Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

any smokers in the house? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So...is anyone a smoker? I am 19 years old and really trying to quit smoking... I am just about to apply for sussex uni and UCAS and everything is really stressing me out, smoking is the thing that can calm me down but i really hate it at the same time.

I'm really considering buying an electronic cigarette. I'm just reading up about them and they seem pretty cool. has anyone heard of them, is anyone else trying to quit?

ReputationRep:
    Try a book called, The Easyway to stop smoking by a man named Alan Carr. It worked for me x

ReputationRep:
    wow quick reply, never thought of reading a book to help me stop! thanks though, i'll look into it

ReputationRep:
    Currently got myself down to around 3-5 per day and undoubtedly more on the weekends which ain't quitting but better than where I was...Might spark up now seeing that I can't really sleep!
    Ah haaaaaah.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlujizeNNQM

ReputationRep:
    trying to stop. doesnt work out. then again, living with the mum right now, so have to hide and smoke, so its a bit crazy.
    bottom line, once we get into it, we're just stuck. and face it, it feels like heaven when it kicks. =)

who cares if we die 2 years earlier? atleast the other 68 years or so will be divine

ReputationRep:
    I do smoke... haven't had one since last Wednesday. I understand how people find them addictive but I am confident if I wanted to give up I could, I have one every 2 - 3 days... not exactly heavy.

ReputationRep:
    The Easyway book will work if you're easily influenced or smoke so little that you're not all that addicted. Otherwise it's just an insulting rant about how stupid you are for smoking.

I wouldn't waste your money.

Patches burn, gum makes you hungry, lozenges rot your teeth, inhalators prolong the pain and do nothing anyway, and e-cigs are full of chemical crap. Despite what they tell you, the solution is not 'just water'. People are also prone to overdose with them which you'll see if you google vaping/ecig chest pains/heart palpitations.

Set a date, warn everyone not to mention anything remotely associated with smoking should you decide to kill them, buy in supplies and go cold turkey. A few days of anger followed by a week or so of light headedness, trouble sleeping, two or three of minor discomfort, and by week four you'll have forgotten you ever smoked.

Good luck. If you make it, you'll feel like a kid again. Beats any nic kick.

Oh and the weight gain thing is a myth My appetite plummeted when I quit and the bathroom scales were a stone happier.

ReputationRep:
    just been doing some more research on e cigs and have found some quite interesting results. they do not use a water solution although there is some water involved. they use propylene glycol to create the vapour (used in fog machines) and it is generally recognized as safe by the FDA. i found some lab tests on e cigarettes from independent labs around the world and they all claim that e cigarettes are 100-1000x safer than cigarettes. I don't know where you found your information from but i would love to see it. anyway, thanks for the reply, but i think i'm going to go ahead and purchase one. if anyone wants to know how it goes let me know!

ReputationRep:
    I bought an e-cig. My one tastes gross, and the water vapour doesn't come out if you inhale, you just have to hold it in your mouth (like when you smoke a cigar) so I found that really unsatisfying.
    I quit for 9 weeks in Sept, but my mood really dipped, so I went back to the **** lol.
    (I smoke anything from 5-20 a day)

ReputationRep:
    one of my friends bought an e-cig and says its good, but he's in america so i haven't tested it yet.

everyone I know who has quit has worked down to a negligible amount and then cold turkeyed. seems like theoretically the best way. I still can't do it though lols

ReputationRep:
    cut down on the brown, you need the green

ReputationRep:
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm having one a day at the moment which is admittedly very little, although it doesn't make me proud having started again. Somebody I know who is attempting to stop smoking adores his new electronic cigarette and finds it just the same as tobacco, but I am still not sure what to make of the idea. It will do you less harm than ordinary smoking, but what such a device does for nicotine addiction is highly debatable.

I tried quitting for years, I think my longest stint was about 3 months. I found out in August that I had cervical cancer and that my smoking not only probably enouraged its development, but that smoking (even sparingly or "casually") has such a profound effect on cancerous tissue that they may have caught it at an earlier stage had I not smoked (it's supposed to as much a double cancer's growth rate). I'm only 26 and obviously had no idea I had cancer all that time. It's not only cost me my health, but may very well have cost me my fertility too.

Bit of a wake-up call, that. I haven't smoked since, and I'll never smoke again.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. But my neighbour's puffs travel into my bedroom through the window.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft no smoking in THIS house! Take it outside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alt__x)
    I can't see myself ever getting addicted. I have never smoked more than five a day, and I know that if i did decide one day to never smoke again I could easily do it. I don't see the harm in the odd cigarette, it might take like one year off my life oh big woop.
    I think that was the original mentality of about 90% of people that started smoking. Myself included.

i can quit smokin because i dnt smoke at home and in the summer thats like 3 months but i find it hard to be motivated when im at uni, i like smoking when im walking to make it more fun, i like smoking when ive eaten for some reason i crave it then, and i like a morning fag when you get abit of a buzz from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredCassman)
    So...is anyone a smoker? I am 19 years old and really trying to quit smoking... I am just about to apply for sussex uni and UCAS and everything is really stressing me out, smoking is the thing that can calm me down but i really hate it at the same time.

I'm really considering buying an electronic cigarette. I'm just reading up about them and they seem pretty cool. has anyone heard of them, is anyone else trying to quit?
    Firstly: Good choice of uni with Sussex

Secondly: The absolute best way to stop smoking is to just man up, and not smoke at all.

This is probably better to do when you're not under any stress. I personally found that not going out drinking for about 2 weeks or so really helped.

Some people say it's best to cut down (I would occasionally smoke half a cigarette), though I read somewhere it takes around 6 weeks to get over cravings altogether and every cig you have resets the whole process.

Good luck

(All this talk of smoking has given me a huge craving... ><)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.