Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm thinking of applying for a SE or CS undergraduate course for next year.
    I've been doing some research by myself but I can't help but feeling overwhelmed and confused by this choice, so I ask you, hoping to find some advice on which university is better and why.

The areas I'm most interested in are Greater London, and Scotland.
    What are the ones with the best reputation?

I was intrigued by a sandwich Software Engineering course in Westminster, but now I'm not sure, as I've heard some not-very good things about that college..
    I'm definitively going to apply for Imperial College, this is one of the high risk choices, but I'm sure I can meet the entry requirements if I want.

What do you think?
    I'm keeping one option open for Scotland, because even if I get accepted in London I need to think about the debt I'm going to have to pay after college. Although I may afford the expenses, and I might get a scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh.
    Fantastic department and reputation, deliverying more world class research in Informatics than oxford and cambridge put nearly put together.

Edinburgh = 36.5
    oxford + cambridge = 39

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GerlandoSavio)
    Hi, I'm thinking of applying for a SE or CS undergraduate course for next year.
    I've been doing some research by myself but I can't help but feeling overwhelmed and confused by this choice, so I ask you, hoping to find some advice on which university is better and why.

The areas I'm most interested in are Greater London, and Scotland.
    What are the ones with the best reputation?

I was intrigued by a sandwich Software Engineering course in Westminster, but now I'm not sure, as I've heard some not-very good things about that college..
    I'm definitively going to apply for Imperial College, this is one of the high risk choices, but I'm sure I can meet the entry requirements if I want.

What do you think?
    I'm keeping one option open for Scotland, because even if I get accepted in London I need to think about the debt I'm going to have to pay after college. Although I may afford the expenses, and I might get a scholarship.
    What are your grades, predicted grades, etc. going to be, roughly?

(Original post by AshleyT)
    Edinburgh.
    Fantastic department and reputation, deliverying more world class research in Informatics than oxford and cambridge put nearly put together.

Edinburgh = 36.5
    oxford + cambridge = 39
    That really depends heavily on the league table / other sources you use.
    The ones I found ranked both Oxbridge universities a lot higher, and both individually with better research quality than Edinburgh.
    You really need to take all sources with a large pinch of salt, especially given that they are systematically incorrect, and don't publish their formulae for generating their scores.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol and Southampton are also very good.

ReputationRep:
    Went to Imperial and got the Tshirt - I can definately recommend it. Lots of work but worthwhile. Didnt do Computing though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    What are your grades, predicted grades, etc. going to be, roughly?

That really depends heavily on the league table / other sources you use.
    The ones I found ranked both Oxbridge universities a lot higher, and both individually with better research quality than Edinburgh.
    You really need to take all sources with a large pinch of salt, especially given that they are systematically incorrect, and don't publish their formulae for generating their scores.
    I'm well aware how to use the league tables, and i wasnt referring to those.

My facts were from the RAE research assessment. Aka, the raw data every table uses to determine research worth.

Edinburgh - 104.25 submitted. 35% world class. Volume = 36.5
    Oxford - 55 Submitted. 35% World class. Volume = 19.25
    Cambridge - 44 submitted. 45% World class. Volume = 19.8
    Manchester - 72 submitted. 30% World class. Volume = 21.6

Edinburgh produces twice as much world class research in informatics than oxford and cambridge. Fact.

Cambridge has 200 research staff and students. Edinburgh has 500. Due to this it has an entire 40million pound building specifically for Informatics research. And it's stunning and very high-tech let me add .

Edinburgh i believe was also one of the only universities to submit EVERYTHING they had. Rather then submitting less to fudge the percentages.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh seems rather interesting =) I think it'll be one of my five choices.
    My predicted grade in my Diploma goes from 92/100 to 98/100 (I can actually get up to 100/100, but I'd just rather keep it lower). I don't know if you're familiar with the Italian grading system but to be clear Imperial requires a 94/100, Westminster 85/100 (I'm not sure about this one).

What do you think about UCL? I'm thinking about add it to my high risk choices, and the Undergraduate Administrator thinks that they could be interested in seeing my application.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard nothing but good things about Southampton, take a look if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    If you apply this year the Scottish degree may still end up being more expensive. Half tuition fees but their degrees are a year longer so you end up paying more on maintenance - food, accomodation and the like.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.