Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting someone's number in a club...is there any unwritten rules? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went out on a Friday night with my mates and we were dancing away and this guy came up behind me and we were dancing. I was on my way out so he asked me for my number and I gave it to him, he miss called me so I could save his.

Is there anything that like people sort of think or follow? For example, you should wait 3 days before texting them, or the wait for the guy to text you first etc.

update: well guys I decided to screw the rules and ignore the guys should text first thing, I thought why can't a girl text first so I did...

I've got no reply in 24hours so that's a no go. But I don't mind at least I know now what it's like haha because that's the first time I've ever given my number out in a club.

ReputationRep:
    the guy should text you first.
    tbh i would prefer to exchange facebook id number though LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redkicker)
    the guy should text you first.
    tbh i would prefer to exchange facebook id number though LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    This was a slightly credible post up to the last word.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the guy would care to be honest. He'd be ****ing delighted if he looked on his phone and discovered a text from you [obviously that is if it wasn't one of those "I really shouldn't have, I was so ****ing pissed" moments..]

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really a time to wait. Just do it when you think the time is right. Not too late like a month after because chances are he won't remember you, and not straight after like on the way home in the cab.

I would say anything up to a week of meeting in that club. I personally would wait for the guy to text first, but then again, it's up to you!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think guys care, my flat mate has all these weird made up rules and me and the other guy just think it's crazy, like you can't send a text till you get a reply, if you are texting you have to wait 15 minutes before sending a reply (wtf all that does is disrupts the conversation), she meets up with this guy weekly and they go on dates, have met about 10 times so far, but they're not going out because he hasn't officially asked. I just think it's really weird and a bit crazy tbh.

Although if he asked for your number I would have expected him to contact you, but it can't hurt to text him first, he won't care.

ReputationRep:
    It's usually a fairly pointless exercise, more than 75% of the time the person wont bother texting.

ReputationRep:
    What's with all the silly rules, do what you feel like doing!

ReputationRep:
    Text him if you like him, although i'd be wary - sometimes us guys have a completion as to who can get the most numbers ..doesnt mean we'll call :/

ReputationRep:
    if he doesnt text then text him asking him if he had a good night? if he doest text back it doest really matter, doesnt have a clue who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    It's usually a fairly pointless exercise, more than 75% of the time the person wont bother texting.
    really? every person who i have given my number to on a night out has always text me :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiejade-x)
    really? every person who i have given my number to on a night out has always text me :yep:
    I guess the onus is probably on the guy to text first though and I usually don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    I guess the onus is probably on the guy to text first though and I usually don't.
    i see :holmes:
    tbh i can't remember if i text any of the guys first initially, but as i usually text them etc for a few weeks afterwards, i'd sometimes initiate a new convo with them as they would with me :yes: i still text a guy who i met nearly 3 months ago, i moved to uni a couple of weeks after we first met, i've not seen him since a couple of days before i moved away, i won't see him til i go back for christmas :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Anybody seen the Vince Vaughn film Swingers? If somebody brought that up right now it would be so relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    I don't think guys care, my flat mate has all these weird made up rules and me and the other guy just think it's crazy, like you can't send a text till you get a reply, if you are texting you have to wait 15 minutes before sending a reply (wtf all that does is disrupts the conversation), she meets up with this guy weekly and they go on dates, have met about 10 times so far, but they're not going out because he hasn't officially asked. I just think it's really weird and a bit crazy tbh.

Although if he asked for your number I would have expected him to contact you, but it can't hurt to text him first, he won't care.
    I'm not surprised some people stick to rules like this in the climate today where everyone is encouraged to break down the barriers and **** like there's no tomorrow.

Lots of guys are used to sending the text first so I should wait one to two sleeps. If he doesn't text you he's either shy or not bothered. Then you take the initiative and send a text. But if you noted anything about the guy's personality that makes you think a different way would be effective go ahead and go with your gut.

ReputationRep:
    rules are stupid. be cool

ReputationRep:
    when it feels right for you.....

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice people there is an update in my first post if anyone wanted to know what I did

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.