Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently in the process of joining the RAF as a WSOp. I have my filter interview in 2 days and I'm trying to prepare for pretty much ANYTHING they can ask me.

My Dad is ex-forces and is trying to help me by throwing the hardest questions possible my way in preparation and the one that left me completely bemused was "Why Don't You want to be a Pilot instead?" or "Why don't you want to go for a commisioned position?". To answer these questions you have to find differences between the two professions, however they are very similar and it's difficult for me to come up with a suitable answer that doesn't make me look asthough I lack skills needed as this could also then be applied to the position of WSOp.

i.e ME - "I believe the role of pilot requires a great deal of responsibilty which I do not possess/ can't handle"
    INTERVIEWER - "Well, what makes you think you will be able to handle the great deal of responsibility required as a WSOp then? "
    (Just an example of how they can turn the question around to reflect poorly upon myself)

Am I preparing too much?

I know:
    RAF bases, Aircraft, Roles of Aircraft, Recognition of Aircraft, Current Ops, The process of OASC, NCAITC, Generic Aircrew Training, What training is involved in the 3 potential Streams, The role of NATO, purpose of NATO, the countries in NATO, the role of the RAF, the history of the RAF.

Any additional revision topics or tips would be appreciated, to the pilot specific question or the filter interview in general.

Cheers

--Myers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you would say that you can't handle the responsibility, because you're just playing into their hands if they're trying to find flaws :confused:

I have no idea how these sorts of interviews work, I have no intention of applying to the RAF, but wouldn't it be better to say "I believe the role of pilot requires a great deal of responsibilty which I believe that with work, I would like to and will be able to possess"

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick here

ReputationRep:
    I'm not applying for the role of pilot, but as being a pilot is a very prestigious position within the RAF they could ask why I didnt apply for that instead of WSOp.

Also, that question was just a poor example to exaggarate the situation, I wouldnt actually say that in an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myers2k10)
    I'm not applying for the role of pilot, but as being a pilot is a very prestigious position within the RAF they could ask why I didnt apply for that instead of WSOp.

Also, that question was just a poor example to exaggarate the situation, I wouldnt actually say that in an interview
    Aah I see Sorry, my mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of thinking of a pre-formulated answer to the question, just tell us now. Why would you rather be a WSOp instead of a pilot? There must be some reason. Is it because you're not interested in flying the aircraft? How about because you feel that you're more of a do-er rather than a planner (NCO vs Officer)

Officer roles are managerial and more big-picture whereas the non-commissioned roles are more technical. A WSOp is still in charge of his section of the aircraft and is given rank appropriate to the responsibility but at the end of the day the pilot/ Captain is held accountable.

EDIT: Also, you seem to have pre-rejected yourself for pilot, thinking that you don't posses the necessary qualities. Don't. It's OASCs job to do that. If you want to be a Pilot, then put it down and have WSOp as another choice.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response Schleigg, as I have no previous experience in either roles, I would be happy to have applied for either, why I chose WSOp over Pilot is honestly because you are streamed due to your performance in aptitude tests and other assessments. In essence, they choose for you based on your innate abilities.

Do they give you the option to change your options after/at OASC? Due to Pilots and WSOp BOTH having to go through OASC anyway.

I would assume not as they would expect you to know Pilot training etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your response Schleigg, as I have no previous experience in either roles, I would be happy to have applied for either, why I chose WSOp over Pilot is honestly because you are streamed due to your performance in aptitude tests and other assessments. In essence, they choose for you based on your innate abilities.

Do they give you the option to change your options after/at OASC? Due to Pilots and WSOp BOTH having to go through OASC anyway.

I would assume not as they would expect you to know Pilot training etc.
    So, using the counter-questioning you did earlier, why do you think that you wouldn't have wanted Pilot? Streaming is based on ability and the Force's needs.

However, if you say that you haven't applied to be a Pilot because you don't want to be one, you won't get 'marked down'. People have preferences, there's nothing wrong with that.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    I would be happy to have applied for either
    I'm sorry, but that doesn't cut it. To get any position, especially one flying, you have to want it. Just 'being happy to apply' isn't nearly enough for anything, especially in these ultra-competitive times. Just wanting to be in the RAF isn't enough. Why the Armed Forces? Why the RAF? Why your chosen Branch/Trade? You don't seem to know the answers to those questions, never mind 'why not Pilot?'

WSOp can have as much responsibility as anyone else on a Crew at times - sometimes more. Say there are 12 tonnes of mixed operational freight - a mix of ammunition, chemicals, fuel and weapons - the Loadmaster is wholly responsible for the safe loading, securing, segregation and legality of that load. It is their word that the captain takes off, or not, with that load.

