Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview on wednesday at bristol, and I still have to do my subject audit bit for Secondary History and I have no idea what to write.

And to add to it all my boyfriend of 3 n half years just broke up with me last night .

Feeling more nervous from it all now....

any help much appreciated! x

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm really sorry to hear about your boyfriend, now is the time to totally focus on yourself and getting through the interview – although you must be heartbroken, use this as an opportunity to stop thinking about everything else and focus your attention.

So, the subject audit. If I was faced with this – this is what I’d do.
    All they want from this is to understand where your strengths and weaknesses lie. They want you to show you can be reflective and objective about yourself – critical skills for a trainee teacher. The physical layout of the information on the page shouldn’t matter too much – just be logical and concise.

I’d start a draft with a simple list – put down every subject area you have studied, to what level, and how confident you feel now about it. Be honest and reflective. I can remember most stuff from my degree but there are grey areas where I’d need to refresh – the same with A Levels which were a long time ago for me! Note down any smaller parts you might need to revisit.

Look at the curriculum, and compare it to your list – what are the gaps? Where would you need to brush up your knowledge? Put these down in a second list – again show you’ve linked them to the curriculum by popping down a few references.

Then I’d finish the page with a short action list – so what are you going to do to address these gaps? Go back over old essays? Read up? Look online, attend a course....whatever it is that you think would help.
    Then you just need to sort the information in to a presentable format. Keep it concise and bullet point where necessary. Use headings to make it clear what you’re showing, like:
    • Subject areas covered
    • Subject areas where I am confident
    • Gaps in subject knowledge
    • Next steps to address gaps

Above all, remember this is just one small part of a bigger picture – what you say and how you answer questions is all as important, so try not to get too hung up on it. Think of it as a tool to help you understand your own grasp of History better, and to help you figure out where you need to improve.

The very best of luck – be confident and use this opportunity to take your focus away from other rubbish stuff life might be throwing at you.

Lizz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Main83)
    Hi

I'm really sorry to hear about your boyfriend, now is the time to totally focus on yourself and getting through the interview – although you must be heartbroken, use this as an opportunity to stop thinking about everything else and focus your attention.
    you’re showing, like:

Lizz
    Thank you so much. I do feel a bit of a mess right now and I have lots of essays to do aswell but I'm going home tomorrow to get prepared and this has really helped.

I think if anything it's making me feel less nervous because I'm thinking of other things but this is very important to me and I'm going to give it my best

thanks again

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to find the most popular subjects taught for History at KS3 and up. Have you had any luck with this?
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    I'm struggling to find the most popular subjects taught for History at KS3 and up. Have you had any luck with this?
    Thanks
    http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-sta...ory/index.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link.

I had read this before, but it gives the broad range and content of History, not specific subjects, which I presume is down to the individual school's history department? What are the most common subjects? And most popular for GCSE?
    I'm finding it difficult to write a subject audit without knowing these?

Please help :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshing-fairy)
    I have an interview on wednesday at bristol, and I still have to do my subject audit bit for Secondary History and I have no idea what to write.

And to add to it all my boyfriend of 3 n half years just broke up with me last night .

Feeling more nervous from it all now....

any help much appreciated! x
    Whatever you do, do not feel nervous. Kate and Jayne are lovely. For your subject knowledge, just write what units you studied, what you do not know. What you have done to build on this knowledge. Thats what I did and that somehow managed to help me get a place.

I am at Bristol at the moment and I believe you must be having Kate for interview (who I had in interview and she is lovely and is a great University tutor) as Jayne is in a SEN option group in the afternoon. Kate is lovely, she has helped me through a very bad break up and issues with my school and she really is supportive. In the interview, remember she wants whats best for you. Answer her questions, do not waffle and be truthful. She likes pedagogy a lot. Also metacognition. But the key is to reflect, reflect, reflect.

If you have any questions do contact me and I will happily answer them just be yourself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.