Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This is my first post after reading some threads on here. I am 19, and have recently dropped out of an apprenticeship with BT due to them putting me on the wrong apprenticeship (sounds silly I know, but the apprenticeship manager even admitted the recruitment process is currently broken), I am now stuck with some difficult choices.

After dropping out of the apprenticeship, my inital reaction was to do a course focused on something I liked doing, and I found the Interactive Media course really inviting, seeing as I love being at my computer and I like to dabble with creative things on it. However, it turned out that this course was full and closed, so after another wek of being completely stranded, I just rang up the college again.

With little art background, not even Art GCSE, I managed to enroll really late (6 weeks) onto a BTEC Graphic & 3D Level 3 National Diploma course. I did this purely because there was a slight creative overlap with this subject and the Interactive Media course. Anyway, I have found myself really lost not having done art, being 6 weeks behind and now having a bout of illness that has kept me off for this past week and a half. My confidence is really low (possibly due to my parents splitting up just before my GCSEs and me never really dealing with it emotionally) and I don't feel like I can catch up on this now, nor do I think that my heart is really in it after being in the lessons, so I don't want to complete something this important half-heartedly and then regret not doing something else.

Previous to this, my first year after GCSEs I went to a college and picked the wrong A Level choices so I dropped out, then I completed my AS Level year at a different college with different choices, but low confidence and a fairly hefty spell of shingles left me lost and I decided to pull out of the A2 year there.

I know that if I went to Uni, which is a prospect I barely used to consider but now seriously looking at, then I would want to become a teacher - my mum used to be a childminder, I loved being around the kids and I know that I'd be good working with them because when I did my work experience, I did it at my primary school and enjoyed it.

Admittedly, I have found the work in the AS/A2 Level course I did not very demanding so to speak, but just that I wasn't motivated to do it and I am aware that this year I will have to do something about that - I think possibly seeking counselling about my parents bitter divorce and sourcing the reason for losing motivation from that point is a high priority.

Anyway, I didn't know what would be the best choice for me to go for now... I have seen the Access course for Teaching and that does look interesting - I have a part time job, I still live at home with my mum and I could definitely fit the hours in (providing I can motivate myself). I also like the sound of getting more help from the tutors, being around older, more mature people (I got on with more mature people a LOT better) and being taught how to effectively write - something I felt slightly lost at before and something I think could help with rebuilding my confidence and ability to work. I feel that me going back for A Levels / completing my previous AS Levels may be a bit daunting at this age and just wanted some input on the matter and could possibly put quite a bit of strain on mine / my mum's finances.

Any help or input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Sorry, it was a little long so I skimmed. Do you have the relevant GCSEs to be a primary school teacher? (C+ in Maths, Science and English).
    The Access course is great preparation for University - well, Im not at uni yet, but I do feel like Ive come a long way since I started my Access course last year.
    You must be ready to explain what you have been doing etc in your personal statement when you apply to university and you also need relelvant work experience/voluntary experience within 12 months of applying for a teaching degree.
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    Hi jeffercake,

Yeah, at GCSE I have an A in Maths, A* in English Language, B in English Literature and 2 C's in Science.

I'm interested to know what Access course you're doing and what you would consider the work load to be like?

I have been considering applying for an unofficial teaching assistant role for experience and I understand that the Access course can help in regards to a personal statement so I think I could be alright on that front...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabearrr)
    Hi,

This is my first post after reading some threads on here. I am 19, and have recently dropped out of an apprenticeship with BT due to them putting me on the wrong apprenticeship (sounds silly I know, but the apprenticeship manager even admitted the recruitment process is currently broken), I am now stuck with some difficult choices.

After dropping out of the apprenticeship, my inital reaction was to do a course focused on something I liked doing, and I found the Interactive Media course really inviting, seeing as I love being at my computer and I like to dabble with creative things on it. However, it turned out that this course was full and closed, so after another wek of being completely stranded, I just rang up the college again.

With little art background, not even Art GCSE, I managed to enroll really late (6 weeks) onto a BTEC Graphic & 3D Level 3 National Diploma course. I did this purely because there was a slight creative overlap with this subject and the Interactive Media course. Anyway, I have found myself really lost not having done art, being 6 weeks behind and now having a bout of illness that has kept me off for this past week and a half. My confidence is really low (possibly due to my parents splitting up just before my GCSEs and me never really dealing with it emotionally) and I don't feel like I can catch up on this now, nor do I think that my heart is really in it after being in the lessons, so I don't want to complete something this important half-heartedly and then regret not doing something else.

Previous to this, my first year after GCSEs I went to a college and picked the wrong A Level choices so I dropped out, then I completed my AS Level year at a different college with different choices, but low confidence and a fairly hefty spell of shingles left me lost and I decided to pull out of the A2 year there.

I know that if I went to Uni, which is a prospect I barely used to consider but now seriously looking at, then I would want to become a teacher - my mum used to be a childminder, I loved being around the kids and I know that I'd be good working with them because when I did my work experience, I did it at my primary school and enjoyed it.

Admittedly, I have found the work in the AS/A2 Level course I did not very demanding so to speak, but just that I wasn't motivated to do it and I am aware that this year I will have to do something about that - I think possibly seeking counselling about my parents bitter divorce and sourcing the reason for losing motivation from that point is a high priority.

Anyway, I didn't know what would be the best choice for me to go for now... I have seen the Access course for Teaching and that does look interesting - I have a part time job, I still live at home with my mum and I could definitely fit the hours in (providing I can motivate myself). I also like the sound of getting more help from the tutors, being around older, more mature people (I got on with more mature people a LOT better) and being taught how to effectively write - something I felt slightly lost at before and something I think could help with rebuilding my confidence and ability to work. I feel that me going back for A Levels / completing my previous AS Levels may be a bit daunting at this age and just wanted some input on the matter and could possibly put quite a bit of strain on mine / my mum's finances.

Any help or input at all would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Hi Pandabearrr
    from what i can remember of the Access to teaching courses they did at some point organised a small teaching placement.I am taking a few years ago now and everyone i knew who did this course did get places on a teaching degree.I cant speak for the access to teaching courses now as you are aware they have been all real organised and re-evaluated and all access to he courses are now diplomas and offer grading ie pass,merit,distinction
    I think u too late to get on a Access to He diploma this year,but next year u might be able to as long as you apply now for 2011 entry at a college near u that offers the access course u want to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.