Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, trying to cut a long story short. I broke up with my boyfriend of a year about three weeks ago now, things hadn't been going right for a while and I had know for about a month that things wouldn't last past the year. Accepting that took a little bit longer, I don't really like to give up.

This weekend past, I met up with an old fling of mines, we dated when we were 16 years old, it was all very naive and innocent at the time. I knew I had a crush on him a few weeks back, when I was still with my ex. I felt slight guilt for this, but emotions control you unfortunately.

Anyway, it turns out he really likes me. Quite a bit, and wouldn't mind giving it another go, we're both 22, going on 23. I told him I wasn't ready to have a proper relationship yet, but I do really like him so I saw nothing wrong with seeing how things progressed slowly. I told him that we could see how things went until New Year and then decide if we wanted to take it further.

However today when I was with friends one mentioned she thought this was a silly idea, and that if I was going to commit to him after New Year why not do it now, I got quite upset because she was suggesting I wasn't taking his feelings on board, although I had felt I had been as honest with the guy as I could.

I saw her point however, and mentioned to the guy in question what had happened, and was 100% straight with him, saying I didn't feel ready for a new relationship, that I needed time and I did really like him. He said he was willing to wait for me to work out what was going on in my head, as long as I remained honest with him.

Since then a few of my friends have told me to be cautious, I'm one of those girls who is very rarely single, I fall for people very easily and I'm worried this will become a rebound relationship.

Different friends have told me to go for it, your only young once etc. etc. and that in the grand scheme of things it's not a massive issue to be stressing over.

Just wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar situation or what you would do in this situation. I know at the end of the day it's my choice but I would love some feedback. x

ReputationRep:
    It might work, it might not, try meeting up, etc, rather than jumping into relationship/bed.

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you if anything happens here, it will be very very slowly done. I <3 your photo btw. Yum x

ReputationRep:
    You Slaaaaaaag...

ReputationRep:
    I did exactly, that, didnt work out. The only way you can know is to try..but

can you accept that if it goes badly the two of you may not be friends in the future?

If not wait, if its meant to happen then it will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AprilMay88)
    Hey, trying to cut a long story short. I broke up with my boyfriend of a year about three weeks ago now, things hadn't been going right for a while and I had know for about a month that things wouldn't last past the year. Accepting that took a little bit longer, I don't really like to give up.

This weekend past, I met up with an old fling of mines, we dated when we were 16 years old, it was all very naive and innocent at the time. I knew I had a crush on him a few weeks back, when I was still with my ex. I felt slight guilt for this, but emotions control you unfortunately.

Anyway, it turns out he really likes me. Quite a bit, and wouldn't mind giving it another go, we're both 22, going on 23. I told him I wasn't ready to have a proper relationship yet, but I do really like him so I saw nothing wrong with seeing how things progressed slowly. I told him that we could see how things went until New Year and then decide if we wanted to take it further.

However today when I was with friends one mentioned she thought this was a silly idea, and that if I was going to commit to him after New Year why not do it now, I got quite upset because she was suggesting I wasn't taking his feelings on board, although I had felt I had been as honest with the guy as I could.

I saw her point however, and mentioned to the guy in question what had happened, and was 100% straight with him, saying I didn't feel ready for a new relationship, that I needed time and I did really like him. He said he was willing to wait for me to work out what was going on in my head, as long as I remained honest with him.

Since then a few of my friends have told me to be cautious, I'm one of those girls who is very rarely single, I fall for people very easily and I'm worried this will become a rebound relationship.

Different friends have told me to go for it, your only young once etc. etc. and that in the grand scheme of things it's not a massive issue to be stressing over.

Just wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar situation or what you would do in this situation. I know at the end of the day it's my choice but I would love some feedback. x
    it never too soon to move on as long your heart is ready

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone say:
    REBOUND

If you like the guy, leave him alone.

(Original post by big-boss-91)
    it never too soon to move on as long your heart is ready
    Lol that's the biggest load of poetic **** I've read in a long time.
    It's far too soon for her to move on, get real. Desperation, naivety and confusion play a large part in someone's mind after they come out of a long relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Rebound. Don't do it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.