ReputationRep:
    i.e ME - "I believe the role of pilot requires a great deal of responsibilty which I do not possess/ can't handle"
    INTERVIEWER - "Well, what makes you think you will be able to handle the great deal of responsibility required as a WSOp then? "
    (Just an example of how they can turn the question around to reflect poorly upon myself)
    Something I've always found useful is to try and always answer questions like this in an interview with a positive response, rather than a negative.

For example instead of saying to the effect of "I don't think I'm good enough to be a pilot", say something more along the lines of "I feel I have more to offer to the role of WSOp" and then give some reasoning, maybe in the area of what Schleigg touched on (do-er rather than a planner) etc.

ReputationRep:
    cons of being a pilot?

definitely the std's

ReputationRep:
    First of all lol at rooster. Secondly are you aplying for Wsop because you want to do it or because you don't think you can be a pilot? The RAF don't measure every role they have against pilot you don't have to want to fly the plane, I am bemused to why you think the roles would be compared bar the fact you fly in a plane the roles are different and both fantastic jobs to be in.

ReputationRep:
    "I believe the role of pilot requires a great deal of responsibilty which I do not possess/ can't handle"

How is WSOp any less responsible? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merlin55)
    "I believe the role of pilot requires a great deal of responsibilty which I do not possess/ can't handle"

How is WSOp any less responsible? :/
    Not detracting from the role that WSOps play. The Captain of the aircraft retains all responsibility and is in charge.

Therefore, if the load isn't secured properly and it rolls away and damages the aircraft, the Captain takes the blame, even though the WSOp was technically the one at fault. Downsides of Command

ReputationRep:
    Cons of being a pilot in the RAF?

Not actually getting to fly. It costs the government far too much in these fiscal times!

Mr. Vice

ReputationRep:
    I've heard the parkings terrible for Typhoon jets and with recent cutbacks you have to bring your own plane
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Therefore, if the load isn't secured properly and it rolls away and damages the aircraft, the Captain takes the blame, even though the WSOp was technically the one at fault. Downsides of Command
    However, the Captain knows squat about the technicalities of the load, IATA etc so has to take the LM at their word. I would add that the 'Downsides of Command' are relatively short 'working days' for those Captains. They go home, no Command responsibilities. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    However, the Captain knows squat about the technicalities of the load, IATA etc so has to take the LM at their word. I would add that the 'Downsides of Command' are relatively short 'working days' for those Captains. They go home, no Command responsibilities. :rolleyes:
    *Before the willy waving competition starts in earnest*

I'd like to point out that was just one example I thought of off the top of my head that was pertinent to my original point.

The buck stops with the Captain. In the same way that if the co-pilot crashes the plane, your point about pilots knowing sod all about the technicalities of the load sorta reinforces my point that the responsibility and ultimate accountability lies with the Captain, not the WSOp or Co-Pilot.

ReputationRep:
    Cons
    Fiery death would be one, not getting as much poosay as one would think are a couple of cons i can think of.

Pros
    Top Gun

ReputationRep:
    a. everyone loves you, especially girls
    b. you get to fly very very fast wizzy things, pose at air shows and then a. above
    c. you get to fly not so fast passenger things and get to invite all the pretty girls to see you at work.
    d. you get to fly even less fast whirly things, get shot at, rescue lots of people, get medals, get on tv radio and newspapers, then a. above
    e. you get to fly a desk for a while, get promoted and if you tell enough people a. above
    f. you get to own your own Sqn, by which time your wife loves you (maybe) but she hates a. above
    g. after a bit more of e. you get to run the RAF after which no-one loves you. This does not matter as you'll have lots of money and probably a Knighthood.

BTW , those are the pros , what was the question again?

Seriously Myers, good luck tomorrow. My OASC interview (circa 1976):

Wg Cdr Pilot: What plane do you want to fly Mr Ikaruss?
    Ikaruss: Oooh, Lightning sir!
    Wg Cdr Pilot: Excellent, my boy, why do you want to fly the Lightning?
    Ikaruss: It's really fast and powerful and er its just the best fighter ever sir.
    Sqn Ldr Admin: Don't you like working in teams then Mr Ikaruss?

Wg Cdr Pilot stares at Sqn Ldr Admin with disapproving frown

Wg Cdr Pilot: There's a good chap Mr Ikaruss, don't listen to him.
    Probably a very good job I never got near a Lightning as I'd be dead by now and wouldn't have had the best 30 years of my life as an AEOp or WSOp as they insist on calling it now!

Crack on Myers, and just be yourself - they'll see right through you if you pretend otherwise.

Ikaruss

ReputationRep:
    Pilots are those who prove the theory that, although there's no 'I' in team, there really is a 'me' if you look hard enough - and boy will they make sure you know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.