Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can pale skin pull off dark hair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been blonde all my life. I've dyed my hair many times and it's now a few different shades of blonde and looks a bit brassy. It's so expensive to maintain too, and never looks healthy or glossy.

I've been thinking about having it dyed brunette for a while, but am unsure if this would work with my colouring? I'm very pale, although not a nice white porcelain but rather pinky pale. I have blue eyes too.

I love the actress Zoe Deshanel, with her blue eyes, pale skin and dark hair she looks really striking. But I'm unsure what shade would suit me without washing me out.

Any advice? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    Get black hair! :sogood:

That'll work a treat

ReputationRep:
    I'm pale with dark hair (although I often dye it lighter to make me look less ghostly) and it can look really good on some people, depending upon the shade of hair they choose. If anything, pale skin and dark hair makes you look a bit irish!

Definitely do a wash in wash out test before putting in the permanent stuff. Also, as your hair fades it'll likely go a horrible reddy orange colour.

ReputationRep:
    What about a coppery golden brown? I think it would look nice and gives more dimension plus doesn't wash you out as much as a dark flat brown would

ReputationRep:
    I'm naturally very pale with dark brown hair. It's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it can! It can be one of the most striking looks around imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Had this horrible image in my head upon reading this thread title of some skin acting almost like sellotape, pulling off dark hair from someone else's head.

But anyway, yes, it can work well as long as the contrast isn't too extreme.

ReputationRep:
    If you go to a hairdressers, they'll be able to recommend a shade to suit your skin colour. I regularly switch between blonde and a red/chocolate brown colour, but anything darker than that wouldnt suit me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite pale myself, and I've had a multitude of different hair colours, including pink and blue stripes lol. I was blonde up until this year when I drunkenly coloured my hair pink and in order to fix it had to opt for a brown shade, I really liked it. It looked far more natural that the blonde.

I think if your going to go brown, go to a hairdressers, they will advise you on how to gradually tone it down so that it's not an absolute shocker.

I've just dyed mines red ala Cheryl Cole, think it's my favourite yet. x

ReputationRep:
    I'm ghostly pale and got naturally dark hair, so I don't see why it should be a problem. If you're unsure, try going maybe 2 shades darker frist, then if you like it, two shades darker than that so it's more of a gradual change.

ReputationRep:
    I think a brown would look good, but very dark brown or black probably would be too much of a contrast.

ReputationRep:
    If you're naturally blonde then why are you dying it different shades of blonde? Just leave it as is - dye ruins your hair. I'd stay blonde if that's your natural colour.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I have colouring very similar to yours and I had it dark for a while. I loved it, but it is very high maintenance - the roots growing through had to be touched up every 3-4 weeks, and I found that I looked a bit ill if I didn't wear makeup. I'd suggest going for a mid brown first to see what you think. Maybe a milk chocolate or chestnut colour. That way you can go blonde again if you don't like it, but can go darker if you do.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people are brunettes and have pale skin. I don't see the problem there. But of course, nearly black would probably wash you out.

I have very pale skin, natural brunette hair. Suits me fine. I would look horrible if I was blonde.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura loo)
    Ok, so I've been blonde all my life. I've dyed my hair many times and it's now a few different shades of blonde and looks a bit brassy. It's so expensive to maintain too, and never looks healthy or glossy.

I've been thinking about having it dyed brunette for a while, but am unsure if this would work with my colouring? I'm very pale, although not a nice white porcelain but rather pinky pale. I have blue eyes too.

I love the actress Zoe Deshanel, with her blue eyes, pale skin and dark hair she looks really striking. But I'm unsure what shade would suit me without washing me out.

Yes. But it depends on how dark you're planning to go and how pale you are. You don't want to make the mistake by going too dark and have your hair looking black because you're plae. It'll make you look washed out. Try maybe a warm, mid-brown colour? That way it wont be too extreme incase you don't like it and if you do it'll give you an idea if you like it that dark, prefer it darker or a slighter shade would look better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very pale and dye my hair black and it suits me.

But, I would say that if you're blonde you may want to try a lighter shade of brunette, and progress with a darker one every few weeks, rather than going for a dark colour straight away. Build up to a darker colour, don't do it in one go!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Go to a hairdressers.

If you're worried about the health of your hair though, don't dye it for a while. Dying damages your hair, especially if you're doing it as much as it sounds like you are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.