Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking For Two Silent 120MM & 2 80MM Fans + Filters Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm on the lookout for a couple of silent, but cheepo fans. I was going to try ebay, but I changed my mind as the noise level from fans that cost 40p will not sound pretty. I actually have a couple of 80MM fans myself, but there not the fastest things in the world, and when they are, their pretty loud.

I've got around £10-£15 to spend on fans. I heard you could use pantihose as a cheap solution for filtering dust... Good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Avoid 80mm fans if space permits

Get the Yate Loon d12sl-12 120mm (the low speed Yate Loon 120mm fans). They've got pretty good air circulation for their noise (very quiet), and are cheap (but good).

and yes, the cheap method is pantyhose stretched over your fan. It works, but explaining to the girlfriend why she has none left is always interesting (protip: buy cheap stuff from a supermarket/primark etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Zenith)
    Avoid 80mm fans if space permits

Get the Yate Loon d12sl-12 120mm (the low speed Yate Loon 120mm fans). They've got pretty good air circulation for their noise (very quiet), and are cheap (but good).

and yes, the cheap method is pantyhose stretched over your fan. It works, but explaining to the girlfriend why she has none left is always interesting (protip: buy cheap stuff from a supermarket/primark etc)
    The case has two 80mm rear slots, one side 120mm? slot (for the GPU) and one on the front of the case, which is a definite 120mm. My idea was to have the side and the front blow air in using 120mm fans, and use the two 80mm slots to exhaust out.

Good to know I can use pantyhose, lol, I actually walked through a market today and saw a couple of packs for a quid. I'll probably use them.

Any ideas where I can find fans that are decent within the budget though? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marviee)
    Hey,

I'm on the lookout for a couple of silent, but cheepo fans. I was going to try ebay, but I changed my mind as the noise level from fans that cost 40p will not sound pretty. I actually have a couple of 80MM fans myself, but there not the fastest things in the world, and when they are, their pretty loud.

I've got around £10-£15 to spend on fans. I heard you could use pantihose as a cheap solution for filtering dust... Good idea?
    Get some scythe slipstreams (the 1200rpm ones are damn quiet for a start and still move an awful lot of air)
    Or if you must use filters, you'll find that a set of sharkoon fans will get air through the filter more effectively (it's due to the dimpled blades and their turbulent wake, but I really cba to explain).

You can get fans pretty cheap off amazon, also ebay can be quite decent if you're searching particular makes, but it's very hit and miss.

ReputationRep:
    Thought you were talking about guns :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    Thought you were talking about guns :P
    What makes you think I'm not?

ReputationRep:
    Try some Xigmatek 120mm fans or these Yate loons http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=41117, they're reasonably quiet and pretty cheap. Ofc, if you had £15 per fan I'd get Sharkoon Silent Eagles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrfantastic)
    Try some Xigmatek 120mm fans or these Yate loons http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=41117, they're reasonably quiet and pretty cheap. Ofc, if you had £15 per fan I'd get Sharkoon Silent Eagles.
    I just got 3 of them for £18.21 off amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    I just got 3 of them for £18.21 off amazon.
    Opps, I meant Sythe gentle typhoons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrfantastic)
    Yate loons... Alrighty then. I've added two of those to the basket. Total £11 including delivery. Is there anyway to select free delivery? Or combined delivery? Because I still need 2 more 80MM fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marviee)
    Yate loons... Alrighty then. I've added two of those to the basket. Total £11 including delivery. Is there anyway to select free delivery? Or combined delivery? Because I still need 2 more 80MM fans.
    I don't think so. Even if you have a account with free del enabled, it's min purchase(without del charge) of £20.

ReputationRep:
    28dBA is quite a lot for 47CFM of airflow.

If you want to go "silent" either of these would be better:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=40817

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=19866

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    28dBA is quite a lot for 47CFM of airflow.

If you want to go "silent" either of these would be better:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=40817

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=19866
    Never tried the Gelid Wing fans, heard that they have lacklustre static pressure.
    The Xilence fans were reviewed by Bi-tech a while back as:
    (Original post by Bit-Tech)
    Xilence Red Wing 120mm

UK price (at time of review): £6.84 (inc VAT)
    US price (at time of review): $9.99 (ex tax)
    The Xilence Red Wing spins at 1,400rpm and is rated to produce 68cfm at 21.2dBA. While our tests produced different results – an airflow reading of 52cfm and sound pressure reading of 28.6dBA – the Red Wing is still worth considering due to its reasonably powerful airflow and sub-30dBA sound pressure.
    I'm recommending Yate Loon's because I've never had a problem with the sound or airflow wise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.