Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What age did you move in with your SO? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have been going out for just over a year, and come the end of this year we were thinking of getting a flat together as I am a year behind most of my friends who will be graduating, and he is about to sell his house, it seems like the most logical step to take. I will be 22 then. However when I mentioned it to my mum she freaked out and said I was too young and it will be bad for uni and stuff.

If you guys are living with your significant other, how long had you been going out for at the time, and how old were you? Did it really change anything at all??

ReputationRep:
    Well, my boyfriend stayed in my house over the summer. I know that's not exactly the same thing, but it meant that we did live together for 4 months. I'm 20, he was 22.
    I personally don't think age is all that relevant. It has more to do with whether you think that the relationship is stable and that such a commitment is a good idea.

General living together advice: no matter how much you love someone, being with them all day every day puts a strain on the relationship. Make sure you do things separately and give each other space.

ReputationRep:
    i'd just turnt 21
    i agree that i dont think age is really whats important. every relationship is different and only you know when you're ready.
    it is a shock though, i pretty much lived with my boyfriend anyway (we stayed at each others houses at least six days a week) and still actually moving in together was a complete change. it does put a strain on even the strongest relationships, but at the same time it is so nice to come home to him everyday.
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Age doesn't really have much to do with it, as has been said. My girlfriend and I moved in together when I was 18. I'm 20 now, and still feel extremely comfortable. My situation might be different from yours since I'm currently in China, but next year providing everything goes fine, we'll both be coming to the UK for uni.

I also agree that living together can sometimes strain the relationship a little - mostly because you see each other every day and do things together all the time at home. It's not quite the same as being apart and finding as many chances as you can to be together; it's exciting at first but might feel boring sometime later. This depends entirely on the person though. I feel fine with most of my time and space shared with her, but you and your SO might prefer your personal space more, so make sure you give each other space sometimes as Bluefare said.

I actually think the only way it has a negative impact is if you're not used to living together - i.e. if you started your relationship living seperately, which I presume is true for most relationships. My girlfriend and I started our relationship as long distance between the UK and China, and the day I arrived in China we moved into the same place. We've never had discomfort with that or any sort of shock, because we've never lived in different addresses before whilst being physically together. That's the reason why we instantly settled into living together and felt very comfortable - there was no change or strain to put up with in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that age isn't a deciding factor I would have thought of, only he is 29 and I almost 22, so for my parents it is a bit of an issue. The thing is I stayed with him for most of the summer, and I stay at his house quite often during the week, and even do uni work at his house so it's not like I am going into it blind. I won't get to that point and be like "O this has always been a getaway before but now it's just life", I am prepared for that!

I know we are both ready, we so want somewhere we can just be us, at the min he lives in his own house with his brother and a friend and I live on the other side of the city sharing with friends, in a room with a single bed, so when we want to stay somewhere it always has to be his, and it can be hard to find time to ourselves. We do share most of our friends and stuff though and are always texting and stuff, we practically live in eachothers pockets anyway! The only problem atm is finding a way to convince my parents it the right decision, as I will not be able to live anywhere without their support!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is of any use to you but what the heck, may aswell mention it. Youtube CTFxC , it's this couple who make a video everyday of their lives. The girl is 21, still at Uni and the guy is 27, graduated. Get to see there everyday stuff... and they are engaged, their parents seem cool with it. Just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Me and my boyfriend live together during term time with my 2 other friends. I don't think I would properly move in with him while I'm still at uni though, just in case we did break up - not that I think we will, but it makes things complicated. If we broke up now he would just move back home and I would have my room here.

But other than that it works well, and it's useful having someone else there to cook and things if you're stressed with work

ReputationRep:
    Hehe to be honest I get annoyed with him not cleaning his own house anyway, so I am used to nagging him and he is used to being nagged, I don't think if we had a place together it would be very different! In fact if it was a place we shared I think I would get annoyed with him less as I refuse to clean his house for him, if we are sharing it I can at least keep it half tidy!

How long had you guys been going out with your other half when you moved in together? Did any of your parents make much of a fuss? I think mine are being pretty old fashioned, is something many people have had to work out with their parents??

ReputationRep:
    I was almost 21, he had turned 20 a few months before. We'd been together for over 3 years and would've moved out sooner if I had a permanent job but I didn't feel financially secure enough when temping. No arguments, no real problems...it's all good. My parents were happy for me, they both knew that as soon as I moved home after dropping out of uni I was basically counting down the seconds until I could move out again, haha. And I'd spoken to my mom about moving out with my boyfriend for like 2 years before we did so it was hardly a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    I was just turned 22 and had only been with him for 4 months. I was spending all my time at his and the flat I was renting was being sold. I didn't want to move back in with my parents really but was going to do it then he suggested moving in with him. I thought it was too early but the reluctance to move in with my parents swung it. I know, romantic huh. I don't think age has anything to do with it, neither does how your parents feel. If you won't be scrounging money off them to pay for it then hwo they feel is irrelevant imo, although obv would be nice if they were supportive. Strangely enough my parents weren't really that bothered I was moving in with him, considering we had only been together for 4 months and he was 15 years older than me!
    Sure, when you move in you have all the coupley arguments, who didn't wash up, who left wet towels on the bathroom floor, whose turn it is to put the bins out etc that you don't have when you don't live together but those are inevitable whether you've been together 2 weeks or 20 years. If you and your SO are both happy to move in together, go for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.