Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I really want to apply for the Cambridge Early Years PGCE, but it's impossible to get the experience in a state school by the Dec. 1st deadline. Cambridge's website states,

"We expect that all applicants for a PGCE course will have undertaken at least 5-10 days recent work experience or observation in a UK state school, working alongside children within the appropriate age ranges for your course choice, and be able to draw on this experience in their application.

I'm an overseas student who is getting a masters in the UK, so it's been impossible to get the experience during term due to my lecture timetable. I'm now trying to arrange something for January. I have years of experience working with kids in classrooms, professional settings, etc. at home and currently volunteer with a few youth organisations, but just don't have the required state school experience.

Is it better to send the application by the Dec. 1st deadline without the work experience? Or is it better to wait until I get the experience and then apply late? Any advice is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tem11)
    Hi everyone!

I really want to apply for the Cambridge Early Years PGCE, but it's impossible to get the experience in a state school by the Dec. 1st deadline. Cambridge's website states,

"We expect that all applicants for a PGCE course will have undertaken at least 5-10 days recent work experience or observation in a UK state school, working alongside children within the appropriate age ranges for your course choice, and be able to draw on this experience in their application.

I'm an overseas student who is getting a masters in the UK, so it's been impossible to get the experience during term due to my lecture timetable. I'm now trying to arrange something for January. I have years of experience working with kids in classrooms, professional settings, etc. at home and currently volunteer with a few youth organisations, but just don't have the required state school experience.

Is it better to send the application by the Dec. 1st deadline without the work experience? Or is it better to wait until I get the experience and then apply late? Any advice is much appreciated!
    I have an interview for the Early Years PGCE at Cambridge and hadn't found anyone doing Early Years there, glad someone else is out there!
    My advice would be to apply as soon as possible, the course is so competitive I wouldn't risk submitting it after the 1st December because they'll probably already have too many applicants so won't look at ones after that date. You've got nothing to lose by applying now and it's not like you have no experience whatsoever, you actually have loads of experience with kids! If you put on your personal statement/work experience statement that you're planning experience in state schools then that, along with the lots of experience you do have, would sound great I'm sure! I wrote on my application that I'm going to use the time between now and next September to continue visiting schools, as I only had 10 days or so in schools up to then.
    If you don't mind risking losing £17 I'd go for it, as you won't be losing anything and you can always reapply next year if you're unsuccessful.
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response! I ended up phoning Cambridge and they said the Early Years isn't nearly as competitive as the Primary course and that they won't even look at applications without the experience. They suggested I wait and get work experience and then apply a bit late. They said they look at applications until February/March for Early Years. Thankfully I've landed some work experience for next week .

Good luck with your interview!

(Original post by Rachel-88)
    I have an interview for the Early Years PGCE at Cambridge and hadn't found anyone doing Early Years there, glad someone else is out there!
    My advice would be to apply as soon as possible, the course is so competitive I wouldn't risk submitting it after the 1st December because they'll probably already have too many applicants so won't look at ones after that date. You've got nothing to lose by applying now and it's not like you have no experience whatsoever, you actually have loads of experience with kids! If you put on your personal statement/work experience statement that you're planning experience in state schools then that, along with the lots of experience you do have, would sound great I'm sure! I wrote on my application that I'm going to use the time between now and next September to continue visiting schools, as I only had 10 days or so in schools up to then.
    If you don't mind risking losing £17 I'd go for it, as you won't be losing anything and you can always reapply next year if you're unsuccessful.
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tem11)
    Thanks for the response! I ended up phoning Cambridge and they said the Early Years isn't nearly as competitive as the Primary course and that they won't even look at applications without the experience. They suggested I wait and get work experience and then apply a bit late. They said they look at applications until February/March for Early Years. Thankfully I've landed some work experience for next week .

Good luck with your interview!
    Ahh that's good news! Good luck with the application, hope you get an interview too! Glad it's not so competetive to get onto, I wasn't sure but guessed it wasn't as I haven't found any other Early Years applicants on the forum.
    Thanks I bet I'll get pretty nervous nearer the time!
    Do you live somewhere nearby at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel-88)
    Ahh that's good news! Good luck with the application, hope you get an interview too! Glad it's not so competetive to get onto, I wasn't sure but guessed it wasn't as I haven't found any other Early Years applicants on the forum.
    Thanks I bet I'll get pretty nervous nearer the time!
    Do you live somewhere nearby at the moment?
    Thanks! I'm currently doing a MSc in Education at Oxford so I'm in the UK but am still a few hours from Cambridge. I've never actually been to "the other place" but I hear it's lovely .

I'm sure you'll be great in your interview- let me know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tem11)
    Thanks! I'm currently doing a MSc in Education at Oxford so I'm in the UK but am still a few hours from Cambridge. I've never actually been to "the other place" but I hear it's lovely .

I'm sure you'll be great in your interview- let me know how it goes!
    It's really nice yeah, I only live 20 minutes away so go there a lot! I've been to Oxford a couple of times. I was thinking about maybe doing the MEd that the PGCE can count as half of, guess I'll see how it goes and decide partway through the year or something. What was your first degree in?
    Thanks yep i'll let you know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.