Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    All I can say about Durham is that its got a nice cathedral. You could go out clubbing in Newcastle. Princess Eugenie goes there so you might be able to marry into the royal family. I don't really like the clubbing in Newcastle - too full of geordies saying black-and-white-army and why-eye-man all the time.
    If you want to nail the princess you could try Digital or the Legends rock bar as a lot of toffs go there.
    Newcastle is all toffs and chavs. I would avoid it personally and go somewhere where people have minds of their own and aren't so tribal.

ReputationRep:
    house parties don't make up for nightlife. house parties always end in catastrophe. IMO. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    There isnt a lack of nightlife in Durham, clearly its never going to have the variety and scale of the big cities but ive been here for a year and a half and ive never got bored or felt the need to go to newcastle. Through uni sport I spend a lot of time going to full weekend events at other unis, these always include a fri and sat club night (yes i spend an entire weekend away doing sport inc. 2 big nights out, so that should answer any comments about work load) I have literally never enjoyed one of these nights more than many of my nights out in Durham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk <3)
    but arent there loads of house and flat parties or parties in halls to make up for the lack of nightlife????!?!!!?!?!!? please help i dont know if i should firm durham or st andrews - both are totally equally good unis so its a tie-break!
    there isn't a lack of nightlife! use the search function, I've answered 'is Durham fun?' questions at least ten times on here!

Anyway...people went out at least five times a week in 1st year if they wanted to.

Typical week:

monday - academy/studio
    tuesday - studio 50p night/klute
    wednesday - loveshack
    thursday - studio/klute
    friday - klute
    saturday - academy/studio
    sunday - klute

Obviously you wouldn't go out 7 nights a week as that'd be a lot of Klute or Studio! But there're also corridor/house parties, college bar crawls (14 bars), having a night in your college bar, trips to Newcastle, society dinners/socials, etc.....

ReputationRep:
    Durham would DEFINITELY be better than st. andrews.

ReputationRep:
    and loughborough haha

ReputationRep:
    Been to both on open days. St Andrews has to be one of the most boring and depressing places I have ever been. In the middle of no where, 1hr.30 mins from Edinburgh, with just lots of little quaint pubs and a very small town appeal. The positives with durham is that it has that quaintness as well as being a stone's throw away from a major city. Alongside being (IMO) better on the employment opportunities, makes it much more appealing.

ReputationRep:
    I got into both Durham and st andy's but college life is so appealing, especially compared to a small town that doesn't have it's own station.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.