Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok , So am self-studying AS Biology and Chemistry.
    I have the Endorsed edexcel textbooks this one http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...iveBookCD.aspx

but basically I need something that'll help me understand the concept somehing that are not so in depth so am wondering which revesion guide do you recommend ?
    The cgp one or this one http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleg...sionGuide.aspx

ReputationRep:
    By the way what is snab and what is the difference between it and the regular specification from edexcel's website ?

ReputationRep:
    probably the other one, CGP books are brilliant for last minute revision to help you not fail, but they're not likely to get you an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    probably the other one, CGP books are brilliant for last minute revision to help you not fail, but they're not likely to get you an A
    Yes,
    you are correct but I will not completely rely on the revision guide itself
    I'll be using the main textbook too to fill in the gaps but as you know it is harder to understand the concepts from a detailed textbook.
    Therefore, I need a book that explains the concepts in a easier way to understand from since am self studying the subjects and have no one explain things to me.

ReputationRep:
    CGP revision guide or Edexcel revision guide ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Private)
    Yes,
    you are correct but I will not completely rely on the revision guide itself
    I'll be using the main textbook too to fill in the gaps but as you know it is harder to understand the concepts from a detailed textbook.
    Therefore, I need a book that explains the concepts in a easier way to understand from since am self studying the subjects and have no one explain things to me.
    if you're self studying i'd advise against the CGP books at first, to be honest. print out the syllabus and make notes from the textbook on every point. that way you'll definitely know everything you need to.
    then, once you've learnt the material in-depth use a CGP revision guide just to make sure you know everything.

ReputationRep:
    if you're self studying i'd advise against the CGP books at first, to be honest. print out the syllabus and make notes from the textbook on every point. that way you'll definitely know everything you need to.
    then, once you've learnt the material in-depth use a CGP revision guide just to make sure you know everything.
    Thanks!
    +rep

ReputationRep:
    I am up more opinions.

ReputationRep:
    I am up more opinions.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    They got me an A. I think CGP are really good. But then I had a CGP revision guide that was specifically for exam board I was doing (AQA).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    They got me an A. I think CGP are really good. But then I had a CGP revision guide that was specifically for exam board I was doing (AQA).
    Same for me. It was the only thing I used for AS Chemistry and I got about 90%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly93)
    Same for me. It was the only thing I used for AS Chemistry and I got about 90%.
    May I ask which board you did ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Private)
    May I ask which board you did ?
    Edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel Chem CGP guides for Alevel are amazing. They have practice ques along with it, and helps you develop ur knowledge. Go for it.

Good Luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    Both are good but tbhI disagree
    After doing exam papers ,I woke up to see that A LOT of stuff in the SNAB orange book is not needed ie.it has stuff included with bold words that you re supposed to know... but these points do NOT occur in the specification.eg.apolipoproteins
    I think CGP is good as it is clear & has graph analysis tips.So far there was only 1 thing that I saw was missing from the CGP book (causal link between CVD and cholesterol)The Edexcel guide misses some points or is very brief in some specification pts eg.energy balance
    .In the textbook they don t outline clearly carbohydrates,with structure & function.
    I don t have access to the online SNAB resources which are supposed to fill in some parts of the specification.
    I could be wrong though...
    I hope I haven t confused you...

ReputationRep:
    btw do you have the answers to the green AS book?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.