Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xmas temps - have to work Xmas Eve/Boxing Day? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you become a Xmas temp in retail, are you likely having to work Xmas Eve/Boxing Day? I'm currently a graduate working a 9-5 job at min. wage, so am keen to get some more money in the run-up to Xmas. I would be only really able to temp at the weekends. The only thing 'issue' I have is that I haven't been home since March, and so having to work Xmas Eve/Boxing Day would seem to stop me going home (which is 3 hours away)? Do stores let you continue your Xmas temping at a store that's at home?

Hope this makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audacityofhuge)
    If you become a Xmas temp in retail, are you likely having to work Xmas Eve/Boxing Day? I'm currently a graduate working a 9-5 job at min. wage, so am keen to get some more money in the run-up to Xmas. I would be only really able to temp at the weekends. The only thing 'issue' I have is that I haven't been home since March, and so having to work Xmas Eve/Boxing Day would seem to stop me going home (which is 3 hours away)? Do stores let you continue your Xmas temping at a store that's at home?

Hope this makes sense!
    If your contracted days fall on christmas eve and/or boxing day then you've signed to agree you'll work those days.

If where you're working is anything like mine, as a temp you're not eligable to take time off as holiday (plus existing workers will probably have booked it off well before you started.)

When I had my interview I told the manager that I wouldn't be able to work those days as I had already organised stuff that wasn't cancellable so hopefully they'll honour that as I told them before I started that I couldn't work it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Christmas Eve is not a bank holiday, so working that day will be the same as any other. Boxing Day is a bank holiday (for retailers that work 7 days a week) so you need to check your contract. If you can find someone to swap they may let you have it off.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.