Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Public School Boys Dress Codes/Uniforms Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am writing an article for an american magazine about British public school boys' dress codes/uniforms and i just wanted to get some more information from various different schools - so if you went to a boarding/public school then could you help me with this thread by answering these quick questions? thanks a lot!

1. what was your dress code / uniform in the sixth form? (briefly)
    2. when did you have to wear it and when could you wear casual clothes?
    3. was there a half way between uniform and casual - for example summer dress down or some sort of formal change rule, eg for being taken out by other people's parents for dinner, or some trip at the weekend?

For example, to get the ball rolling - I went to a quite well known public school in the north of England. Weekdays, Saturday mornings for lessons and Sunday evenings we had to wear jackets, ties, smart trousers and shoes although there was no uniform as such. Sundays until 4pm within school - and any time you left school but were still representing it (eg playing an away match, going for uni interview) you had to be in a full suit, with a white shirt and black shoes. Saturdays afternoon and evenings (unless on an away match) you could dress casual but nothing ripped or dirty.

We had summer dress down - but it was only allowed when it was warm weather - so (it being the north!) only about 3 weeks of the year! You could take off your tie and jacket and just wear a shirt and trousers - but it didn't apply on Sundays no matter what the weather.

There was no formal change rule as such - as there was no dress code, and you could be casually dressed if taken out on Saturday nights or something, but if you were taken out on Sunday you had to stay in your suit even if away from the school - a rule we absolutely hated and did our best to avoid and was pretty hard to enforce to be honest.

Many thanks if you respond, you'd be doing me a huge favour with the article! You don't need to mention what school u went to - just roughly where in the country it was.

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    jack wills

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private day sixth form in Cambridge..We had a similar dress code in sixth form boys had to wear suits though. It was mostly a day school but we were in school Saturday mornings and we had to wear suits again then, also when you had a match. In summer you could take off suit jacket and tie but not if you were going outside school grounds. Yeah we had to wear our suits for uni interviews and trips away from school which sometimes made us feel like b&llends.. but I spose it teaches u how to dress well! I preferred it to wearing a uniform I think having a dress code in sixth form is a better idea.

Sounds like you had it quite strict though can’t imagine having to wear smart clothes on weekend though I can’t believe the sch could actually enforce that!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.