The Student Room Group

Series and convergence

Hi

I'm utterly stumped by this:

Find the exact range of x for which the sum to infinity (from n = 1) of (x^n)/( (4^n)n) converges.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by *Georgine*
Hi

I'm utterly stumped by this:

Find the exact range of x for which the sum to infinity (from n = 1) of (x^n)/( (4^n)n) converges.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance :smile:

If you have s serioes of
n=1an(xA)n\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}a_n(x-A)^n
then the radius of convergence (R) around 'A' is
1R=limnann\frac{1}{R}=lim_{n \to \infty}\sqrt[n]{a_n}
In your example A=0, At the limit you can use any criteria of convergence,
for example the ratio of an+1an\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}
Note that limnnn=1lim_{n \to \infty}\sqrt[n]{n}=1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ztibor
If you have s serioes of
n=1an(xA)n\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}a_n(x-A)^n
then the radius of convergence (R) around 'A' is
1R=limnann\frac{1}{R}=lim_{n \to \infty}\sqrt[n]{a_n}
In your example A=0, At the limit you can use any criteria of convergence,
for example the ratio of an+1an\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}
Note that limnnn=1lim_{n \to \infty}\sqrt[n]{n}=1

I really do not understand this. How does the ratio give me the exact values of x? And what would be the a (little n) in my case?
You are considering n=1an \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n , with an=xn4nn a_n = \frac{x^n}{4^n n} .

By the ratio test:

- if limnan+1an<1 \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right| < 1 then the series converges.

- if limnan+1an>1 \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right| > 1 then the series diverges.

- if limnan+1an=1 \displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right| = 1 , then you can't tell anything and need to examine this case separately.

Use the first bullet point to find what range x has to be in to make the ratio less than 1 - you know that the series converges for all x in this range.

Then examine the case where the ratio = 1 directly i.e. find the value of x that makes the ratio 1, and see if you think the series converges/diverges for this particular value of x.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Daniel Freedman
Then examine the case where the ratio = 1 directly i.e. find the value of x that makes the ratio 1, and see if you think the series converges/diverges for this particular value of x.

Given that there were no restrictions on where x lies, I would say 'values of x that make the ratio 1'.
Original post by ljfrugn
Given that there were no restrictions on where x lies, I would say 'values of x that make the ratio 1'.

Indeed. Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by *Georgine*
I really do not understand this. How does the ratio give me the exact values of x? And what would be the a (little n) in my case?

Not the ratio gives but the limit of ratio does a value which maybe finite or infinite or even 0. This value is the reciprotial of R radius,
For example if the limit is L then
R=1L\displaystyle R=\frac{1}{L}
and the series will convergent if
x[AR,A+R]x \in [A-R, A+R]
For your example:
n=1xn4nn\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} \frac{x^n}{4^n \cdot n}
so
an=14nn\displaystyle a_n=\frac{1}{4^n \cdot n}
With the nth root test
1R=limn14nnn=limn14nn=14\displaystyle \frac{1}{R}=lim_{n \to \infty}\sqrt[n]{\frac{1}{4^n \cdot n}}=lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{4 \cdot \sqrt[n]{n}}=\frac{1}{4}
with the ratio
1R=limn14n+1(n+1)4nn1=limn4nn44n(n+1)=\displaystyle \frac{1}{R}=lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{4^{n+1} \cdot (n+1)} \cdot \frac{4^n \cdot n}{1}=lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{4^n \cdot n}{4\cdot 4^n \cdot (n+1)}=
=limn14(1+1n)=14\displaystyle =lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{1}{4 \cdot (1+\frac{1}{n})}=\frac{1}{4}

Calculating the limit with R you will get the range of convergence and consider A=0 (convergence around zero)
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest