Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Or does the pooling happen for the people successful for interview?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bounce7)
    Or does the pooling happen for the people successful for interview?
    You need to distinguish between reallocation, which happens before interviews (being assigned a different college because the college you originally applied to was massively oversubscribed for your subject) and pooling, which happens during or after interviews (not being among your college's top choices and consequently having your application passed on to other colleges, which may or may not decide to make you an offer in the end).
    If someone is rejected before interviews, though, that means they're out of the application process, so they can no longer be pooled.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, does that mean we still have a chance after rejection from an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    You mean in terms of being picked by another college through pooling? Yes. I got re-allocated for interview so if that is anything to go by, you would be contacted by both colleges, or at least the one offering a place.

If your college informs you that you have been rejected after the interview, then no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    If someone is rejected before interviews, though, that means they're out of the application process, so they can no longer be pooled.
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    Yes. I got re-allocated for interview
    This was about if you've already received a rejection. You can be re-allocated yes, but I take it you never received correspondance saying you've been declined a space at oxford? If you've been officially rejected that is the end of your application.

EDIT: i think maybe you mean after interview, whereas i thought the person you quoted meant pre-interview rejection?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's not about chances anymore at that point. After interviews there are basically four possible outcomes:
    1. You get a letter from the college you applied to, saying you have an offer.
    2. You get a letter from the college you applied to, saying they can't offer you a place and you won't be hearing from any other colleges (i.e. you've been rejected after interviews).
    3. You get two letters, one from the college you applied to, saying they can't offer you a place but they trust another college will give you an offer soon, and one from another college, saying you have an offer (i.e. you've been pooled to another college). And just to make things that bit more confusing, the former letter may arrive after the latter, or not at all.
    4. You get a letter from the college you applied to, saying they're giving you an open offer (i.e. you may end up pretty much anywhere, and you won't find out until results day, because then they'll know which colleges still have places to fill for your subjects).

So if you receive a proper rejection letter, that is one which doesn't contain the 'I believe another college is about to give you an offer soon' bit, that's it. And if your letter does contain that phrase, you will get an offer, just not from that college. It's all pretty straightforward.

I just noticed that you're not actually applying to Oxford, though. Could it be that you didn't realise which forum this thread was in?:confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_silicon)
    I got a rejection letter for interview from the college I choose originally. Is this the end of my application to Oxford University? Will I still get another interview from other college?
    What's the exact wording?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_silicon)
    'I am afraid your application is no longer under consideration by this College or any of the other Oxford Colleges. I realise this will be a disappointment to you, but wish you well in the future. A letter will be sent to you shortly.'
    That's a rejection, I'm afraid.
    But how do they know that i was rejected by the other college? or does it mean my personal information has not been send to the other college??
    The latter. In order for your application to be considered by other colleges, it would have to have been forwarded to them by the college you applied to, and that didn't happen. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    That's a rejection, I'm afraid.

The latter. In order for your application to be considered by other colleges, it would have to have been forwarded to them by the college you applied to, and that didn't happen. Sorry.
    Thanks, I am over it already. I am applying to Biochemistry and I found that the percentage of being shortlisted is quite high, about 98% last year. I am so unlucky...

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, why haven't they rejected us on UCAS though if we are rejected? Because I got the same letter as the person above, but no email, and nothing changed on my UCAS form

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, why haven't they rejected us on UCAS though if we are rejected? Because I got the same letter as the person above, but no email, and nothing changed on my UCAS form
    It takes long for them.

I know it's hard for you to accept you have been rejected, but - life goes on, you will probably get an offer from somewhere else and, finally, Oxford is not the be all and end all. or If you are sure you can improve, you can reapply the next year.

ReputationRep:
    Generally they don't update until March-April time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    It takes long for them.

I know it's hard for you to accept you have been rejected, but - life goes on, you will probably get an offer from somewhere else and, finally, Oxford is not the be all and end all. or If you are sure you can improve, you can reapply the next year.
    Do you know something about reapplying in the second year as a transfer student? What qualification should I use at that time? A-level grades again?

ReputationRep:
    It's not about chances anymore at that point. After interviews there are basically four possible outcomes:
    1. You get a letter from the college you applied to, saying you have an offer.
    2. You get a letter from the college you applied to, saying they can't offer you a place and you won't be hearing from any other colleges (i.e. you've been rejected after interviews).
    3. You get two letters, one from the college you applied to, saying they can't offer you a place but they trust another college will give you an offer soon, and one from another college, saying you have an offer (i.e. you've been pooled to another college). And just to make things that bit more confusing, the former letter may arrive after the latter, or not at all.
    4. You get a letter from the college you applied to, saying they're giving you an open offer (i.e. you may end up pretty much anywhere, and you won't find out until results day, because then they'll know which colleges still have places to fill for your subjects).

So if you receive a proper rejection letter, that is one which doesn't contain the 'I believe another college is about to give you an offer soon' bit, that's it. And if your letter does contain that phrase, you will get an offer, just not from that college. It's all pretty straightforward.

I just noticed that you're not actually applying to Oxford, though. Could it be that you didn't realise which forum this thread was in?:confused:
    Yeah.. it just came up in recommended threads, my bad ^^' .

ReputationRep:
    You need to distinguish between reallocation, which happens before interviews (being assigned a different college because the college you originally applied to was massively oversubscribed for your subject) and pooling, which happens during or after interviews (not being among your college's top choices and consequently having your application passed on to other colleges, which may or may not decide to make you an offer in the end).
    Is it possible to be given an offer from another college even if you weren't pooled there for interviews? Is this an open offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spekstaa)
    Is it possible to be given an offer from another college even if you weren't pooled there for interviews? Is this an open offer?
    Open offers are rare. However if you get one your first college will let you know about it. Basically it means that if you meet your offer you're guaranteed a place at Oxford, only the college you'll finally end up in will be one which has places left after some people missed their offers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spekstaa)
    No, an open offer is an offer which doesn't say which college you'll end up at. An open offer essentially means you'll be sent to whichever college happens to have a place to spare because someone missed or turned down his offer. If none of them has a place to spare, you'll be sent to the college which gave you the open offer. Some subjects don't seem to give open offers at all, but or others (like medicine) it seems to be quite common.

ReputationRep:
    Let me start this post by wishing all Oxford applicant's the very best of luck . As you may guess from my username I am the parent of a candidate: i'm sure not the only one fretting at least as much their child to hear the decision

I have been searching, but cant find an answer to this :

The Oxford site states that all applicants for Mathematics are interviewed by at least one further college to the one applied to. This is apparently different from some other subjects.

Is this second college just a random pick to pass notes back to the primary college and not, by association specifically involved in any subsequent pooling activity that might take place?

Or if not selected by the original college, is it then this second college that is invited to consider the candidate within pooling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Confused Parent)
    Let me start this post by wishing all Oxford applicant's the very best of luck . As you may guess from my username I am the parent of a candidate: i'm sure not the only one fretting at least as much their child to hear the decision

I have been searching, but cant find an answer to this :

The Oxford site states that all applicants for Mathematics are interviewed by at least one further college to the one applied to. This is apparently different from some other subjects.

Is this second college just a random pick to pass notes back to the primary college and not, by association specifically involved in any subsequent pooling activity that might take place?

Or if not selected by the original college, is it then this second college that is invited to consider the candidate within pooling?
    [snipped] Someone Mathsy turned up!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.