD
    Sapphire radeon HD 4870 1GB

I have an x4 overclocked now at 3.8GHz and a second 4870 so i though it would be best to have some extra juice.

ReputationRep:
    intel core 2 quad
    3 GB RAM
    2x7500rpm HDD
    Sapphire radeon HD 4870 1GB

I have an x4 overclocked now at 3.8GHz and a second 4870 so i though it would be best to have some extra juice.
    You could easily run that on a 650W PSU.
    The two 4870s will maybe draw 300W peak, the phenom (I assume phenom?) should draw about 150W peak, and all other components in the system will maybe draw 30-45W at most.

The rig in my signature, when fully overclocked to 4.2Ghz and 950/1200 on the graphics card, only draws 480W, and at stock clocks draws under 300, running furmark and intel burn test simultaneously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    You could easily run that on a 650W PSU.
    The two 4870s will maybe draw 300W peak, the phenom (I assume phenom?) should draw about 150W peak, and all other components in the system will maybe draw 30-45W at most.

The rig in my signature, when fully overclocked to 4.2Ghz and 950/1200 on the graphics card, only draws 480W, and at stock clocks draws under 300, running furmark and intel burn test simultaneously.
    Yeah, but it's nice to have something future proof, plus it means i still have a complete rig to sell.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it's nice to have something future proof, plus it means i still have a complete rig to sell.
    I'm looking to buy a PC, if your looking to sell.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I just called him and he bought the TX650 a few hours ago. I guess that solves that Thanks for all the suggestions, and a special thanks to "somebody else" for finding the deal. :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.